Sign in to follow this  
elkhound11

1993 Signature 290

I'm the new owner of a 1993 Signature 290 that is in need of a fair amount of TLC. I was aware of this going in but I'm determined to get things fixed and to bring her back to life. I'm looking high and low to find wiring diagram for this year and make but finding it all but impossible unless I'm looking in the wrong place. In any case, any information concerning this year boat would be helpful as I don't have anything but a registration. Please email any information you have to:

elkhound11@outlook.com

The applicable engine manuals will have all the wiring covered for your propulsion system and related controls. Diagrams for ignition, starting/charging, audio warning, instrumentation (w/BIA wire color codes) and how it all feeds to/from the main harness. The rest of the stuff... lights, shore power/panel, galley equip., horn, stereo, wipers, blowers, nav equip... my guess is you'll pretty-much have to trace these things out (whatever you can see/find) and apply common electrical knowledge. Not sure about info regarding the main panel and fuse block. My guess is that's covered by the Chap owner's manual. My boat is fairly simple (shore power, AC/DC fride, stove -- that's about it) but yours probably has more to it. I replaced all my lighting with LED's -- combination of using the existing wiring along with some new wiring. MerCruiser engine and stern-drive manuals (digital copies) for your vintage are fairly easy to get. I don't know about Volvo.

Thanks for the responses ( great wiring codes and I really like the idea of LED lighting ). So far I have found the manual for the stove, its a Kenyon Marine Model 406 and a PDF for it is on the web. The AC/Heat controller is a Cruisair SMX and I emailed the factory today to see if they could help with manuals as well. The engines ( perhaps Yamaha ) I wasn't able to get data off of yet but the outdrives and controls are Yamaha. The generator is some sort of 3K Onan. This too has been a challenge to find information on and I'm still looking. What would also be helpful ( if anyone has the same boat ) is to give me an idea of where things are located. I know under the step is a pump but it doesn't say what its for, under the floor in the rear stateroom is a combination of items and again under the floor in the bow are yet more items. Does anyone know if there was a parts manual for this year boat? I called Chaparral and haven't had much luck. Seems the data is more in line with recent buyers and not so much about support for the older boats. It was suggested that if I purchased a new boat I wouldn't be needing to concern myself with these issues. So, I think I'm mostly on my own with the help of the forum.

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

I'm sure someone will pop in and help you find info on the various "items" you speak of, but adding pictures of the items in question will be the best way to get feedback.

BTW, the pump under the step is your forward bilge pump. Hopefully it never needs to turn on, but if it does, you should make sure it works!

Again, thank you for your help. The Yamaha link is stopped by my internet security program. I will take a look at that later in the day. As for the pump under the stairs, if that is my forward bilge pump I had better take a closer look at it as its electrically disconnected at the moment. I hadn't thought of adding pictures but I have a couple you might be able to help with. Then I will have to go out to the boat to get more. Between the outboards are three items. I know the one to the right is the sensor for the speed. I have no idea of what the two to the left of it is. The other two pictures are in the engine compartment.

post-41927-0-61176600-1404415356_thumb.j

post-41927-0-88464700-1404415409_thumb.j

post-41927-0-65890500-1404415435_thumb.j

Be prepared to fix quite a bit. I have had my boat for 3 years now, have replaced gimbal bearing, bellows, new battery charger, new potable water pump, replaced both bilge pumps, shower sump, new waste water tank, new hot water heater, macerator, replaced continuity kit. Not to mention new anodes, oil changes, belt and hoses, outdrive oil, recondition props. And I'm not done. Risers and manifolds this fall.

So I would take a look at the critical items and prioritize them first. Good luck.

Greg

On the transom you have a pitot on the right, as you stated, for the speedo. The other two appear to be transducers for depth finders / sonar units. Not sure why you would have 2?

