BobW

2 beeps every minute on a mercruiser 5L MPI BRAVO III

Last fall I got this warning of 2 beeps every 2 minutes but it was short lived and went away after about 30 minutes. No problem for the month before putting the boat up for the season.

Thia season at launch I had to replace thermostat and raw water pump. Afterwards the 2 beeps but every minute.

I disconnected the sensor in the geer oil reservoir with no change.

I disconnected the 1 1/4 inch hose from raw water pump to themostat and got what appears to be good flow.

My next try is the IAC I guess.

The beeps don't start until the engine has been running for about 15 or more minutes.

Ideas/experiences would be appreciated.

I am in salt water on Cape Cod.

You have what is considered a 'soft' alarm, meaning you have a problem, but so long as there are only 2 beeps, it is not critical.

Need to know what year of boat, and engine model. I'm going to venture a guess of 2002 and newer, but that doesn't narrow the field quite enough. Engine serial # is hugely beneficial. Seeing you have a salt water boat, you may have to find the serial # on a plate riveted to the block above the starter motor.

I would advise running the boat at higher speeds, say 4000 RPM to wide open, to see if you can have the code go from 2 beeps to one solid beep (hard alarm). Please let us know what your max RPM you can hit with the engine currently. Lastly, does the engine seem to be hard to start, or want to stumble at all when running from idle to 1200 RPM or so?

Shep,

Serial# 0m359627. 2005 sig 240

Getting ready for Arthur I started it up and after 5 minutes got a steady alarm.

Oil and temp looked good.

Was running at 2000rpm to ensure batteries charged on a mooring.

Was running at 2000rpm to ensure batteries charged on a mooring.

No stumbling noted

Off the top of my head, if the audio alarm DID NOT go to a hard alarm, I'd say a faulty Idle Air Control Valve, aka IAC. Symptoms often include: engine hard or slow to start at all, sometimes stumbles a little when running below 1200 RPM.

MerCruiser parts 862998 for the IAC, 27-863112 for the IAC gasket, and 863829 for the IAC foam muffler, located in the throttle body.

HOWEVER, a steady alarm indicates something else I fear. Either low voltage, or a sensor that has gone bad, etc. My first guess seeing everything on the gauges looks okay would be a faulty water pressure sensor. The white bodied sensor on the power steering cooler by the distributor were known to get water in them, thus causing a short. This in turn causes the ECM to see low water pressure, setting off the alarm at higher RPMs. Typically a 1" long socket is required to remove the sensor.

MerCruiser part # 8M6000623 is the new black bodied replacement.

Mercruiser-engine-oil-pressure-sensor-fo

Lastly, check the condition of the orange wire on the back of the alternator. Sometimes I have seen the ring terminal broken that holds the orange wire to the back of the alternator, and in need of replacement. On your particular engine, there was a recall concerning the orange wire having the potential to have the orange insulation be rubbed off from contact with the dipstick tube, thereby causing a short to occur.

MerCruiser Service Bulletin 2006-002 (sorry, but I wasn't able to post a link), but your engine shows that the inspection or repair for the bulletin was never completed, at least according to MercNet.

Fuel injected engines need proper and stable voltage to communicate properly.

Thank you so very much. I'll go out onto mooring and check the alternator wire. I did look at it last year when I heard of the recall. Is there any issue replacing the water pressure sensor while in the water? Changing the raw water pump while in the water was challenging....thank God for 1 1/4 inch dowels!

Shep,

I electrical taped the the orange wire on the back of the alternator and when started I got the two beeps per minute 8-10 minutes after start and well after I saw the T'stat open at 160 plus stabilize. So the 'hard' alarm is gone. I wish I had run it up before I taped it to see if the hard alarm went away on its own...

I do notice that my batteries are a little low. The alternators says they're getting 13 volts. But with Arthur last night the bilge pump probably ran full time. I am nervous because when I took the raw water hose off the T'stat to check the flow some got onto the alternator.

Next I guess is the water pressure sensor. I have called around but, I'll need to go online for fast availability and expense.

The engine is running smoothly so I'll try the IAC last.

Thanks you so much for your help.

Enjoy the holiday.

Only a few drops may leak if you change out the water pressure sensor. No water should be able to leak out really, unless you were running the engine at the same time, which would of course be a crazy thing to do.

What grade of engine oil are you running? 10w30, 25w40, etc.

I'll check the oil ..I believe it was 25w40 synthetic...spare quart is on boat

Thanks for info. Now to find a pressure sensor handy on a Sunday 4th weekend!

The oil was Quicksilver 25/40.

I replaced the water pressure sensor and the 2 beeps per minute started again after 17 min run time as it did before.

I was at 1000 rpm for the 17 min. But after the beeps I ran it up a little. I got what I would call a slight "growling" from the engine. I shut down immediately

Oil pressure was good and dipstick barely warm to the bare hand. Power steering fluid was good. (I had checked them both before start) Risers were comfortable the hand.

I shut down and started while on #2 battery and the beeps came back in about 4 minutes. Stayed below 1000rpm.

Any ideas.

Buddy's boat had similar issue. 2004 Merc 5.7 with b3.

Ended up being the neutral switch on the engine was bad (one on engine, not throttle shift lever). It was telling the ecu that the boat was in neutral, when it was actually in gear. So when the rpm went up too high, hard alarm. At low rpm, 2 beep warning. Disconnected the switch and all beeps went away. Ordered new switch and problem fixed.

Good luck.

I have appt for next monday at local marina to have them hook up their analyzer.

Oh the suspense of finding out the truth!!! I will let you all know.

I am guessing the IAC.

I have appt for next monday at local marina to have them hook up their analyzer.

Oh the suspense of finding out the truth!!! I will let you all know.

I am guessing the IAC.

The Computer connection told us that the issue was with the oil pressure sensor that reports to the computer not the sender to the oil gauge.

They checked everything else and they all locked excellent! Inexpensive fix!! :drool5:

Thank you for everyone's help on this. :)

Good that it was an easy fix. I wonder what the "growling" sound was that you heard? Anyone hungry?

brick

On 7/14/2014 at 11:51 AM, BobW said:

The Computer connection told us that the issue was with the oil pressure sensor that reports to the computer not the sender to the oil gauge.

They checked everything else and they all locked excellent! Inexpensive fix!! :drool5:

Thank you for everyone's help on this. :)

Hello! I know it's been a while since this issue, but I think I'm having the same problem. It sounds like the oil pressure sensor that reports to the computer was the problem, do you know where that sensor is? or what it looks like? 

Thank you !