Mhans

Fresh water fill vent

2011 Sunesta 264

I am having trouble filling my fresh water tank. Filling thru the cap Using a standard water hose...I get a "vapor lock" after about half-a- gallon as it fills up the neck...it slowly goes down, but I can't run the hose continuously without it locking up...slowly will fill my tank...it behaves like the vent isn't open..bubbles up after a few seconds like an air-lock..and I can't find the vent? Diagrams from Chap don't include the vent. Is there a side tube or vent that comes off of the filler neck? Very frustrating. Can't see anything obstructing the tube.

Thanks,

Mike

The vent is in the cap. I'm thinking there is a kink or obstruction in your hose. Waste tank vacuum pump vents overboard, but I don't think you will find a thru-hull fitting for your water tank as it uses the fill line.

W

If a thermostat gets that tiny bleeder hole in it, closing up or fully closed up ? Assuming your thermostat has a bleeder hole. That can cause VERY, VERY slow filing of a closed system. Car or boat.

I would suggest crawling in the engine compartment (find a small person) checking the fill line going to the tank.

If a thermostat gets that tiny bleeder hole in it, closing up or fully closed up ? Assuming your thermostat has a bleeder hole. That can cause VERY, VERY slow filing of a closed system. Car or boat.

Cyclops2

He is referring to his fresh water tank, not his engine.

On 5/31/2014 at 10:35 PM, Mhans said:

2011 Sunesta 264

I am having trouble filling my fresh water tank. Filling thru the cap Using a standard water hose...I get a "vapor lock" after about half-a- gallon as it fills up the neck...it slowly goes down, but I can't run the hose continuously without it locking up...slowly will fill my tank...it behaves like the vent isn't open..bubbles up after a few seconds like an air-lock..and I can't find the vent? Diagrams from Chap don't include the vent. Is there a side tube or vent that comes off of the filler neck? Very frustrating. Can't see anything obstructing the tube.

Thanks,

Mike

I don't see an answer to this question. I am having the same problem with my 2013 264. I am thinking the issue is that the vent tube has water in it. If I follow the vent tube from the fill cap, it appears to go down and then come back up to a T-connector, making a "U" shape. I am wondering if when the water tank is over-filled if the vent tube gets water in it and the water sits in the bottom of the U. (sort of like a P-trap). I haven't been able to get the PVC vent line off yet to verify if this is the problem, as it is not the easiest thing to reach and disconnect. I can't really tell how air gets into this line and/or how water could but if this is the case it seems like a poor design and would happen every time someone over-filled the water tank, or used a fill hose that didn't have a steady flowing stream.

I have the same problem. If you try to force too much water in at once the vent tube gets water in it and backs up the fill up causing an overflow.  The vent line opening is just inside the filler cap. You have to be real careful when filling that no water goes down the vent tube at the same time. If your careful you can shoot a burst of compressed air down the vent tube to clear it. If not, you just gotta wait til it clears itself.

Put the hose in as far as you can get it before turning it on. I had to do that on a previous boat with the same configuration. I had a dedicated house at the house that had the end cut off.