H2O radio antenna question

I have noticed the radio in our H2O barley works to get a clear signal. Upon further inspection the antenna amounts to more than a single wire plugged into the antenna coupler and nothing more than that. The wire has an eyelet on the end of it not connected to anything. The radio fades in and out which is frustrating. Some locations we boat at all it will get is country stations which is a bore to our taste in music.

I bought an aftermarket antenna that I will try to plug that in and see if it improves. I haven't hooked it up yet. Anyone else do this?

Otherwise I'm ok with the radio otherwise.

My thought was if it worked good with a regular antenna plugged in then I will mount it out of the way. Kind of pointless to have a radio that won't hold a station. I really don't think it is the radios fault that it doesn't have a proper set up. We have young kids so radio seems to be best for listening to music to keep everyone happy. this radio has a USB connection that we have yet to use.

I have the stock Clarion head unit with that same white antenna wire with the eyelet on the end just hanging loose behind the helm. Oddly enough that radio locks on and gets incredible reception. I get stations in my boat I never can get in my car.. and zero static.. It must be the head unit..

My reception is questionable and I'm in a highly populated lake. Lake Conroe. Houston, TX play ground. We hadn't worried with it yet. Kind of like the tranquility. Some one else hear installed a hidden marine antenna on their H2O with good results, I'll see if I can find it.

• 1 month later...

well here is an update. Since I started this post this weekend was the first time out since this thread. I plugged an antenna in and we picked up stations that we could not get with it unplgged in stock form.............but now the volume will not change at all. It doesn't respond to being pushed at all.

So I went to the dealer as that was where we were boating Okoboji and the dealer service response was I could take the radio unit apart as sometimes they corrode behind the butons. Uhm the boat is under a year old maybe he shoudl take it apart. Not realy happy with them there and the way they have responded to me on the other warranty work done on the boat.

So I might look into upgrading the radio at this time. The dealer service guy hasn't been a happy guy to deal with. Maybe that is just his personality. He seems almost like it is a burden to talk to him. Frustrating. If I knew this was going to happen I would have considered used instead of new.

The radio volume worked fine during first part of the day. We did cross some rough areas on the lake so not sure if it jarred it some how.

That is a known problem with the stock radio. The fix is to completely disconnect the power supply(both memory and switched) for a few minutes. There is a plug behind the radio that I accessed by laying down from the underside of the console. Unplug the one with about 8-10 wires and then plug it back in. Good luck.

Jrboo brings up a very common cure for electronics.

A full delayed REBOOT. So much of it is pre programed to go back to the original settings after being COMPLETLY unpowered for a minute.

So do a Jrboo of a couple of minutes...............Note.............If the erratic part also has a auxilary battery in it ? I also disconnect it also for a minute / minutes. Then reconnect.

This Asus computer Took a seizure at the age of 1 week old. Asus walked me thru a complete reprogram of everything. Been fine for 3 months.

Still love the old XP formats. This 8.0 is nothing but a computer full of money grabbing ads.

I will do the complete power down before we do anything else with it and hopefully it will clear out. Thanks for the tip on that.

I find it odd on the antenna deal. That some people have no issues and others it is like its not even there (like ours). I really don't want an external antenna but I do like to listen to the radio when drifting. Driving it can stay off.

So I might look into upgrading the radio at this time. The dealer service guy hasn't been a happy guy to deal with. Maybe that is just his personality. He seems almost like it is a burden to talk to him. Frustrating.

A good marine service manager and service tech are worth their weight in gold. You might mention your experience to the general manager or dealership owner.

Acomplete power off ?? May remove any favorite stations.

A good marine service manager and service tech are worth their weight in gold. You might mention your experience to the general manager or dealership owner.

I might message this to them through their Facebook deal. I haven't been the happiest with them there. At one point when they had the boat they must have acid washed it (didn't ask for that) when it was there for the break in check up and it was done on the trailer which etched everything on the trailer that was galvanized and short there after all the supposed stainless steel started showing rusting in various places. Dealer service department seemed at odds about this. At this point in the ownership of the boat we hadn't even cleaned washed the boat ourselves.

I get the feeling the Chap's supposed stainless steel isn't all that they say it is. Dealer replaced all bright work trim and cleats that were showing rust but didn't replace trailer toung jack that was clearly etched. It took a long time for the dealer to get around to replacing the parts. Boat sat there for a long time and they said it was due to issues with manufacture and that they have to follow a process. Not really sure who's fault it was. They did at that time send out the ECM to be reprgrammed to merc as it kept setting codes. So far boat runs great and no alarms thus far other than it beeps every time you turn the key on (short one). All the work that was done was when boat was out of service due to winter.

On the safisfaction thing they send you for your opinion about dealer serve etc I left several marks low and dealer called me about this as they seemed surprised I would do that. Gee we bought a 30K boat new and feel we weren't treated right and they are offened we would call them out on that hmmmm.

I wonder if people that buy the 30' up boats get the same treatment.