Hatem

Too big a boat for a newbie?

3rd outing on the Chaparral was absolutely fantastic! Went out from Salem (yep, where all the witches were hung) and what an awesome boating area that is. You got historic Salem and Marblhead and all the islands between to view and most of the water is between 45ft - 75ft deep. Launch was a breeze. Recovery.......lol. That was another story.

You guys said you like pics so here are some pics.

Doesn't get any better than this! :D

IMG_1867_zpsb05d77c3.jpg

The Co-Captain.

IMG_1838_zpsf2ffd42d.jpg

Love this boat! Long live Chaparral and it's excellent design, very comfortable and spacious.

IMG_1856_zps2c6cc4a7.jpg

Boston.

IMG_1849_zps40b6f4a3.jpg

This guy made a low altitude fly-by.

IMG_1863_zpsb787bc74.jpg

IMG_1873_zps7e23e353.jpg

Tried to get a shot of the Chaparral lettering but this is about as far as I could extend!

IMG_1875_zps5db9d790.jpg

My boating rule of thumb is if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. You are the captain, you are responsible for the boat and it's passengers. Sounds like you made the correct call.

brick

My boating rule of thumb is if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. You are the captain, you are responsible for the boat and it's passengers. Sounds like you made the correct call.

brick

I feel the same way, Brick. Thanks. I have to admit, when I first bought this boat, the excitement of owning it and getting ready to have boating be a big part of our lives and what we do with our very valuable free time, I didn't really realize (being honest about this) that it is a HUGE responsibility and undertaking. I haven't boated any lakes yet but something tells me it's much safer than ocean boating. The number of things (apart from the lethality of salt water to the boat and motor etc.) that can go wrong on the ocean seem exponentially greater. From the much larger boats traveling the waters to the high number of sailboats you have to be aware of to the channel markers you need to learn to the sand bars you need to be able to spot from a distance to the choppiness of the waves and current etc. All that stuff I think is not going on in mostly calm lakes, at least it seems that way to me and that might change once we do boat lakes. Hoping that with more experience, that huge level of stress that accompanies all the excitement and fun decreases considerably.

I agree that lake boating is simpler than salt water boating. But you still have to be aware of your surroundings as well as other boaters. At least you don't have to worry about tides...

brick

Well done... I have bailed on a launch or two along the way, dealt with the disappointed kids and all. I've seen a few folks who pushed it and wound up having a really bad day.

That Salem trip looked great. Never been on the water there but have been there on business and had a great meal at a restaurant on the marina.

Well done... I have bailed on a launch or two along the way, dealt with the disappointed kids and all. I've seen a few folks who pushed it and wound up having a really bad day.

That Salem trip looked great. Never been on the water there but have been there on business and had a great meal at a restaurant on the marina.

Too bad it wasn't this past Saturday. I would've handed you the key and said "let's go!" :D

There is one of those dock-up-to restaurants at the marina, I'm yet to check it out and see how easy or hard it is to pull into it. That seems like a blast - to pull up to a dock, jump out and have a nice lunch and get back in the cruiser and off you go. Man!

As I'm flushing out the water tank today as per Big Fun and Phillbo's excellent advice and instructions that the engine hatch's portside hydraulic actuator is kaput! Starboard was doing all the work (and that hatch, with that forward facing seat and rear facing sun-pad is HEAVY) and the working arm was solid and stiff while the portside one I could just push up and down and you can also see the hatch tweaked a bit for obvious reasons (it wasn't working.)

Anyone have any experience with these? Is there something worth looking into the mechanism itself such as the motor at the base or an electric connection (those looked all connected) or is that pretty much a goner and should just be replaced? Not sure what to look for.

And is Cecil Marine the best place to get a replacement arm/motor?

Thx, guys.