SONoftheBEACH

Outdrive is gone

While on the lake Friday afternoon we hit something very solid. The outdrive was severed from the boat and is laying in 9 foot of water. Anybody offer any advice on what to do or what to expect from repair shop or insurance company. Just had got the Monster Tower put on and never even got to use it,

Thanks

SONoftheBEACH

While on the lake Friday afternoon we hit something very solid. The outdrive was severed from the boat and is laying in 9 foot of water. Anybody offer any advice on what to do or what to expect from repair shop or insurance company. Just had got the Monster Tower put on and never even got to use it,

Thanks

SONoftheBEACH

I guess I'd check my insurance policy first, hoping I have the right one for a catastrophe.

Got a feeling when a boat sits in 9' of water it's not good. Outdrive severed? Never heard of such as impact.

Wow!

can u post some pics, would like to see the damage. hopefully your insurance will cover it, call asap. depending on transom damage they may just scrap the whole boat, did u get a damage report from the local LEO's ? they might need to mark something with a danger buoy.

2004 220 SSI 5.7 Volvo Penta 5.7GXI DP engine/outdrive. Boat never fully sank. It was towed to a boat house and hoisted up till we could get truck and trailer to a private boat launch. The boat is now at a service center. The LEO's were not called.

SONoftheBEACH

Pictures? I know my policy covers outdrive damage, including submerged object strikes. Its similar to auto comprehensive coverage...or at least the plan I have is. I hope you're covered!

Seems like no brainer insurance claim. I'm sure the service center will quickly be able to determine the outdrive needed. Sorry for your bad luck. I agree with gl115, there should be an investigation to see what you hit and mark with something asap if found.

Never thought of the fact that it could have been a stationary structure. Just went to the conclusion that it was a suspended object. I was guessing that it was a tree trunk maybe 12 inches in diameter. We boat on a TVA lake and they are constantly pushing and pulling the water here.

Working on the pics.

SONoftheBEACH

Ouch. Wishing you a positive resolution.

Also, it's fairly impressive that the boat did not sink with such an opening in it. How high did the water get?

did it snap the leg in half, or did it rip the whole lower off at the gimbal ring?

Ive seen a boat hit something under water and snap the leg in half. but ripping it off completely would be impressive.

you can create an account on photobucket, then upload them to the bucket. You can then copy/paste the link with %7Boption%7D on both ends to here.

1) my policy with Progressive has an add-on rider that covers these kinds of things (Propulsion Plus is what it's called, I think). Without that rider, I would not be covered under such a situation. Check your policy.

2) Which TVA lake are you on? If you have charts (and you DO have charts, right?), all submerged permanent structures are identified, included flooded,timber, sunken islands, bridges, etc...

Same thing happened to us back in 2006. Cruising up river, 30 mph, looked down at the water in the sun and saw an 8in. log about 6" under the surface. We felt a thud and the rpm's shot up. Didn't even knock my adult daughter off her feet as she waked from bow to the stern on impact. It ripped the whole lower half of the lower unit off and left the bolt threads dangling from what was left. Blue oil covered the surface of the water. This was on a Larson boat with a 5.0 GXI and SX unit. Total bill was over 13 large deer. Everything from the motor back was new. Hats off to my insurance company, they treated us fairly.

Straight up collision claim. Progressive's Propulsion Plus is only for a mechanical failure (complete) of the outdrive.

Glad no one was hurt.

I had a claim, about 15 years ago. Rates did not change. The OP is probably looking well north of $7K to repair. That's what insurance is for.

brick

My rates never changed. We could save a little by shopping around for insurance, but now I'll stay where I'm at. Been with them for years and not many claims.

This is an interesting topic. For the past several days, I've been running up and down the Niagara River. There has been a lot of debris in the river. Mostly small sticks. But I have come across several large logs that fortunately, were not submerged. I narrowly missed somebodies house door. Crazy. I would expect this after a major rain storm which gets the feeder creeks flowing and dumping. But nothing like that has occurred for a while now. Can't really explain the increase in debris.

The other day, I was going to go up our Black Rock Canal. It is usually clean. It was so full of sticks and junk I turned around and headed back. Not worth another engine loss.

Straight up collision claim. Progressive's Propulsion Plus is only for a mechanical failure (complete) of the outdrive.

Glad no one was hurt.

Oopsie - you're correct. It's the Comprehensive that covers the submerged objects....

You hit a "Submerged Object" its covered minus your deductable. Easy Claim Take it to your local shop.

I've had two claims with Boat US my insurence did not go up.