Sign in to follow this  
jason2130

lake shelbyville

Thinking about trying out lake Shelbyville on Sunday. We usually boat Mark Twain and Kincaid but want to try something different. I have heard it is shallow? Is there any reason not to take a 256ssi? Any parts of the lake to avoid due to water condition or any other reasons? Is the water clean? Any problems with water quality staining the boat? Thanks for all the help in advance

Jason

Hi Jason,

Shelbyville is a Great Lake for your 256. The lake has water clarity of 4 feet starting at the dam and goes down to 2 feet at the north end by Sullivan. The depth starts at 60 feet at the dam and goes to about 10 feet at the north end. If you run the center of the lake from the dam to the Findlay bridge you will have no problems. There is a bar and grill in Sullivan on the water called Skeeters. If you go there you need to follow the buoy line from Bo Woods to Skeeters. The access at dam west is in Shelbyville by the dam and has nice ramp and rest rooms.

There are a lots of nice bays to anchor in.

Lots of boats your size and bigger running the lake. We have been running lake since 2002.

Only down side is there is no where to beach.

Shaun

+1 on everything Shaun just said. We used to beach just outside the bouys at Coon Creek Beach by the campground. I haven't been there in a few years, though, Cove 5 is the party area. I have heard that the DNR there have really been a PITA in recent years.

As Shaun said, if you run in the middle, you won't have problems. If you go north, stay in the marked areas.......lot of stumps and it's shallow. If you do decide to get out of the middle and float awhile, just be careful. Couple of years ago we hopped out for awhile probably 100-150 yards off shore of a point just a little north and west of the Coon Creek area. We'd drifted a little, but not much as the wind was pretty calm that day. I'd guess we were 80-100 yards off that point when all was said and done. When I went to get back in the boat, I found that we'd drifted onto an unmarked sandbar and I was in knee deep water. Pretty scary to think about if you're underway. Granted, the lake was down as it was mid-July and had been really dry. All I'm saying, just be real careful especially if the water is new to you! Enjoy!