hboggio

coolant temp too high

I have a 2010 Chaparral Sunesta 284. While just under way for about 10 minutes the Coolant Too High warning sound came on. Coolant temp got up to 215 degrees. I tried putting the boat in reverse to see if I had something lodged as that had happened in the past. That didn't help. After letting the coolant temp get to a level where I could restart the boat I was able to get the boat back to my dock. As I was backing into my slip the temp started to drop quickly, down to 160 degrees. I took the boat back out for a few minutes to see if the temp would continue to drop. It stayed steady at 159 degrees, which I believe is still too warm. I'm wondering if the quick drop in temp is an indication that perhaps by having the boat in reverse I dislodged something that was causing a blockage. Not sure what the running temp should be or if the issue is fixed.

160 is the area you want it to be, from your discription I'm going to assume the intake was resticked. You did the right thing by putting it in reverse right away.

Next question; when was the last time the impeller was changed?

I had to change my thermostat last year and it sits between 154-162. That not "too warm" at all. Just right.

160 is where mine is all day regardless of idle or full throttle. What was the previous normal reading? Thermostat could have stuck closed and then decided to open.

I've had high temps when the impeller started to go bad and I was at low RPM.

Secondly I've had high temps when a piece of kelp got around the cooling intake on the lower.

The reverse probably knocked of the debris that was restricting your water cooling intake port.