BigRiver

DeGray Lake, Arkansas trip...

In early Aug, we're towing the boat and staying in a cabin at DeGray Lake, Arkansas. It's an annual thing we do every year, first time with the new boat.

Anyone in the area, feel free to contact us to meet up and spend some time on the water. There are plenty of campgrounds, a lodge and back downs for launching.

Walt

my grandparents had a farm over in the Bismark area. We used to go to Lake Degray every summer! I love that place. We used to visit the north end at the Shouse Ford day use area.

If i were close, i would meet you. Hope you have a blast!

We are going to Lake Ouachita August 2-6, 2014. I've been there once in 2005ish. Compared to the lakes in Texas I have been to, it was extremly clear water. Been wanting to go back ever since.

How do the two lakes compare?

This year I am taking the wife to a State Park Cabin. I have thought of making a yearly trip now that we have the boat and tenting it in the future. Tenting it :haha-7383: , with Queen Double High Coiled Air Mattress and portable Air Condition. I come from 11" memory foam mattress in the travel trailer. Must sleep Cool and Dry at night.

Degray is very clear as well. It isnt as busy as Hamilton. Ouachita is very natural, they do not allow much as far as building around the lake. Degray has regulations on building, but there are day use areas, camp areas, and a marina on the big end.

I've never boated at Lake Ouachita but have viewed parts of the lake from land a few times. I'd say that the water quality is near the same but Lake Ouachita is much larger being around 40,000 acres compared to DeGray being 14,000 acres.

What I like about DeGray is that all the surrounding property is owned by the Corps of Engineers. No private development, only recreation ares, the State Park which encompasses the Lodge and Marina and also the only allowed private concession lodging which is Iron Mountain.

Iron Mountain also has a very large presence on Lake Ouachita. I've heard that Lake Ouachita can be very busy despite her size due to the location of Hot Springs. Guess one of our biggest reasons for DeGray is it's a bit closer, coming from New Orleans, after about 8 hours on the road, I'm ready to finish up rather than another 2 hours or so to Lake Ouachita.

We started out camping life at DeGray, renting a small 24' plain jane camper with "Rent Me" plastered all over each side. the next year we moved up to our own 37' fifth wheel which we towed all over the country, laying out about 23,000 mile on the trailer. Kids went to college and we sold the camper, but have refined our creature comforts to renting a cabin at Iron Mountain on DeGray. We'll be at DeGray about the same time your at Lake Ouachita, Aug 3 thru the 11. I may suggest checking out the lodge at DeGray State Park. Reasonable rates and Marina available.

I'll have to make Degray one of my next camping trips. I know ya'lls don't think this way, but I mention tent and I'm free as a bird.

I live 60 miles from DeGray, 70 from Greeson, and 90 from Ouachita. All are great lakes and each has their own "personality". We usually go to DeGray because it is the closest and will be there this weekend. I am going to try to get to Greeson as well within the week.

So let me ask yall about the flooded timber in Lake Ouachita. I see on Navionics there is a bit of flooded timber. When I was there, you could see as deep as the sun would shine, so maybe it is no big deal in Lake Oauchita, but what are ya'lls take?

I live in Bismarck and am on degray almost every weekend I have 2011 246 ssi

You may know my grandparents.

they had built a restaurant over on 347 in point cedar, and raised, and trained race horses for years over there.

Grandfather was Ralph Eason.