qflyer

Considering used 265 SSI

I'm a Sea Ray guy...currently in a 220 Select. Mostly used for cruising around and some light water sports. I consistently put about 100 hours a year on it, all on the TN river and other inland lakes in the south east. I'm ready to step up to something with a cuddy, and I keep coming around to the 265 SSI with the 8.1 motor. A few questions, and then a copy of the post I made on the Sea Ray forums for y'all's input.

1) I've only found one review of the 265 SSI, and it claims a top speed of 55 mph which sounds about right, but they also advertise 3.0 mpg at 45 mph, and 3.9 mpg at 35 mph. Those numbers seem a bit optimistic to me...any real world numbers from current owners?

2) Is a generator / air conditioner an option for this boat. I've seen it listed some places, but have yet to see one listed for sale with either option installed.

3) Is it possible to upgrade a portapotty setup to a vacuflush head with holding tank? Doubt it, but hopeful!

<from the sea ray forum>

I've got the 2-foot-itis pretty bad, so I've starting looking around to see what's out there. Currently have a 220 Select, and thought I had decided on a 250SLX. Now I'm questioning if I really want another bowrider, or if it's time to get something with a cuddy. Most of my boating is on the TN River, or other lakes in AL/TN. I do plan to start taking a yearly trip to the Keys or Bahamas, hence the reason for considering something with a sleeping area vs open bow, and must be trailerable. Main things I want:

Budget: 60K, and I've got to have thru hulls, wake tower/arc, sound system. So if that stuff isn't stock, I've got keep those additions in budget.
Year: Early 2000s - Max budget
Trailerable 8'6" beam
Comfortable sleeping space for 2. Kids are in the plans, but not a concern for this boat.
Head
Generator/AC, if not stock, something I can add
FUN, I'm just turning 30, so I don't think I want a full blown cruiser with mid cabin for a few more years. To keep it trailerable, I just don't like the short stubby look of the 240-260 DAs. Love the looks of the 280+ DAs, but not realistic for my current situation.
LOA 24-28'
Single engine, love the 496, and don't think I'd be happy with smaller when we're talking about a 5500+ pound boat.

I would prefer to stay with Sea Ray, but I keep going back to the Chaparral 265 SSI. Has everything I want, and can run 55 mph. Only test report I can find also claims 3 MPG at 45MPH cruising speed, or a max 3.9 MPG around 30 mph. That's amazing, if accurate. I can't quite match those numbers in my 220 with a 5.0.

I've seen the Weekenders, but don't know much about them. I've also seen a Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport, but the beam is too wide. Did SR ever make a 25'-28' Sun Sport with 8'6" beam? That seems to be the best comparison to the 265 SSI if it exists.

Any other suggestions? Cobalt, Regal, etc would all be options, or convince me that the 265 SSI is a good/bad choice.

</sea ray forum post>

Go with a 260-290 cruiser. The 265 ssi is very small cabin. No generator. Only shore ac is an option. The head is storage unless your about 4 ft tall. Then it's still a tight fit. Great boat. But for a family the cabin will not work.

Appreciate the reply. I see a cruiser as still being several years down the road. Until kids are in the picture, I'm more interested in the sport boat with a minimalist sleeping area/shelter from weather than a full blown cruiser. No generator on the 265 SSI is a huge negative, but I guess a portable genny would be an option on the occasional long trip (I know that opens a whole other can of worms for a different thread.)

I'm 5'7" 150 lbs, and the g/f is 5'1" 110 lbs, so small spaces are okay. The cuddy will only be used for getting a little sleep before the next full day of playing around. We do several 200+ mile runs on the TN river every year, and I like having the ability to cruise at 35-45 mph without running WOT to get that speed. If I went with a cruiser, what kind of numbers could I expect WRT speed/fuel efficiency? Keep in mind, we spend a few nights at a time on a 23' bow rider camped out in the floor, so even a tiny sport cruiser cuddy will be an incredible upgrade for us.

I like the 265 but was too much boat for the missus and me. Nice lines, get the overnighting option while staying in the sport boat category, can still get on plane and go,fast. Plenty to like there.

We love our 246 SSi. We're Tenn River boaters as well. Very happy with Chap ride on typical to rough TN River conditions, and build quality is very good. Superior to SeaRay, IMHO.

I am a little suspicious of the mpg, as well. I know about underpowered boats getting worse mpg than overpowered...that said, I doubt I'm getting anywhere near 3 mpg at 45 mph with my 5.7/350MAG, and I'm fairly certain I'm not underpowered.

If you keep coming back to it, sounds like you've found your boat. If the current owner has kept her in good shape, I think you'll be happy.

I like the 265 but was too much boat for the missus and me. Nice lines, get the overnighting option while staying in the sport boat category, can still get on plane and go,fast. Plenty to like there.

We love our 246 SSi. We're Tenn River boaters as well. Very happy with Chap ride on typical to rough TN River conditions, and build quality is very good. Superior to SeaRay, IMHO.

I am a little suspicious of the mpg, as well. I know about underpowered boats getting worse mpg than overpowered...that said, I doubt I'm getting anywhere near 3 mpg at 45 mph with my 5.7/350MAG, and I'm fairly certain I'm not underpowered.

If you keep coming back to it, sounds like you've found your boat. If the current owner has kept her in good shape, I think you'll be happy.

