Beta

Looking to buy a 2007 190SSI...advice needed

My wife and I are looking to buy a boat. We live in Southern Louisiana.

We have a 14 year old, two 16 year olds and a 20 year old still at home. We also have a 21 year old daughter with a 2 year old grandson.

I have come across a 2007 Chaparral 190 SSI with the 220HP Mercury Engine that seems to be in excellent condition. Owner told me she bought it new and it has about 160 hours on the engine.

2007 Chaparral SSI 190 yellow ski boat with yellow matching trailor. 220Hp V-6 engine with extended swim plane. CD Player mp3 ipod auxiliary jack with 4 water resistant speakers (purchased new this past summer) . Compass, depth finder, digital hour meter, electric horn, 2 built-in coolers with cockpit drainage system, trim indicator, extended swim platform with boarding ladder, and automatic bilge pump. Radio and trim controls in the back of boat by swim platform. Docking lights, court lights interior lights, fulling reclining chairs. In-floor ski storage, tilt mahogany steering wheel, power steering, locking glove box, stainless steel cup holders, air pump. Pop up cleats, battery on/off switch, 3 blade propeller. Inboard outboard motor and fiberglass hull. Runs great I've never had any problems with it just don't use it enough to want to keep paying a note on it.

I'm posting a picture of the NADA she posted. Do you guys feel this is a good NADA value? The things she added...can you really add value with those things or are they just assumed? For instance if you trade a car in, they give you the value of the car...regardless if you have a new stereo system in it, spray in bedliner, tinted windows...etc.

Low NADA Retail is $19,705

Average NADA Retail is $22,485

Her adds were:

Radio with 4 speakers (don't all boats come with a radio and speakers?

Depth Sounder

Bar/Console -- is this really an add?

Fuel Injection -- I guess I can see this. She said 190HP is standard, but she has the fuel injection upgrade which gave it 220HP. Nada is saying 220HP is standard. True?

Transom Bracket Single Engine--- I have no idea what this is, if its standard on a boat or if it really is an upgrade.

I can buy the boat for $13K. She has agreed to a test drive as well before purchase.

First: What do you guys think about her valuation and sell price?

Second: I am looking for a boat to take the family out on (6-8 people max) and have some fun. Cruise around and probably pull a tube/wakeboard. Is this a good boat choice?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

post-41554-0-39525600-1401208585_thumb.j

post-41554-0-79809000-1401208586_thumb.j

post-41554-0-78269500-1401208588_thumb.j

post-41554-0-91969300-1401208590_thumb.j

post-41554-0-54077900-1401208592_thumb.j

post-41554-0-17610700-1401208594_thumb.j

post-41554-0-55469900-1401208596_thumb.j

Nice looking boat.....but a V6---in my opinion....not enough power....depends on what you expect. For 13k I would think you could get a engine with 2 more cylinders.......

She said it will do 50+ and tows with ease.

I'm not looking to break any speed records.

I want something economical as well. If it cost me an arm and a leg in gas everytime I take it out...I won't use it as much.

My friend has the same boat and power plant - Does fine for tubing - skiing. I don't know the top end - I would guess high 40's but that should be enough.

If you said you can buy it for 13 large deer - do it twice!

I just sold a 2000 216 SSI for more than that. You will be able to use it for 5 years and sell it for the same price!

Nice looking boat form the pics

at 13K, a survey may be a good idea - should cost 300 or so and give you piece of mind!

Is her NADA evaluation fair?

I am 95% sure I am going to get the boat. It seems like a very very good deal.

I think low retail on NADA - Skipping all the "Adds" - is usually a fair deal for a boat. Fair meaning the buyer nor the seller got too much. I would never buy a used boat for that amount because I am greedy and want more!

SO if it was real clean, and I liked it, I would pay around 90% of the NADA low retail.

But it seems your starting off lower than this - looks like a deal to me.

The price seems fair. Get the survey results, and review the service records, paying attention to any unusual repair work. Use that to negotiate a final price.

brick

I have almost the same boat with the 190hp. We load it up similar to you as well. It does everything you'll want and need and doesn't drink a ton of gas. Make sure it has a 4 blade prop. The price actually seems low, so it's either an extremely motivated seller or might be hiding something. A mechanical survey may be in your interest if you like the test drive. Take your family on the test drive too

She is extremely motivated. She just needs it out of the way and sold. She sold it to her uncle a year ago and he recently had knee surgery and is in bad heath. Can't really use it and not very computer savvy.

He asked her if she would buy it back and then just sell it herself...to which she agreed.

Her words: " I have gained too much weight to wear a bikini anymore and I work 6 days a week and just never use it " lol

It has the 3 blade stainless steel prop. Is that bad?

What possible issues should I look for on this boat?

Thanks guys!

If it checks out mechanically I'll buy it and sell you mine....jk

The 3 blade as prop isn't bad, that's probably where the 50mph comes from, but for water sports and the amount of people is suggest a 4 blade. I also added smart tabs for $130 and the boat runs smoother in rough water and planes quicker.

