coopaloop

Finally found her...

Unfortunately, not looking good. I just wonder what else the seller is hiding. I can see +/- 50% on the estimate of hours, but nothing like what you're talking about. Our 2130SS doesn't have an hour meter, but I sure now how much $$ I've spent on fuel each year and can back-calculate a good estimate of hours from that.

Have the engine scanned. If it really has that many hours, something is fishy. My hours are shown with the decimal. So Futzin may be right on the money - 45.4 total hours.

brick

Coopaloop,

If you get a chance, ask the dealer about the hour meter running with the engine off and the key in the on position. I would still like to know about that. It does not seem logical. If the ECM still logs actual run hours, why would the meter read out "key in the on position hours" as opposed to "Run hours"?

I would be a little suspect of the owner not knowing if he had 100 hrs or 400+ hrs on his boat... big difference.

If he had that boat the whole time & put that many hours on it, he would know that boat inside out.

If he had digital gauges and the hour meter did not show unless you go into the settings and load it (Like on my boat), and the hour meter actually ran with the key on and engine off like was earlier suggested in the post. It seems very feasible to me to think you ran for 100 hours or so and had the key on for 400+ (maybe he needed, or thought he needed, to leave it on for some accessories)

Cant wait for the verdict on this one!

Plot thickens....The owner is the 2nd owner. It's a 2010 model that was purchased in November of 2010 in Kansas. So I assume one summer on the boat prior to his purchase. Boat fax confirms a certification date of April 2010.

I just called the dealer he bought from to track down the service records but was told the US Patriot Act would not allow them to release the service records to me, only to the original owner.

If you assume his 100 hours since he purchased it that means 350 hours in the one summer. Hard to wrap my head around.......fingers crossed it is a faulty gauge or leaving the key in the ignition has run the hour meter up.

I just called the dealer he bought from to track down the service records but was told the US Patriot Act would not allow them to release the service records to me, only to the original owner.

Wha? Who paid for the PPI? You or him? If you paid for it, you're entitled to see what you paid for.

I haven't paid anything yet. The marina in Kansas said they would not release the service records to me, only to the person that bought the boat from them.

Oh, thought this was the same marina doing the ECU scan, and they would not release those records to you, since it was not your boat.

Yes, I can see them not releasing the past service records on your ask (not sure it has anything to do with the Patriot Act, just good customer service maintaining privacy), but if the seller is motivated, he should give them permission to do so.

Have the current owner provide written consent to release copies of, or at least view the service records. I can somewhat understand the marina's position, but the owner should step up here if he's not trying to hide something. I would insist on this release of records or "Good Bye", tell them to find another sucker and to get their stories straight next time. "The truth shall set you free"

Mystery possibly solved while I wait on the engine scan.......Once the dealer (not a Chap dealer) that sold the boat to the current owner in Kansas rejected my request for service records I called the only Chaparral dealer within the area. I spoke with one of their sale people and explained the situation and provided him the HIN. He was very helpful and looked through his sales records from 2010 and the boat did not show up on his log.

He then asked if the boat had a ton of hours (ding ding ding). He said the dealer who sold the boat is known for buying boats at auction off of Table Rock Lake in Missouri. I told him the approximate hours and the in service date of April 2010 and sales date of November 2010 and he said sounds like a rental to me. The unfortunate part is the guy selling the boat was adamant it was not a rental when we spoke earlier. It even makes more sense the sales person that sold the boat was so firm on the US Patriot Act and not telling me anything about the boat they sold.

Still will see what the engine scan shows but unfortunately if the hours are legit at 454 I am walking and will continue my hunt.

Thanks for everyones help and recommendations.

As Kenny Rogers said...know when to walk away! Too many unanswered questions. There are others out there. In fact, my son has a great 2009 224. great shape and less than 200 hours. ACTUAL HOURS! May want to sell.

Exactly.....I am not sure what to tell the owner I think the answer is to the high hours. Will wait on the engine scan and when 454 is correct I will walk.

Tough break but that's life.... :slap:

Good investigative work. You now deserve the right boat to come along, but the right one might require a bit of travel. :)

I'll play the devils advocate card for you. It is a 2010 244. Without the high hours and clean it is worth 35-40 I guess. A new power plant is going to cost around 6K I guess.

I would tell the owner he got hosed by the prior seller. If he has any morals he cant in good mind sell it to the next guy knowing what he now knows without disclosing it. I would shoot him a 25K offer, and if you need a powerplant, you still got a deal. Suck the boat into your paws when the seller is weak! you could have the best deal ever on a 244. If the rest of the boat is sound and clean, it is worth a consideration

Coopaloop,

I know when shopping for a new toy the excitement sometimes clouds my better judgement... I was in the same position when shopping for a boat. It seemed that the ones I found had to many hours, to few options, the wrong color, to high of a price....

My only suggestion is patience will bring you the right boat. As suggested by others, have a Survey by a certified surveyor and have a motor evaluation done with an oil test. I would recommend not having the marina that has been doing the service work do this evaluation. Get an independent evaluation.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing the pix of your new boat...

I would not let the hours scare me away necessarily if you can get it for the right price. If the hull is in good shape, factor in a rebuilt motor cost in a year two and try to factor that into the selling price. Just because it has 450 hours it doesnt mean that it wont last for another couple hundred or more. It all depends on how it was cared for.

I plan to wait on the engine scan results. If it comes back with 454 then I will discuss with the owner and see where he wants to go with the price and process. I think he needs to call the dealer he bought from and get the service records and/or the facts about what he bought.

450 hours equates to around 25,000 miles on a car engine. However, it's not just the engine to consider, but the wear and tear on just about everything. And, rental boats just aren't the most gently driven things around.

How's the hull and vinyl? I would suspect if it truly was a rental, it would show quite a few scratches on the hull and wear on the vinyl.

The vinyl has 4 spots that were repaired and the color is off slightly. I have already reached out to the local boat vinyl guy to discuss repairing/replacing correctly. I also found the part #'s from the Chaparral website and had planned to call and discuss costs to repair.

The hull appeared to be in great shop. When it rained at the lake on Sunday i took a wet shirt and wiped as much of the boat down as I could. I found one gouge under the rail that goes around the boat. Pretty obscure unless you feel for it. The props and skeg did not appear to be beat up.

I took one of the guys that works for me along for the trip yesterday. He has been a long time boat owner. He commented the engine bay was really clean, the other storage areas were clean. The carpets were in good shape.

I think you've hit on the truth. They do rent plenty of Chaps at TR . . . prolly a lot of WOT in those 454 hours. Good luck.

Oh yeah, this is exactly the kinda thing congress wanted to prevent with the Patriot Act.