MattE

#&$@%+# OIL FILTER WON'T COME OFF 350 MAG MPI

Hey guys,

Subject: 2005 240 Sig 350 Mag with remote oil filter

My mechanic bailed on me for the pre boating season service, so I'm doing the service myself. I have changed the leg oil without any problems and I have sucked the engine oil out the dipstick tube. The 350 Mag has the remote oil filter so I thought it was going to go easy peasy! Not so fast! I have tried the filter wrench (fail) and then on to the strap (fail again) and I still can't get this thing off! At this point it is well mangled and a few drops have come out of the filter. Would that be enough to release any possible built up vacuum pressure? I do my own oil changes on the 3 SUV / trucks that we own, not to mention that I have been servicing all my own vehicles for 25 or so years. So what am I doing wrong? It's still counter clockwise with the filter upside down no? What's next...any suggestions?

One other question while I'm here. It was getting dark and I couldn't find where the water separator filter is located. Could one of you point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

Matt

Get a screwdriver and poke it though the oil filter. That will give you the leverage you need.

Maybe.

If the idiot who installed it was jerk. You maybe screwed. Could wind up buying a new housing & filter.........Put lots of rags under it . can get messy under the filter.

Maybe a 7 year old filter.

If you get an OEM oil filter, ensure it is part # 35-858004K (Mercury) or 35-858004Q (Quicksilver). This has superior filtering capability, especially at higher RPM, plus the side walls are a lot stronger than the regular OEM oil filter.

Counter clockwise is indeed correct to remove the old oil filter. As was mentioned try poking a screwdriver through the oil filter.

Your fuel filter is most likely inside what is known as a Gen III cool fuel module. Regardless of type, facing the stern of your boat from the cockpit, your fuel filter will be on your lower left hand side (starboard). In MY 2005, MerCruiser changed from the old spin on water/fuel separating filter to the Gen III type unit on all V8 MPI Bravo models.

Item # 21 (disc filter) is the more important filter to change. Item # 26 is of secondary importance. Will need a 10 mm socket or wrench.

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/350_MAG_MPI_HORIZON_ALPHA-BRAVO/884717001/11652-70

I had same problem last year. After destroying 3 filter wrenches and one strap wrench I was where you are now. A neighbor had a proper oil filter wrench, i looked on in awe.....this sucker was turbocharged and after cooled... He put it on the filter and off it came. It was basically a very sturdy filter wrench, I will ask the brand when I see him later.

The 350 mag has a "cool fuel" system. The fuel water separator is not a spin on filter. It is a paper cartridge that installs into a permanent housing on the starboard side of the engine. Looking at the engine, it will be on the left side of the engine just below the alternator. You will see the fuel line going into it. The housing has three machine screws that you remove allowing the canister to drop into your hand. Have some oil absorbent pads handy for over flow.

The 350 mags are funny eggs.......but after the initial intimidation.....they are just another engine to play with.

As mentioned. proper (not cheap) filter wrench, or screwdriver to remove. Or better yet, go for a ride, get the engine and bilge nice and hot, THEN try and remove the filter. Always put a Ziploc or plastic bag under the filter when removing to catch any oil that comes out.

One trick I tried last year was poking a few holes in the top of the filter with a punch to let the oil drain out before removing the filter. When I remove the old one last year I didn't have one drop fall out on to the block. Nice change from years past when I would go through a few paper towels cleaning up the drips from removing it before I punched holes in the top.

"If you get an OEM oil filter, ensure it is part # 35-858004K (Mercury) or 35-858004Q (Quicksilver). This has superior filtering capability, especially at higher RPM, plus the side walls are a lot stronger than the regular OEM oil filter." Completely agree with this, the high-perf ones are far superior to the standard OEM.

Greg

If you get an OEM oil filter, ensure it is part # 35-858004K (Mercury) or 35-858004Q (Quicksilver). This has superior filtering capability, especially at higher RPM, plus the side walls are a lot stronger than the regular OEM oil filter.

Counter clockwise is indeed correct to remove the old oil filter. As was mentioned try poking a screwdriver through the oil filter.

Your fuel filter is most likely inside what is known as a Gen III cool fuel module. Regardless of type, facing the stern of your boat from the cockpit, your fuel filter will be on your lower left hand side (starboard). In MY 2005, MerCruiser changed from the old spin on water/fuel separating filter to the Gen III type unit on all V8 MPI Bravo models.

