Basic question on how to wire from stereo to behind dash

Call me ignorant, but I have no idea how to gain access to run a wire from the back of the stereo to behind the dash. I have an aftermarket stereo with an iPod USB input, and want to run a USB extension to the helm so I can keep me iphone next to me and change songs, etc. I see screws on a lot of the panels in the aft cabin but don't want to go taking them all out unless I know the easiest route. Thoughts? It's a 2002 Signature 300.

Not sure if your aftermarket stereo has an aux input but if so consider a bluetooth add on.. I just added to mine and love the ability for anyone to connect. I don't recall the brand but its a small device the size of a golfball that gets its power from cig lighter or you can hard wire.. Was like $50 or so.. Crystal clear sound.. Just a thought.

I never did a 300 but I got the feeling if you don't own a cordless drill you may want to by one, the term screwing will give a whole new meaning to you. other cruisers and cuddys the bulkheads had to come off.

I have been through this...and its not easy. I have the same boat (2003) and had to remove the aft cabin roof panels as well as the back from the locker which is under the stereo unit. Sort of a pain in the a**. Then you'll still have fun fishing the cable from the stereo to the aft cabin - then its fairly easy to get it to the helm. If you don't have a stereo with remotes, now would be a good time to consider it. I had to replace mine which is why I went through the exercise.

Good luck!

Ben

My upgraded stereo system (double-din Clarion head unit) has a 30-pin iPod cable. I found an iPod/iPhone/iPad Bluetooth device that would connect to the cable and power itself through the same 30-pin same connection. Unfortunately the Clarion head unit doesn't provide power through the cable, so it didn't work. So, my point is if you have a head unit that will also provide power through the iPod cable, get this little baby (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094G44PS/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for $17 on Amazon.com

Before you go the route of the hardwired iPod connection let me just say I have the hardwired connection from the factory on my 246. The control of the iPod from the Clarion head unit is not so hot, and the USB port does not recharge the iPod. I just bought a Fusion MT-B100 bluetooth that connects to the Aux connectors on the back of the head unit. There is also a MT-B200 that connects to the Sirius connector of the head unit if it is equipped with one.

The wiring is dead simple. splice the power wire to the head unit and tie in the Fusion unit, attach the other wire to ground. Bluetooth is so much more convenient and you use the iPod or iPhone or other device to control the playlist, etc.