MonkeySeaII

Normal Maint. Items

My boat now has 312 hrs. on it and it's in the 7th season. Just wondering what the avg. life is of some of the normal wear items. Such as: starter, alternator, gimbal bearing, bellows, etc. I'm very particular about my preventative maintenance and I try to replace things before they actually break and leave me stranded. So what does everyone think?

Same boat 290 hours. Had to replace u joint, gimbel and bellows last year. Wasn't preventative.

Same boat 290 hours. Had to replace u joint, gimbel and bellows last year. Wasn't preventative.

Salt water right? My boat has been freshwater only, never in salt. But I'm thinking when I have the drive pulled this year for it's 3 yr. check, I'll have the bellows done.

My boat now has 312 hrs. on it and it's in the 7th season. Just wondering what the avg. life is of some of the normal wear items. Such as: starter, alternator, gimbal bearing, bellows, etc. I'm very particular about my preventative maintenance and I try to replace things before they actually break and leave me stranded. So what does everyone think?

I'm at 17 yrs with the original starter, Alt and PS pump. I did replace the circulating water pump at about 100hrs due to drip from weep hole. I boat is salt and fresh water but clean top to bottom every use. ( 650Hrs). A couple years ago I ran across a guy that was parting out an 5.7 engine that the block had frozen. ( Marina said they did, but didn't winterize) I picked up the starter and PS pump for spares. I put them in the truck when I go on boating vacations, just in case. A few weeks ago I replaced the bellows, shift cable, shift bushing, trim senders and gimbal bearing, they all were original 1997. Replaced the Impeller as well but that was only a couple years old. The bellows were still in pretty good shape, I have always used Wurth rubber care on them and all the rubber a couple times a year, keeps the rubber soft and flexable. I felt like I better change this stuff out even though I was not having any issues. I will say, that it was on my mind last season that this stuff is probably getting tired, so I feel better about it now that every thing is fresh.

I do keep a spare Dist cap, button and serp belt on board just in case. I also have some fuel line with a primer bulb (outboard fuel line) that I can connect between the tank and carb should my mechanical fuel pump fail.

So far so good, I have never been left sitting in 17 yrs, hope to continue the trend!

Battery. U joint and impeller are the only major mechanical repairs for mine, 500 plus hours. If its not broke don't throw money at it. Can do regular maintenance and make a repair fund and when you feel you need to replace something put the money in there. When something does break pull money from that fund. If your looking everything over on frequent basis for abnormal wear or fatigue and notice something by all means replace it before you get stranded. Starters and alternators should last for years.