Riding on bow

I was thinking of switching from our bowrider to a cruiser. Is it possible and/or legal to ride on the bow of a sig if all body parts are within the rail? From a safety standpoint I am taliking about older teenagers and adults only.

Skunkman,

"Teen boy severely injured when he fell from the front of a 270 sIg while under power. The captain took an evasive maneuver to avoid a (rogue wave / log / irresponsible jet ski / you can pick any other cause) which caused the teen to fall over the 6" rail"

If you do not like the headline, do not set up the situation. There are enough accidents on the water without adding risk!

Just my humble opinion!

I would never be one to encourage unsafe behavior but I have to say that I spent a lot of Saturdays and Sundays sitting on the bow of a Caravelle cuddy cabin hanging onto the bowrails and feet hanging off the bow. Of course we weren't running WOT or jumping 4 ft wakes, either, and we made sure we were hanging on and staying secure.

That is not the same as sitting in a bowrider by any stretch and it amounted to 1/4 or less of our overall water time at max.... we had no interest in sitting up there full time.

My wife was on the bow of our Sig 290 laying on the affixed cushion when we were pulled over by Florida Wild Life patrolman. He said he could have issues a $160.00 fine, but gave us a warning instead. However, I spoke with a patient, a Seminole County marine officer who said it was legal and several weeks ago, we were adjacent to a Coast Guard patrol, and we specifically asked if we could lay on the bow. They said it was not a problem with my wife then proceeding to the bow with them observing. But perhaps in this instance it has something to do with her being very cute.

From a safety perspective, I would have to agree with the above sentiments. However, reason should prevail. In both instances we we going less than 10 MPH along calm waters in the Intercoastal.

Whether or not you get a ticket, it is a reason to get pulled over and boarded. Then they find my guns and dope. Not to mention my out-of-date flares and suspended license.

Probably easier to ride in the boat...

brick

With my 260 it wasn't comfortable too big of a slant and didn't feel safe. With the 330 it's much more flat and doesn't bounce as much.

Based on all the thoughts above, maybe I shouldn't allow that either.

Absolutely NOT!!! One of the most dangerous things to do. I've seen accidents where the person got bounced off and run over.

YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Mass its illegal.

With my 260 it wasn't comfortable too big of a slant and didn't feel safe. With the 330 it's much more flat and doesn't bounce as much.

Based on all the thoughts above, maybe I shouldn't allow that either.

Your the Capt. If anything happens, its all on you.

It is possible, although, as many others have stated, not entirely the brightest thing to do. And it is indeed legal in many states, among them Wisconsin and Minnesota, where I boat.

Only time someone is on the bow under power is if we are coming into dock, and if currents/winds are such that I need someone on bow to "lasso" a dock finger almost as a spring line, then turn wheel into dock and reverse engine to pull stern in. In this situation, no wake speed only. Having said that, this is a rare situation, but does happen.

What about in a no wake zone such as coming out of a large marina (takes 10-15 minutes)? Ive seen sunbathers lounging on the deck while navigating to the open lake. I assumed that once they reached the open water she would come back to the cockpit. Just curious...I wouldnt allow it. But this was a 40'+ boat I observed.

Last week I completed my Marine Enforcement course and I wish to thank Brick for confirming what was thought on the course. Here I thought they were exaggerating but now I am 100% convinced that every check of a vessel will be very very thorough. Its so refreshing folks on this forum share everything.

As for riding out on the bow, that subject didn't come up in the regulations, however I agree with all that it would be a :slap: move.

Illegal in my state while boat is underway at any speed, but I will sometimes allow it. When I do use my discretion, always at no more than 6 or 7 knots and under ideal conditions in no wake zones or open water. I started with a bowrider and almost bounced the kids out of it, which is one of the reasons I moved away from that style boat. It was fun, but the kids were exposed up there and I didn't feel comfortable at all...

My cynical side here. I remember growing up, we had a 24ft Fiberform cabin cruiser, and we would ride up there all the time with our legs dangling over the side crusing at 30+ mph. I remember flying across the lake and because you were so far forward you could barely hear the engine, just the rush and noise from the wind. Awesome feeling. Probably one of the many reasons I love boating so much. The one thing my Dad made us do was to make sure we were straddling one of the vertical risers / handrails. Of course, when I was growing up (I was born in 1969) we didn't have car seats, airbags, child safety this, child safety that, etc, etc, etc. And somehow......apparently against all odds according to the safety Nazis.....I survived.

Now days, everyone's a safety Nazi and we have to have laws against just about everything. Sometimes....just sometimes, in life you need to take a chance and maybe do something a little on the dangerous side. Add a little spice to our otherwise very regulated lives. And they are very regulated. Try comparing scuba diving in the US to just about anywhere else.

US= Safety Nazi,

Everywhere else = you're an adult and a certified diver, you should know how to stay safe.....if not......a Darwin Award maybe in your future. .

And.......the last time I checked, I'm a responsible adult and I think I know what's best for me and my family.

OK, that's my two cents......carry on people......nothing to see hear.

Greg

OK, I understand that you should only allow people to sit in designated sitting areas. My question is regarding a sun deck on the back of the boat. I was told that as long as the sun pad area has a rail around the outside edge that it is a legal place for people to sit during travel. Can anyone confirm this?

I know that in DC/Northern VA waters it is illegal to be sitting/laying on the bow while the boat is in motion. We for stopped twice by both Coast Guard and Harbor Patrol. Fortunately we were only "wanted" and no ticket was issued.