Finally found her...

I have been shopping for a 22-24 foot Chaparral for about 4 months. My wife really liked the Sunesta 244 when we attended the boat show in January. We did a sea trial of a 244 in March but came to the conclusion it was too many deer for us on a first time boat purchase. That led me to hunting and scouring Craigslist all over the US and BoatTrader. I was open to a 224 or 244 if the right deal came along. Well after emailing, calling, and driving to check out boats local and even a few hours away I had given up on finding something for this season.

We went to our local lake yesterday and had a reservation for a pontoon for 4 hours. I bought a tube and tow rope so the kids had something that was suitable for their ages. As I parked the car I saw down at the marina a black/white Chaparral all covered up and what also appeared to be a For Sale sign from 40 yards away. I immediately went over and pulled the cover back and low and behold I saw "244". My heart started racing and I immediately texted the owner. As luck would have it, the skies opened up and it rained the entire time we were at the marina so I was able to speak with the owner and look over the boat. It's a 2010 with everything option we are after but the table.

The owner and I came to an agreement this afternoon on the boat, trailer, lift and I take over his slip. The marina is about 15 minutes from my office so I am going out tomorrow for a sea trial and if all goes well she will be mine. All the service was done by the marina and I spoke with the boat mechanic that did all the work. My wife kept telling me something would pop up when we least expected it. She was right again....

Sorry for the novel!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations! I'm a newbie, but I spent 9 months searching for our boat. The long search was for good reasons....make sure you do two or three things:

1) GOOGLE the HIN. I did this and found the boat I fell in love with had been dropped from a forklift! Didn't cost me a dime. Sure the survey would maybe find it, but that's after a considerable amount of deer spent.

2) Get a marine survey. There are lots of "gotchas" that may and probably will be found.

3) This is optional, but do a http://www.boathistoryreport.com search in the HIN. Cheap and it may or may not reveal issues

Sorry to be a pessimist, but I almost found out the hard way.

I love stories like that . . . waiting to get the boat you want.

We spent our first weekend with the boat in our slip on a lift. Was wonderful to stroll by the looong line at the ramp morning and evening.

Congrats and let's see some pics of her.

Well the lunch visit to the marina involved a curveball. When i checked the boat out Sunday the batteries were dead. I went out today with a battery jumper and got the key to turn over and to my surprise there were 454 engine hours. The owner thought it was in the 100 range...

mmmmmmmm 2 choices

Walk away, seems like the owner didn't take care of it. If he was surprised how many hour were on it.

I would be making a very lowball offer....

Next question how did the hull look?

I don't know if the key was left on or not. I apologize for my lack of knowledge but I thougt the engine had to be running to accumualte hours?

Hull was in a good shape. The inside had a few spots where the seats were repaired (discoloration). Engine bay was very clean. Props and skeg are spotless.

Any service records? That's a lot of hours for an owner to just forget about. Even if the key were left on, the battery should have gone dead before 300 mysterious hours racked up on the meter, I think. Service records should clear that up and allow you to reset the meter "in good conscience." No records, you need to take the hours on face value, which is maybe half the usable life of the drivetrain, and resale will be affected accordingly.

Is it true that the key in the on position will add hours when the engine is not running? That is a surprise to me. If not, it would be hard to believe a guy could put 100hrs / season on a boat and think it was 100 hrs total in 4 years. But if his story holds water, I would not let the hours alone scare me off.

We just launched our new 224 this weekend. (a left over 2012). a few punch list items, but we love it. Only buyers regret is not getting the 244. Actually for what we do, the 224 is better sized - but it does not handle the waves like the 244 (or my old 216 SSi for that matter). I knew that going in - but I will miss it!

The hours seem off based on what he says his usage was. They only used the boat 3 times last summer. When you remove that summer it is even more difficult to get your head around the hours.

For 100 deer the marina will run the diagnostics and check the run hours and RPM (I think).

450 hrs on a 2010 is a lot of usage. Nothing wrong with that, but it's odd that it's so far off his estimate.

Point of comparison, my '06 has 615. Runs and looks great. If I were to sell it, I'd want a premium price for it.

Here's a thought: maybe the meter is reading 45.4 hours and you didn't notice the decimal point. Perhaps the meter measures tenths of an hour until 100. My money's on this being the case. Hope so, anyway.

I took a pic of the hour meter and sent to the owner. It shows 454.0

I have racked my brain every which way to try and understand the hours.

Only thing I know to do is pay the 100 deer and have the engine diagnostics run.

Anything else I can check?