First boat and new to Chaparral

Hello everyone,

Glad to see there is a forum for chaparral's. I am new to owning a boat and my first is A 1998 Chaparral 205LE. Got a great price for it and am having lots of fun. It was very well taken care of. Has a 5.0 in it.

Hope to contribute what I can to this forum. Most of my experience comes from Automotive. I have a 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th that I have done quite a few things to. It puts down 450 to the wheels. What that means is that I will want to tinker with this engine and see what I can do to get more power.

I GPS'd it the other day and it hit 50+mph. I am not interested in more speed but instead more power out of the hole.

Any ideas

Here are pictures of it

[14449113763_c79f49ed8b_z.jpg

Welcome to the group! I can't see in the photo but assume it is a Merc and has an Alpha 1 drive? Depending on what your intended majority use for the boat is (wakeboard, watersports, etc) or cruising, you may find a 4 blade prop improves your hole shot and gives better low-speed stability. You might lose 2-3 mph on the high end, but in general it is a good trade-off.

Welcome to the group! I can't see in the photo but assume it is a Merc and has an Alpha 1 drive? Depending on what your intended majority use for the boat is (wakeboard, watersports, etc) or cruising, you may find a 4 blade prop improves your hole shot and gives better low-speed stability. You might lose 2-3 mph on the high end, but in general it is a good trade-off.

It is a 5.0 merc and an alpha 1. I do have a 4 blade SS prop and a 4 blade aluminum prop.

Mostly will be cruising, tubing, and some wakeboarding. I think my first steps will be adding new speakers, sound system, and then a swim platform

The prevailing theory I have read on the web is that SS props typically will outperform comparable aluminum props due to material stiffness, etc.

Another differentiator I have read about is that cupped props tend to perform better than plain props.

IMHO, you may do better to add trim tabs once you get your ESP installed. In fact, not sure what your budget is but I would probably go for the platform upgrade with a good SeaDek surface installed on it before anything else. Then do tabs before re-propping.

On the other hand, upgrading the sound system is also usually an important step if the old one has crapped out. Just my :Twocents: