AMP Install Question

I'm looking to install my old car amp and subwoofer for a weekend trip.

It's mostly for my son and his friends since he's taking the boat out this weekend and would like some 'extra boom' as he calls it.

I have an amp and sub that I took out of my car last year and no longer use, so I figured I could just put the sub box and amp in the storage compartment under the driver console for the weekend. Easy install and easy to take out after the weekend.

We have a 2005 Sunesta 236

My questions are:

1. Should I use the the bus bar for power and ground

2. They have a set of speakers they're using for shore so they won't run the stereo much while the boat isn't running: Power consumption issues?

3. Should I wire the power to one of the batteries directly?

Thanks!

Do you have dual batteries? If so, you should wire the amp to the output from the battery switch. It's best to avoid wiring directly to the battery unless you only have one. If you have a single battery, wire directly to it. I would not recommend wiring to the existing bus bar. The current draw of the amp may be higher than the bus supports. How many watts is the amp? With a single battery you would have to be careful not to drain your starting battery. I have a separate bank of large deep cycle agm batteries to run my amplifiers and other accesories while the motor is off just for peace of mind.

You can power up and ground the amp from the boat's main bus bar, however from my experience I get a ton of engine noise and hiss through the boat speakers when choosing these points. You might not notice this issue being that your running only a subwoofer. If it is only a weekend experience, I would grab power the closest and easiest spot. It doesn't matter where you grab power just remember to wire in an inline fuse no more than 12 inches away from the power source. You will certainly get some additional base with your setup in the storage compartment, but it will vibrate the helm and sound quite muffled unless you open the door.

Good Luck

Great point above, ensure that you aren't pulling to much power through the main power wire. From my experience when running the boat with only the stereo, and no lights or accessory options running, your wire gauge should be ample for you sub amp to run. If in doubt run straight to the battery switch or house battery. Good point JDBretz.

I prefer to run both hot and ground direct from the battery to the amp. Depending on how much power the amp draws, you may exceed the capacity of the existing buss at the dash. 8 ga wire is probably sufficient for a single amp. Always fuse any connection.

brick

For the ground you can wire to the bus near the battery switch as it has a heavy gauge wire running from the battery to it. I would put the positive to the output lug of the battery switch with an inline fuse. Once the engine is turned off, flip the battery switch to either 1 or 2. That will ensure you have at least one good battery to start the engine. Depending on the size of your battery, you should get about 2 hours of heavy play before the voltage drops to the point of causing damage to the battery. If you discharge the battery too much, you drastically reduce its overall life.

Edit: To be clear I would not use the bus at the helm for any high draw equipment, only the main ground bus which should be located near the battery switch.

Great!

So it's sounding like I should use the bus in the storage for the ground and the bus near the batter switch (behing the diiver) for the power with fure obviously.

Any concerns with the amp mounted to the sub and placed in the storage? It'll be a bit loose since we have things in there, but I can make room for it to sit on the ground.

There should be a ground bus located in close proximity to the battery switch. That is the ground bus I am referring to. There should be at least a 0 gauge wire running to one end of it going back to the battery. If there is a secondary ground bus under the storage compartment I would not recommend running off of it, only the main bus. I'm not exactly sure how your boat is wired, so hopefully I'm sufficiently describing the one you're looking for.

If you are being picky, the power and ground cable size needs to match. If you feel the power wire is to small on the main bus by the dash, then the ground is also too small. If in doubt always run back to the battery. I have installed many systems and for an amp that is labelled 450 watts, this amp is more than likely putting out half that amount.