Time for new trailer tires.

Ha no kidding about the price of tires.....I recently replaced the tires on my truck, wife's car, and my tandem axle utility trailer, including the spare! That's what I get for waiting until the last minute for it all. The shop did cut me some slack though for buying 13 tires at once!

I also currently run Goodyear Marathons with success so far but not a ton of mile on them yet. On my old boat trailer I had the new Carlisle Radial Trail RH and had well over 1,000 miles and had no issues too. I do know both brands have had their good and bad moments so you will probably get a lot of comments on them.

I have the new Carlisle Radial Trail RH also. Satisfied so far (2yrs) they seem to be holding up very well. Had Goodyears prior to them and had tread delamination on two of four at highway speeds.

I have always used Passenger Car steel belted car tires With the added 10% capacity requirement now a law in most states. New trailers are being fitted with car tires.

They are sooo much better than trailer or truck tires. Have to be !!!

None have EVER had anymore problems ( zero ) than any car tire. They last FOR EVER on a trailer.

Just be sure the tires are all 10 % stronger than the load placed on them.

Okay I made my purchase. I purchased the Carlyle St tires from Discount Tire.. I looked at all options from the major chains and I thought about Tire Rack. Tire Rack was the only place I found with TowMasters, which were the brand that was on my trailer. I know they were at least five years old, I don't know how old they were when I purchased the trailer. I also took a look at some of the small shops around town, but what it came down to was, I like to travel and if I have a flat, there's a Discount Tire in just about every city so I can get the flat repaired or a replacement tire and not cut too much into vacation time. That was my final deciding factor.

Btw, trailer tires last just as long as car tires. They just don't typically go as many miles. They rot due to exposure and lack of constant use. I know I'm carrying 5000lbs and I don't think I could trust 14" car tires to carry the load. Also most blowouts are a direct result of heat caused byi under inflated tires.

Trailer tires are trailer tires. Car tires are car tires. Designed different in side wall flex and durability. I think you will be happy with your selection.

When I had a blow out on mine I stopped at Discount Tire in Northern Michigan. They only had the new Carlisle in stock and had not done any research on them. The owner gave me a satisfaction guaranty that I couldn't pass up. If I did not like them he would replace with GYears at no additional cost to me. And I could go to any discount tire to have this done. He wrote his personal phone number on my bill. Sold...and I still have them on trailer today and would repurchase them again.

As a side note. I still have the Michelin steel belted car tires on the smallest trailer. They are over 20 years old ? No weather checking, rot, splits, bubbles or wear. Mileage is up there with 600 mile trip each year. +12,000 miles.

Anything over 10 years is pushing your luck on tires. Check the 4 number manufactor date on your tires. If the tires were manufactured after 2000, the first two numbers identify the week (from 01 to 52) and the last two numbers identify the year. Tire age is similar to exhaust manifold age, they work great till they fail and cost you a bundle.

Crap!! I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm going to again. So after I got the new tires I took the boat to storage. Upon leaving storage, I got caught at a stop light and was promptly rear ended. Truck is a mess but had the hitch checked out and was given a green light to tow with it because all damage was above the hitch and frame.

So today, I go to get boat to head to the lake, and wouldn't you know it, my front left tire is FLAT!!! No shops open today, so I'm throwing caution to the wind and driving 45 miles to the lake with no spare. Wish me luck, I sure hope I'm not "that" guy who's boat is on the side of the road with trailer in the air missing a tire and tow vehicle!

Wow hope you made it safely. I think you made the right call on the tires. Car tires are for cars, trailer tires are for trailers.

Trailer tires have strengthened sidewalls to handle the weight of a boat, especially when rounding corners and this is even more important if you have tandom axles.

Are you trying to convince us that 1,000 pounds of weight on a trailer tire is heavier in a straight line at 50 mph.

Than 1,000 pounds on a front tire of a car doing a sharp evasive turn at 50 mph ?

Never happen.

Trailer tires are the most profitable tires made because THEY DO NOT HAVE TO MEET ANY SAFETY STANDARDS.

Crap!! I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm going to again. So after I got the new tires I took the boat to storage. Upon leaving storage, I got caught at a stop light and was promptly rear ended. Truck is a mess but had the hitch checked out and was given a green light to tow with it because all damage was above the hitch and frame.

So today, I go to get boat to head to the lake, and wouldn't you know it, my front left tire is FLAT!!! No shops open today, so I'm throwing caution to the wind and driving 45 miles to the lake with no spare. Wish me luck, I sure hope I'm not "that" guy who's boat is on the side of the road with trailer in the air missing a tire and tow vehicle!

I got a flat a week after I put on new tires last year! It was a screw in the tire. I also threw caution to the wind and drove to the lake anyways.

Are you trying to convince us that 1,000 pounds of weight on a trailer tire is heavier in a straight line at 50 mph.

Than 1,000 pounds on a front tire of a car doing a sharp evasive turn at 50 mph ?

Never happen.

Trailer tires are the most profitable tires made because THEY DO NOT HAVE TO MEET ANY SAFETY STANDARDS.

IMO, When you get in a serious accident and the lawyers and insurance company find out you have passenger car tires on instead of trailer tires......good luck!!! because one is gonna deny your claim and the other will make you pay for YOUR choice.

Steel belted passenger tires are being installed by boat trailer companies. Why ? Cheaper & fully legal.

All products come down to making them cheaper..........If the tires are of a higher quality & LEGAL . It is a bonus to the buyer.

The reason they are being installed by manufacturers is because it is LEGAL.

I made it safely back With no more flat tires and on Saturday got the tire repaired. Problem was discount tire could not find the reason for my flat so they replaced the valve stem and remounted the tire using sealer. So far it is held up.

Never happen.

Disagree, there are some good articles on the net about this subject. In the end we agree to diagree. My NEW trailer came with TRAILER tires.