She won't start now- did something wrong- Help!

Well- I think I screwed up.. I installed a new horn today.. Everything went well- horn works great. Went out on the lake and took her for a spin.. Around 10 minutes in I go to mash the throttle and the engine shuts down. I go to restart and nothing. No gauges sweep. No beeps. No engine crank. Nothing.. but the Helm has power, radio works, lights work, blowers work, etc.. I check all the breakers and fuses.. All good.. I turn the battery switch off and then back on- put the key in and turn.. still no beeps but the engine now turns over but won't start.. very healthy engine crank but no start.. I suspect ignition issue of some sort.. Had to get towed back to the dock.. Memorial day weekend looks shot.. Here's what I did earlier in the day.

I installed a Hurricane Air Horn. It came with a relay and wiring harness. You take your leads from the factory horn and plug them into the harness.. Here's where I think I screwed up.. Instead of taking power from the back of the helm horn switch I instead tapped into a random positive feed at the helm panel.. I notice now without the key in when you push the horn button the horn sounds and the gauges "pop on" and sweep. That's gotta be the start of where I went wrong...

I checked the fuses at the engine and the various breakers and nothing appeared to be tripped. Any input would be welcome.

Thanks,

Rob

Good call About you possibly causing a sudden electrical problem.

Might be 2 separate problems.

Gl115 lanyard bumped loose.

I would REALLY CAREFULLY open up the SPLICES you made. Better yet. Remove the splices & wires. Did you use any ...SQUEEZE ON .. connectors ? They can cut the wires. Did you use the electricians, cut, strip & wire nut the 3 wires . Was the wire too short & you had to STRETCH it enough ?

There are a lot of things that could have caused this problem.

Or a unrelated part just let go.......................Lots of logical steps to do to get a solid Idea what has failed.............

Moral of ANY IMPROVEMENT ?? NEVER make any changes before a holiday.

Well- very embarrased to say the safety lanyard came off (actually 1/2 off) apparently when I hammered the throttle. I didn't notice it... I just assumed I messed something up since an hour earlier I was knee deep in the wiring harness at the helm.. More embarrasingly I failed to trouble shoot what should have been step 1 and detach and reattach the lanyard! Thank you for your replies.. At least glad to know nothing major and I'm back in business..

Well- very embarrased to say the safety lanyard came off (actually 1/2 off) apparently when I hammered the throttle. I didn't notice it... I just assumed I messed something up since an hour earlier I was knee deep in the wiring harness at the helm.. More embarrasingly I failed to trouble shoot what should have been step 1 and detach and reattach the lanyard! Thank you for your replies.. At least glad to know nothing major and I'm back in business..

yeah ... lanyard tripped and shift not fully in neutral are always things that can cause embarrassment! hey, how do you like the horn? loud enough? do you have install pics? enjoy the holiday.

cec

sh it happens, glad it was something simple, laughter is the best medicine.

30 plus years of boating, small craft warning on the rivers today so I took out the fishing boat to a small lake, perfect day , caught plenty of fish, pull boat on trailer, wife hooks up winch strap, I get off bow onto trailer, slip off trailer and fall backwards into a foot of 60 degree water, after a good laugh wife pulls out boat because I don't want to get my truck all wet and just glad I always bring a change of clothes and shoes and my wallet is in a water proof bag. my trailer will be getting some no skid

I used those stick on non skids for years. But Have gone back to wet paint & coarse sand for long lasting grip everywhere.

Thanks, its a steel trailer so black with sand wont look to bad. especially the new epoxy paint.

All the trailers are sand coated on all the flat surfaces. Frame, neck & tops of the curved fenders. Anything I could possibly step on with or without a boat fully on the trailer. Traction is great for bare feet.

Last couple of trailers I helped with, we pour the sand on from a bag. A person is following with a strong leaf blower. he blows it off within seconds of it landing on the wet paint....................That eliminates any possible peaks of sand. Very flat & even colored sand layer.

We put cheap tarps under the trailer at the paint shop. The shop & us did the paint & sand job outside on a still air day...........The sand does carry for a short distance.

Do a practice run with a 1" opening on the corner of a bag to see how many sand bags you will need.

REMEMBER

You must have WAY MORE bags so you can do the trailer before the paint dries. We just bought way more than we could ever need. Returned the rest.

No fear at the end of a slippery season now..........You can powerwash sand in paint very safely.

I have 10 ' long X 2" wide powder coated diamond plate on its way today, there using these on utility trucks to climb in and out, told a few people at the parade what happened and a buddy says we will fix u right up, even bringing down water tight rivets, can't wait to see this.