Kcjefff

Bimini Issues

Hey all,

First season with the 2006 246SSI. I'm having issues with the bimini. First, the starboard aft pole is missing, so I am searching for a replacement. Dealers want $170 for a 36" aluminum pole. Ridiculous! Second, we went out with it as a test with only the one pole and straps attached aft as well as fore to keep it stable. Was very secure. However, with every bump, the one aft pole popped out of it's clasp. Attached is a picture of the fitting. I've never seen one like this. Does anyone else have this style pole? Is it a common issue with them? I was ready to fork over the dough since I love the bimini when pulling kids around all day, but now I am concerned I might need to pay someone to swap out the hardware to make it reliable. On top of all this: when I went to put the boat away after the weekend, I couldn't get the pole to come out! Isn't that the way it always goes? Won't stay in when you want it to, won't come out when you need it to!

post-41497-0-01561200-1401205962_thumb.j

I have the same boat and Bimini. My setup is exactly the same as you but I have two poles that can be removed to expose travel short poles. I have never had any issue with the poles staying locked in. If anything they can be difficult to take out if you don't apply downward force. Have you tried Cecil marine for your leg. Seems this company supports the chap crew. 170.00 seems extreme for a 36" pole. I bet the pole kept popping out because just one back stay was in, possibly applying sideways force or just to much force for just one pole. You won't really know you have a problem until you install the new second pole and give it another try.

I have the same fitting on my aftermarket New Dimension tower with Bimini. Fittings work great. Are you sure that you have it snapped into place? Check to see if the spring loaded release is working.

brick

I'll give those guys a call. You may be right about it not being snapped in. Hence why I can't get it removed now