Toddler

Serpentine Belt

Well I changed the impeller last week, The belt looked OK. Being it was 8 seasons old, I called my shop and asked their opinion he stated that if it looked Ok not to worry about it.

Then I asked the big question do you have any? I'll look NO. :o

He states that they usually have them but probably sold the last one and didn't replace the stock. And Since I'm being proactive and asked about the out of stock item. He'll knock off 20 bucks and have one for me in a day or two. Done deal.

Now the question at hand put the new one on or wait till the old one brakes. He said it didn't matter to him; What do you guys think? :scratchchin:

Put the new one on and throw the old one in the tool box for a spare. That way if the new one brakes while your out on the water, you have it to get back to the marina. Then buy a new one and put it back on leaving the old belt as your "spare" tire.

New one on. Throw old one away - any hardening or cracking will only get worse. Decide if you want to carry a fresh spare.

Put the new one on and throw the old one in the tool box for a spare. That way if the new one brakes while your out on the water, you have it to get back to the marina. Then buy a new one and put it back on leaving the old belt as your "spare" tire.

+1 - agreed.

Just because the belt looks "good" doesn't mean it still is. There is a wear indicator tool that helps to determine wear, not its looks.

That old, I'd put the new one on and put the used one on board in an emergency. After all, the last thing you want to do is change it out on the water.

8 years old the belt owes you nothing, change it. sometimes you can go to the better auto parts stores and buy gates belts, they just have to be able to read the number on the belts.

As some one who had the belt fly off last year i can tell you it gets real hot real fast. Change it and carry a spare.

I sprung a leak last summer, and the belt got wet and chewed itself up. I ordered 2 overnight. One to use, the other to have as a spare...

8 years old the belt owes you nothing, change it. sometimes you can go to the better auto parts stores and buy gates belts, they just have to be able to read the number on the belts.

Great point gl115,

OReilly's stocks both their house brand and Gates. Their brand is about 29 bucks, the Gates about 49 bucks.

Get the Gates! Don't cheap yourself when on the water.

they match up the numbers, length with and groves, thats how the go fast boys get there blower belts.