mrvideo

Diving for Gas Cap

Yesterday I was gassing up before spending the day on the water with friends. Between the slack in the rope and a gust of wind, the boat gently bumped the dock (I did have two bumpers out..). Unfortunately, the gas cap was hanging on its silver ball chain between the two, absorbed the energy, and dropped to the bay floor.

The gas attendant says it happens all the time and the water at high tide is aprox. 15' deep.

Fortunately I had my swimming trunks on, dove down and started to look for the cap. The first thing I came up with was a huge Conch shell with a living snail.

It took a few more attempts, and I finally came up with the gas cap !!!

Now its time to get a spare cap.

Good you found it. Those silver ball chains are a real pain in the $^& getting them back in the filler to put the cap on. Plus the length of 4 inches is like the bank commercial about the pen chain.

LOL, I lost 2 of them last summer!! Both times it was the gas attendant who banged the nozzle on the chain and busted it off!!

On the advice of someone here on the forum, I bought some swim goggles to keep on the boat. They came in handy already this season, as we had a tubing rope get caught underneath the boat yesterday.

Thankfully, no need to cut it free, just had the end catch on a trim tab.

You'd think boat mfrs would abandoned the ceiling fan pull chains in favor of a stainless steel capture rope like some luggage tags are using these days...

I am surprised that they let you dive at the gas dock. It is never a good idea to swim in a marina, due to the risk of stray electric current. It is a silent, but well documented killer.

brick

That surprised me as well Brick as it is a significant safety concern. Most refueling docks by me have a large magnet tied to the end of a rope. They will allow you to use it to see if you can retrieve the lost gas caps, keys and other metal items.

Go to the hardware store and get a plastic pipe plug to carry as a spare, about $1.50 vs. 35-40 for a new cap

Go to the hardware store and get a plastic pipe plug to carry as a spare, about $1.50 vs. 35-40 for a new cap

+1

I also carry PVC theaded caps, just for that reason.

1.5"? 2"? Do you happen to remember?

I have the chain on my cap unhooked. The water filler right next to it is still hooked up. This gives me two margins of safety. First, if the cap is hanging by the chain, I can tell instantly that it's for water. Second, the gas cap can not get pulled off by the dock as happened to mrvideo. I carefully remove the cap before the attendant comes, and I set it on the dash right near the key. When fueling is done, I carefully replace it myself. I'd rather have the cap sitting safely in the boat than hanging by a thin little chain. If the water cap comes off, it's at home when I'm adding water, so it's not a big deal to get it back.

I have the chain on my cap unhooked. The water filler right next to it is still hooked up. This gives me two margins of safety. First, if the cap is hanging by the chain, I can tell instantly that it's for water. Second, the gas cap can not get pulled off by the dock as happened to mrvideo. I carefully remove the cap before the attendant comes, and I set it on the dash right near the key. When fueling is done, I carefully replace it myself. I'd rather have the cap sitting safely in the boat than hanging by a thin little chain. If the water cap comes off, it's at home when I'm adding water, so it's not a big deal to get it back.

good idea. but my water and gas cap are on opposite sides. the marina where I fill up hands us the fuel hose and we have to hold it ourselves. so I'm extra careful when I take the cap off for fueling...