wake my day

280 Sig Question

Hey guys, we are looking to upgrade our 246 to a small cruiser. We are hesitant to purchase a boat with two engines because of the cruise cost. Does chap make 280 with a single engine? Possibly a single 8.1?

Thanks

Wake, Single engine working hard to keep boat moving OR a dual set up working at easier pace will get you pretty close to the same Fuel burn. Costs come in maintenance IMO. With a boat that size they are easier to control it tight areas with twin engines. That much fiberglass and canvas make it like a big sail in side winds. If possible go for a ride on both set ups. You might be surprised how well a dual drive boat rides and performs. My personal opinion is that anything over 25 ft should be twin. The manufactures put singles in which keeps costs down to sell more boats.

I have a 2006 290 with twin 5.7 mercs. I can tell you that for that size boat you are going to want twins. Sea Ray makes lots of 280's with single engines and they always feel underpowered to me. I tested a relatively new 280 and it struggled to get out of the hole in even light chop. I would recommend finding a few similar size boats to test and see how they feel for you. When you get to that size boat you have larger holding tank for water, waste, refrigerators, full size head, and other things that add lots of weight.

I think Chap offers the option for twin v6's which are incredibly fuel efficient and probably have the same gph as a large 8.1 merc which is probably what you will find in a single engine small cruiser.

I'm going to be all over the map here....We have thought of moving up from our 240 Sig to a 290 or maybe even a 330 at some point. When you see a Sig 280 with twins, is that really a 290? I know the big difference with the twins is getting the wider beam which I really like! I do find the 8.6 beam in the single 280 to be quite narrow. I love the safety factor with twin engines vs the single. I thought that the twins would burn double the fuel which is obviously the down side, No? I would like to hear what fuel burn is like from owners of twin engines, do they really burn double?

Let me say that I went from a four wins curser (one 350 @ 300hp) to a Sig 290 (two 4.3L @ 225hp each). The 350 at 3200rpms and 26MPH, it eats 12gph. The Sig 290 is 2500lbs heaver but I get at 3200RPM at 28MPH, it eats 18GPH. AND it gets right up and goes were the other would take longer.

Yes maintains cost is more, but it is a bigger boat. So I expected that. But we now go on longer trips, both in time and distance and having two engines makes it safer if one engine breaks down.

I never trailed the boat except for the winter, but I now have it hauled which is a added cost. BUT, now no trailer cost, Ins, maintaining it. Just not having the trailer saves me about $300.00 a year. In Mass just to Reg the trailer was $180 per yr. and $60.00 in Ins.

I have 29' with a single 8.1L and the top speed on a good day is 50mp on GPS but ... it's a narrow hull with 8.5' beam and only 8000 lbs pocket cruiser. Anything with 12-13' beam you hope to put on plane and have decent performance needs two engines ... and the fuel economy will be better than the same hull with some magical high power single engine.

This is a TRUE OLD WIFES tale !!

2 or 3 engines ............DOES NOT ...............create poor cruising economy. NOT enough horse power, or too much horsepower does. Along with some other items.

2 ....4 cylinder engines SCREAMING AT W O T all the time WILL cost a lot more per mile, when they need to be rebuilt every year..................Total cost over 3 to 5 years is the true cost of a cruiser.