Sign in to follow this  
CKBREW

Engine Survey: 1998 Mercruiser 5.7L TBI /w Bravo 3- engine problems

I am taking a survey to see how many people own this engine: 1998 Mercruiser 5.7L TBI with EFI GEN-1 ECM.

Who owns one of these beasts and what typs of engine problems have you had? I have had one for 5 years now, and every year there is a new mysteryous problem that comes up after spring commissioning. 1998 was the first year that Mercrusier used a TBI on the 5.7L engine. If you look in the parts books, 1998 is always off by itself. One Mechanic I had working on it said "that engine is poison". He suggested ripping out the TBI, ECM, distributer, and replace everything with a Thunderbolt ignition and a carburator.

Anyway, If you have this exact engine configuration, please share your experiences on how it runs (ran) and what problems and fixes you have had to contend with.

To start, see my posts "Engine trouble", "1998 5.7L TBI - PPoor running engine- Please help", and "intermitant engine alarm".

post-7982-0-03663100-1402851893_thumb.jp