Item # 21 (disc filter) is the more important filter to change. Item # 26 is of secondary importance. Will need a 10 mm socket or wrench.

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/350_MAG_MPI_HORIZON_ALPHA-BRAVO/884717001/11652-70

Shep - Is the disc filter really more important to change? I've always pulled it out and cleaned it with card cleaner and thrown it back in with a new #26 filter. Why Mercruiser doesn't sell the disc and filter together is beyond me.

Greg

I did the same thing on my 5.0 mpi this winter,destroyed the filter. Stumped until I saw my super size channel locks hanging on my tool board. Clamped them at the base of the filter next to the mount. Came right off no more damage. Next year this is my first filter tool.

Thank you so much for all the responses! The oil filter was changed this time last year by my mechanic. I will poke one or two holes in the top of the filter and see if that works. The filter wrench that I have now was a good quality wrench but I think I may have shortened it's life trying to take this filter off. Large channel locks sounds like a good idea.

As far as the fuel / water filter goes, I'm almost certain that this MPI is taking the metal filter that looks like the oil filter? I have had the boat 3 years and I'm pretty sure I have the right one? Hmmm :blink:

Get a screwdriver and poke it though the oil filter. That will give you the leverage you need.

Yep!

Are you sure you are turning it the correct direction? And remember to put some oil on the new filter's gasket.

brick

I have and use a chain / socket wrench tool similar to this for stubborn filters. I actually had to use it this past weekend on my 264's first 20 service. The factory installed oil filter was guerrilla tight but came off using this tool. It did crush the sides but still broke the seal and spun off.

http://www.papahardware.com/shop/auto-hand-tools/socket-chain-spanner-120mm/

Typically, over-tightening of an oil filter causes the rubber rim seal to fuse with the metal mounting flange when high engine temps occur. This fused seal is stronger than the thin wall can of the filter and so when you attempt to twist the can (via strap, screwdriver, etc), it deforms and collapses before the seal is broken. We've probably all been there...

I have found that using a very sharp (razor-like) flat implement to sever the rubber seal at least partially will always allow the filter to be spun off. I have a "tool" that started as a painter's 5-way tool that has been adapted for this task.

It's very important that the tool blade be sharp and flat (imperfections can gouge the flat filter mounting surface). Lay the blade flat on the flange, tap gently with rubber mallet. Do this in a couple places around the filter base and it'll usually unscrew by hand.

Okay! I was able to get the filter off.

There could be one issue though! When I punched a hole in the filter a piece of metal from the filter was sitting on the edge of the threads when I took the filter off. It would of been big enough to fall in the hole. So now I'm wondering if there was any other piece that has fallen in the hole? I tried getting my flashlight in there the best I could but it was hard to tell. (The tip of the screw driver is where the metal was sitting.)

Any great suggestions? It's possible that it's fine and there's nothing there but.........!?

post-13040-0-62694600-1400695915_thumb.j

Stick a magnet down there. It couldn't have gone far. I believe the flow of the center hole is going back out to the engine already.

I have a magnet that will go down a couple inches but that's it. if there was a small piece of metal in the hole or tubing, I'm guessing it would be blown back up in to the filter and stay there??

Look at the filter, does it look like a piece is missing? Can you remove the filter mount and flush it?

I thought of that but it really is hard to tell. Removing the line is probably the right thing to do? I wonder how hard it is to take the remote lines off the side of the engine. Its easy up top but it looks almost impossible to get down by the motor.

This makes me want to scream!!!!!

There is a company call Tekton that makes a great set of oil filter pliers. Google TEKTON 5866. Works every time.

Ha just as I return from the garage...I just duct taped a Gatorade bottle to the end of the shop vac. With it being clear, it will give me a good idea how much oil has been pulled up anyway. I`ll give it a shot tomorrow!

Here is what I sucked up in the shop Vac....a nice piece of metal! Be careful about poking holes in your Oil filter in order to remove it. The Gatorade bottle attached to the Shop Vac hose worked great.

Well I tried posting a photo of the metal that I sucked out of the remote filter tube but I can't get my photo's as small as 66.09k. If there's an easier way to post pics let me know. Anyway, thanks for everyone's help!