Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob and betsy

Headed to Temple Bar just after Memorial Dy crowd.

14 posts in this topic

Not sure how many of you are spending this weekend on the lake?

We are headed to Temple Bar on Weds, enjoying the lake after many have headed home. Weather looks like it will be good.

Always a great trip to Lake Mead, although we have to be a bit careful with the lake down again this year about 30' compared to the last time there, 2 years ago.

Well, we got back y/day afternoon. We had a great time enjoying the lake even though the water continues to drop. Looks like it will set the record this year for the lowest if things don't change soon, beating the low in 2010.

Lost a bearing buddy on the way but carry a replacement and fixed in Barstow. We stopped for a burger and as always, pull out my IR temperature gun and read the bearing temps. The fronts with the drum brakes were both at 108* and the freewheeling rears about 99* each. Pretty consistent temps so felt good, even with the bearing buddy missing. I put on my spare unit, filled it back up with marine grease and continued on. Temps were only in the high 80's so felt pretty good that all would be well. No other issues. We got 15 mpg traveling there.

Thurs and Fri on the lake almost by ourselves and stayed at Mushroom. Water still cool and with air temps only at 100, we still had a little shiver jumping in.

Sat came and so did 4 young guys on an old "barge" setting up camp next to our's Fri night/Sat morning. After a few of their off color remarks and language, we decided to move on and find another beach.

Spent some good time going back in many coves, keeping a close eye out for obstacles, with the change in water level.

Headed back in late afternoon with the winds kicking up and felt a strange vibration just before greeting back to the marina.

Pulled the boat out of water and after wiping down back at the cabin, lowered the out drive to try and help flush out the quagga mussel water left inside the system. Instead of just water. I saw a line of oil draining from the rear of the prop. Ouch.

I pull the prop to find the rear bearing had failed, allowing the drive to wiggle a bit, back and forth.

Today's project is pulling off the lower drive for inspection.

I guess the old saying, "it's better to be lucky than good" applies here. It happened at the end of the last day on the lake and we made dot back in safely.

Now I just hope the luck continues after pulling this guy apart.

More updates to follow.

Thanks for the trip update. We are headed to Mead in 3 weeks. We have a slip at Callville Bay. Looking forward to getting on the water for a week.

Really watch for obstacles as the water level is almost down to record low levels. Now about 1089 with record at 1081 in 2010.

Water still a little cool.

Have a great trip and enjoy it safe.

Thanks Bob, I'll be on the lookout. We hope to make our way thru the narrows and find a few coves to kick back in.

Hey Guys...Instead of starting a new topic I will try and pick your brains here..We go to Lake Mohave every summer "last 3 years" and have yet to make it to Mead. What are your likes/dislikes between the two? We camped at Powell last year but didn't bring the boat. Did the dinner cruise and the 3 hour sight seeing tour. I know Mead is very low but we are interested in checking it out someday..Thoughts please??

Chernefitter,

It has been a few years since I've been to Mead or Mohave. The past few years I've been going to lakes up north, Shasta & Nacimiento. I'm taking at trip to Mead in a week so I'll let you know what it's like.

In short I've enjoyed both lakes the scenery is much the same. Mead is oviously a much bigger body of water and allows for more coves ect. to kick back in if you enjoy that.

rrjoy thanks for the info. Man I have been trying to post pice like everybody else but can't get it done. Even put the wife up to it and she bailed on me...Okay enjoy ur trip..we will be going to Mohave june 25...might see you on the road. One thing I have noticed with our year boats and trailers..we all have those chrome multi-hole rims...kinda funny. I want to up grade but money is scarce right now..Okay boat safe..And yes we like coves..Gasoline Alley at Mohave is one favorite....ususally spend hours swimming having brews and the kids climb rocks and jump off.......

Hey Guys...Instead of starting a new topic I will try and pick your brains here..We go to Lake Mohave every summer "last 3 years" and have yet to make it to Mead. What are your likes/dislikes between the two? We camped at Powell last year but didn't bring the boat. Did the dinner cruise and the 3 hour sight seeing tour. I know Mead is very low but we are interested in checking it out someday..Thoughts please??

Well, just opened this page again and see you're at Mohave today.

We've been to all four lakes along the Colorado and I rank them best to least best...Powell, Mead, Mohave, and Havasu.

Just like their order coming down the Colorado.

Lake Powell is breathtaking. We've done two Houseboat trips their and you can't believe the beauty. Finding a good spot overnight means stopping by 1-2 p.m. to ensure its empty. Not sure if the waters high enough, but going back into Cathedral Canyon is what a place to see. Storms get crazy there as the walls of the lake just reflect the waves. Lots of boats sink there.

