nkdenton

SSi Electrical schematics - really? Is that it?

Well, I am at the moment of truth to wire in the Lenco AutoGlide trim tab controller and I look at the electrical schematic on the CD that came with my Owner's Kit and it is a really crappy, blurred image of the original schematic with what looks like some manual markups from some electronic editing tool like Adobe or something. The thing was saved at such a poor resolution that you can't even read most of the wiring marks or text.

So, I went to Chap's website and asked for help and within 24 hours had a response from -- my dealer, of course. No problem, I was happy for the quick response but once again Chap sends EVERYTHING to the nearest dealer instead of engaging directly with the owner. Okay, well so does Ford most of the time so I can deal with it. The dealer gets a clean image from Chap and sends to me and voila, now I can read everything, but when I get up under the helm, I cannot make any sense of the morass of wiring in the harness nor correlate it to the schematic, which is turning out to be more or less useless.

I can't figure out where I am supposed to pull 12V from to power the controller and the GPS, and I have no idea which wire I am supposed to use as the 'signal' that activates the auto-retract when the boat is switched off.

So before I trailer down the highway 15 miles to the dealer and pay him the one hour of shoptime to do it, anybody got a hint for me how to wire this dude up? I see "Accessory" on the breaker panel underneath the helm and wonder if that is a candidate or is that already going to the 12V power point in the cockpit?

I'm just as puzzled where to wire in the Fusion Bluetooth module to my Clarion head unit's wiring harness. Everything is so bunched up and zip-tied together I can't see anything obvious.

Hints? Thanks in advance folks.....

Ahhh ... you found the rat's nest under the helm. Fascinating, isn't it ... after you get over the initial disgust.

The 12V DC power for your Lenco controller ...

You can pull power from any positive bus bar you find inside the helm. There is one, main or general purpose bar, under the helm dash on my boat, and there is another at the foot of the helm designated for electronic navigational equipment. It really does not matter which one you use ... use one with the most convenient access and spare terminals. Now, the negative bus bar ... use one that corresponds to your choice of positive bar.

Signal connection for your Lenco controller ...

You can use the switched ignition key terminal ... key on, power one. You can also use one of spare acc switches. That would give you a full control over power to the tabs. That way you could switch them off or reset them anytime without needing to switch the engine off. Works well for me.

Good luck ...

Many thanks, Richard - that actually helps a great deal. I will dive into it tomorrow and see where it takes me. I changed majors from electrical engineering to mechanical engineering in college for a reason. :slap:

On another note, I have to say that I felt like I got away with something running the tab control cabling into and across the engine compartment. It was 100% clear for the through-hull drilling we did for the actuator cable and we just zip-tied to the wired remote that was already run across the back of the engine hatch. With the aid of a skinny college kid home for the summer, we just removed the port side aft ice cooler and insert, and he pretty much just tucked himself right in, applied the 5200, zip-tied the cables and then reached over the back of the engine to put two more ties in. The starboard side was equally easy as he did the same duck and tuck into the stowage compartment under the walkthrough. What I was expecting to be a bloodletting of cuts and contusions dealing with existing zip-ties and clamps was actually the easiest part of the job....even if I hadn't had the skinny kid doing the work, I wouldn't have had much more problem myself.

Just finished installing my 12 inch Lenco Tabs. I pulled power through an added fuse to the main hot bus behind the dash and connected the orange wire to an unused Acc. Switch on the dash. Love the fact I can leave the tabs down when I turn the boat off. I'm very happy I choose the LED controller as we'll.