I knew going in that this would be a project as well as a bit of a learning curve. The last boat I had was 20 years ago and it was just a 19' open bow. However, I have had larger RV's for years and I can see things like the hot water tank, electrical systems, fride, holding tanks, generator and so on being somewhat the same. The big advantage to the RV's I have had was they were always new so I had the support and manuals if needed. I'm retired now after spending 32 years in the general aviation industry ( avionics shop ) and I'm just looking to stay a bit more on the busy side. This was one of my last projects ( one of 2 1973 Javelin AMX's ) and I still have this:

post-41927-0-99328500-1404498758_thumb.j

Ok, I now have a fair amount of information concerning the AC/Heat system in my boat. If anyone is needing data of their Cruisair DX system let me know.

The engine will be a GM block, Marinized by Yamaha, and mated to a Yamaha out drive. Engine parts will be easy to find, a bit tougher for the Yamaha outdrive parts.

brick

Went out to the boat yesterday to do some interior cleaning. I have all of the carpet, seats, etc. out now being redone. I started opening all of the access covers to see what is mounted in what location. I have a couple of items I'm uncertain of. On the port side under a seat cushion area is a box looking item. It has no wires or tubes attached to it. It basically looks like it was placed there as some sort of balance item but I cant really see that as its purpose. Next, the stairs were removed as well to have the carpet replaced. I see a container with water in it and on the plastic cover it says its for the shower. It looks like a pump system but I have no idea of how this might work. Next to it is a valve that appears to have something to do with the toilet and the handle has broker off. This doesn't look like an item that will be easy to replace because of its size and an ability to get the tools in to hold items while unscrewing others. Then it was off to the aft cabin. I raised the floor to see what might be under these areas. The forward center had what I think is the fresh water pump, then there is a plastic "Y" valve with hoses that are perhaps 2". I'm thinking this has to do with the toilet system but again I have no data or information on it. Aft of this are two tanks that appear to be the same size. One is plastic ( perhaps water ) while the other is medal ( perhaps waste water ). It looks like I might have a leak on a lower hose on the medal tank and this too looks like it would be a challenge to get to. I saw the hot water tank on the starboard side but it was to dark to really look it over very well. The boat remains at a maintenance facility since I purchased it on June 22nd. As a part of the purchase the rigging of the controls was to be fixed as we weren't able to get the drives in reverse unless the engine was shut off first. Once in reverse both seemed to work Ok but then to put them back in forward was a problem as well unless the engines were turned off again. It seems we are now having a problem finding a mechanic who can work on a Yamaha system. If anyone has any thoughts on any of these items please drop me a note.

E-mail Capt. Ken Nelson he has a lot of info on the Yamaha drives and parts.

2416 Thomas Drive

Panama City Beach

(Northwest Florida)

Phone: (850)234-0854

Fax: (850)236-5444

TheCaptKen@aol.com

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday

8:00AM to 4:00PM

The valves handle is off for a reason. It's illegal to dump "black water" in US waters. If you put it back on you will be libel to catch a big fine.

Also your looking at your forward bilge, "grey water" collects there and is pumped overboard via bilge pump.

As far a shifting goes, those drives may need a a stall switch to stall the engine when shifting, I know the early Alpha's did. But be advised I am not at all familiar with the Yamaha drives.

The handle being removed, what a thought. I need to go back out now and look at it more closely. The fact that it was off had led me to assume it had broken off. The interior has been redone and has been reinstalled. The boat is off to have the drives looked at next. I think the next item on our list will be to have the outside of the boat detailed. Anyone have any ideas of what cost range I should be thinking about?

Who you get to do the detailing is more important than the cost. Ask other boat owners for recommendations on local detailers. A good job will make your boat look new.

I was advised that the maintenance should be done this week. I will walk the docks and visit with others as to who they would recommend. I was reading the install manual for my AC system and the block diagram as well. It shows a sea water valve going to a strainer and then to the sea water pump. I understand all of that but what I see in the boat is a bit different. I have the valve ( and a label referencing it to the AC ) and then to an electrical item and then to the pump ( pictures above ). Why would the strainer have electrical wiring to it?

Perhaps someone can tell me why I have a power panel with a port and starboard switch? I only have batteries on the port side and a generator on the starboard side.

post-41927-0-51831400-1406858571_thumb.j

How many batteries? House, starter, generator?

If the system will charge youl'll need to test, map and label without a wiring diagram. Even with it I'd test and label.