Lake Mead is very low but still the largest lake of all three by max volume. Although it's only 41% of its total capacity! it's still amazing? We've been there for 3 houseboat trips over the years, once when the water was flowing over the spillways, it was so full.

The long trips up to Sandy Point or to the dam are crazy neat, unless the wind is up. We normally travel in the early day. We used to go up to the Echo Bay marina just to get a ice cream there. The water's way too low now to get there. We stay at Temple Bar, our favorite place without crowds.

Lake Mojave is our family lake, staying at the old Ramada, now Tropicana because of it's better parking area. Katherine's Landing is alway a pain in the summer but with the water level staying at almost full capacity, there's many sandy beaches to enjoy. We had two jet skis stolen 2 yrs ago and the Park Service says it's not uncommon. They told us that locals from Bullhead City will come down at night and make a killing. They said it, not me. We like to get a slip if the waiting line's not too long and leave the boat on the lake as pulling it out is crazy long. Lots of stress with many trying to cut in line and not wait. I know of one Suburban with a big, open handed dent in their door. I told my son at the time, "do as I say, not as I do."

Lake Havasu is truly the young, single persons, party lake. Too much crazy's for me now. The crowd at the bridge allows for some good eye candy but just not worth the hassle anymore. I used to like racing some of the hot shots with my boat in the earlier years. I found that even with 700 plus hp's, there's always someone faster. Those cats can fly.

You don't dare drink much as the law is everywhere. Not so much fun now.

We're headed to Mojave in late July with the small boat to do so wakeboard ing and skiing with the kids.

Hope you find this helpful.

Hello Bob and Betsy! Just got back today from Mojavee..what a beautifull Lake she is...water clear as a bell(?) Temp of water is around 70 we figured..the kids were like fish all week. We stay a t the crummy motel at Katherine's just to ease the pain of that killer heat. Man its hot there. We live inPalm Springs area, but its not as bad here, I think. Anyway..saw a ton of Chaps on the lake...I think the dominant color was yellow, with a decent mix of red and blue. I talked to a couple while in Gasoline Alley and they live live in Vegas. I asked them about Mead and the wife said it stinks and is horrible!!! She said they found a large oil spill of some sort and in general had nothing good to say about it. We camped at Powell 2 years ago..Took the rv and left boat behind. We did dinner cruise and the 3 hour tour complete with the indian music, which we loved. I hope to do a houseboat trip there sometime, not sure it will happen im afraid. Hey have you done your catalina trip yet?? Im too chicken to take my 252 Sunesta in the ocean. I worked on Catalina back in 1980 as a plumber, before I joined the Pipefitters union in L.A. Ahh the stories I could tell about that 3 month excursion....Okay Brother...Boat Drinks!! John O.

I just returned from a week on Mead and it was great! Yes the water level is down but still lots of water in that lake. My family and I went out of Callville Bay Marina where we had a slip for the week and spent a lot of time Wakeboarding, Skiing & Tubing and hanging out in coves. During the week we did not see many boats and the lake was so still it made for great Wakeboarding. We went thru the Narrows several times, we loved that. As the weekend approached more and more boaters appeared as did several Houseboats.

I rescued a boater who had been stranded for two days with two passengers. I spotted then on my way out for the day waving a flag they were way back in a cove so I went to check it out. Boy were they happy that I did. They had no phone service and were very desperate. I had the owner of the boat come on my boat and I found a Houseboat and asked them to radio back to the marina for help. We ended up flagging down a Ranger and he took the guy back to his boat to gather the passengers.

The weather was on the hot side 100+ but the lake was great for cooling off in, water tem was 72. We had a wonderful time.

rrjoy11 I could of swore I waved at you on Mohave...same boat same color...Good for you on the rescue!! We all hope we never get in that situation...just proves 99% of boaters are good eggs!!! John O.

Great to hear you had a good time on Mead. A little surprised by the comments of Mead being stinky be the other people off of John's post. I can't imagine getting stuck back in a cove for several days but that's sometimes the fun of having such a big lake and getting away by yourself. Great job helping others.

Still working on my outdrive as it spun and stripped the pinion nut on the vertical shaft. What a pain to repair with all the specialty tools needed but want to get it done right, especially if we end up heading for Catalina layer.

We're headed to Mohave with the kids the last week of July with my brother and his kids. We have the smaller Wellcraft that we will take up there for wakeboarding, tubing, etc. A better kids boat anyways.

We stay at the Tropicana, previously the Ramada Express, and will have to fight the crowds at Katharine's Landing.

Have a safe trip B&B if you are still in town. We are making another trip in Sept to Mohave...Hoping its not TOOOOOOO hot. Love that area...Ok guys safe boating...I wish we had a clean lake closer but I guess 200 miles is nothing to snivel about...John O.