Other than the smart tabs and changing the prop for water sports sounds like an excellent deal. See if the seller will include all the life jackets, dock lines, and other gear.

Not too much I can add here. The price is pretty low for an 07 with that many hours and considering it is spring. Hopefully there are no hidden issues and also make sure the boat was properly winterized. A few things that do bring the price down is the V-6 engine, which would not be a deal breaker in that size of a boat. The only other downside is the back to back seating w/rear jump seats as opposed to dual buckets with a rear bench and sunpad. It does have the extended swim platform which is very nice. I like the yellow, always thought that color stood out well on the water.

Got her down to $12500 pending a test drive and inspection.

I am happy.

I actually don't mind the seat configuration. I am assuming I could probably change it out later on if I want.

She said it has 8 life jackets, 2 docking ropes, anchor, paddle, 2 bouys, ski gloves and 3 fire extinguishers and new battery.

THREE fire extinguishers!! I hope that's not any kind of indicator. :slap:

The seating isn't awful. I used to lay my port side back to back down to make one large bench seat.

Thats exactly what a coworker said!

He was like...what are they doing on the boat? Boiling crawfish? Having a fish fry? lol

That's decent power for that boat - the 5.0L engines are not fun to work around either. 4.3L MPI will give you good power and decent fuel economy.

Would look into having the transom bellows, engine alignment, impeller, and distributor cap and rotor looked at. Routine stuff. 60 lb. Smart Tab kit makes a lot of difference too. Good luck.

+1 on all the above. FYI.... I just saw this boat on eBay for 15 large deer or best offer. Assuming it all checks out, I would go for it....beautiful boat.

My first Chaparral was a 2006 190ssi with the same configuration and it was a great boat for our family of 5. We decided after a few years if we were going to invite anyone else it was time to buy a bigger boat but we all have nothing but fond memories of that 190. Looking at the condition of your boat and that trailer tells me it looks well taken care of on the surface. A painted trailer with no rust? This boat never saw the ocean correct?

Yes I saw the ebay auction as well. She had forgotten about it. Called her this morning and she is ending it. We agreed yesterday to buy it.

Boat has never seen the ocean. Lake Pontchartrain is where it has spent its life.

This will be my first boat I've ever owned. (besides alumaweld fishing boat) We will see how we like it and how often we use it and then if an upgrade is necessary, we can look into that.

Initially I was looking for a deck boat, but just stumbled across this deal and couldn't pass it up.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I am going to like it here. I am an information junkie, so you will be seeing a lot of me. :)

After I have the boat in possession, I will pick your brains on accessories, add ons, service and I am sure much more. lol

Based on advice here I ran a boathistoryreport.com and it shows no issues besides 2 recalls, which I will look into.

No accidents, no salvage, no liens, etc.

All clear! yay

I'm meeting her on Sunday. She lives about 2.5 hours from me. I am trying to find a service tech that could possible meet us and take a look at the boat before running it and purchase.

I think you did good and that will make a nice first boat. I almost bought that exact boat in black last year for just a hair less than what you are playing but someone beat me to the punch.

OK, so I still haven't got the boat.

We had plans to meet this Sunday and take it for a test drive but because of all the hard rain we got last week, every waterway was closed where she lived. (and she was unwilling to drive the 2.5 hours to come to my area) (I even offered to pay for all her gas and food)

We delayed getting it till next weekend. I just couldn't bring myself to buy it without driving it, no matter how nice she and the boat seemed.

I also called and called and called around and could find NO MECHANICS in her area that would meet us on a Saturday or Sunday and give a survey. How important is this? If I put the boat in the water and run it good for 20-30 minutes, shouldn't I be able to tell of any major issues? Could someone maybe give a little lesson on what I personally could check and look for? (pictures would be helpful)

Thanks

It is buyer beware, so always good to have a professional survey. But if you cannot, look the boat over -on land - very carefully. Look for any damaged/repaired areas. Them launch it. Run the boat at every speed. Check every gauge and switch. Load the boat as you intend to use it. Look in the bilge, ski locker, etc. if it doesn't look or feel right, wait until you can have any issue reviewed.

My gut tells me this boat will have no issues. But try to take your emotions out of play. And happy boating.

brick

Based on advice here I ran a boathistoryreport.com and it shows no issues besides 2 recalls, which I will look into.

No accidents, no salvage, no liens, etc.

All clear! yay

I'm meeting her on Sunday. She lives about 2.5 hours from me. I am trying to find a service tech that could possible meet us and take a look at the boat before running it and purchase.

boat history report, car history report etc. is not even worth using for toilet paper, if a boat is damaged and not runthru an insurance company, like flood boats, these places don't get the info. and your neck of the woods has not had the greatest weather. don't be afraid to crawl and take pics in every crack and crevice of the boat, ggod luck,