Yep, I'm on the same stretch of river as you. Was at Lucy's Branch until the tornado wiped it out. Now it's on the trailer in my back yard. I'm considering putting it on Smith Lake for the remainder of this season, and then going back to Lucy's Branch when the new dry storage facility is built.

Definitely finishing this year with the Sea Ray. Would love to upgrade by next spring and start off the year with a week or two in the FL Keys on a new (to me) boat!

You can also look for the newer 255 SSi. They are pretty rare but nice looking boats. The 256 which is the same hull will run mid 50s with the 496 Mag and low 60s w/496 HO.

I am a huge fan of the 265. If you ride on one you will buy it. I have no doubts. The ride is incredible, and the handling is rediculously good for a boat of that size. The trouble I have is finding a used one in good shape that is not 100s of miles away and used in salt water.

I have a 256 open bow same hull with the 8.1 volvo very good boat ride wise and power wise, have had both mercs and now a volvo, neither have been trouble free, both have a plus and minus. Good power out of the whole for tubing and skiing, but its a big wake. I found mine about 400 miles away. as for top speed 50 on a good day its a heavy boat.

So from what I'm gathering here, the fuel efficiency listed in the review article is definitely on the optimistic side. Boattest gives some numbers for the 8.1, now I just need some real-world speeds for a 265 or 255 hull to get a pretty accurate efficiency number.

3000 RPM: 10.8 GPH

3500 RPM: 14.7 GPH

4000 RPM: 19.1 GPH

4500 RPM: 28.1 GPH

4800 RPM: 34.3 GPH

I'm guessing 3.0 MPG is about best case, and I'd see that around 30 mph near 3000 RPM

2.3 MPG at 40-45 MPH

1.6 MPG at WOT

Am I way off, or do those numbers match up with what you guys are seeing?

1 or 10 people and a ton of food & toys ?

What is with the reply page on this site ? Double posts. Randomly selected styles almost everytime. Our other sites do not have these problems.

I don't know if you will find a sport boat with a generator and a air conditioner equipped in a boat of the size you are looking for. At least from the factory. I'm in a 2835 (285 later years) and I don't think a generator is a option on it. You'll have to add one on your self.

If that is a deal breaker, you might have to go up to the cruiser's.

I won't say I'm "concerned" about fuel efficiency, but I don't think I'd be doing my research properly if I wasn't at least somewhat aware of what I was getting in to. If the real cruise is 2.3 MPG, but I was expecting 3.0 like the article says, that's a difference of roughly $1,700/year for the amount I use the boat. Considering I boat about 6 months out of the year, that's just shy of an extra $300/month. It amuses me when folks say, "Don't buy a boat if you worry about fuel," but then complain when an unexpected $1,000 maintenance bill shows up. You don't like to be surprised with maintenance, and I don't want to be surprised by an extra $1,700/year in fuel.

I agree that if it's painful to fill up the tank then you should have considered a smaller boat, but how do you know if you can afford it if you don't ask? :-)

I don't know if you will find a sport boat with a generator and a air conditioner equipped in a boat of the size you are looking for. At least from the factory. I'm in a 2835 (285 later years) and I don't think a generator is a option on it. You'll have to add one on your self.

If that is a deal breaker, you might have to go up to the cruiser's.

No, it's not a deal breaker. I can always do a portable genny/ac for long trips, but it would be nice to have a factory option. Here's a 255 SSI with generator and AC. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-Chaparral-255-SSi-101963606

If it's not factory installed, at least I know that it has been done aftermarket before.

:Twocents:

The Signature 270 I have is the 8.1 Volvo DP, runs close to 30MPH at 3000 rpm, which is also just above planing speed. It's apparently not great on fuel, but we've only had a half tank through it so far, so I can't report accurately on it.

WOT it will approach 50MPH on GPS. I'd be scared to see the efficiency numbers there, so WOT is only reserved for getting out of the way of a barge...

Equipped with air and genny, you could get in to one - if you shop right - for precisely your budget, maybe even a newer model than you think... If you have a good tow vehicle, it fits all of your requirements, except it's a full cruiser. I had my second thoughts about buying it, but we've spent a handful of nights on it and I am more than tickled with the ride quality, the comfort, and the overall feel of this boat. I consider it a good compromise between sport and cruiser. Looking down the road at a 330, we won't be going anywhere fast, and we'll trade plenty of manuverability for comfort. Talking with the "old salts" in the marina, the 30+ range is where the sport feel seems to disappear.

:thththsoapbox2-1:

My apologies. They do come with a genny and air from the factory. I wish I had a built in genny. I took a portable honda 2000 out once for a weekend of sleeping on the boat. And I hated hearing it in the evening where I'm suppose to enjoy the quietness of nature. I never took the genny again.

Fuel.....it adds up. Just have to budget for it and hold back on the throttle.

I donno if it will be in your price range but Chap has sold a slightly bigger cuddy since @ 2006; the 275, and more recently the 285ssx which is the same boat. It's performance s/b similar to it's twin sister, the 276 (aka 287) bowrider and those numbers s/b easier to find on the net.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I have the boat you are considering... its a great boat... the cuddy is too small for me & the wife now. I hat that you stand up fully in it.

It runs great at about 3200 RPM's (sweet spot), good handling.

You'll hardly find one with AC out there, not many dealers wanted one to compete with the Sig lines.

I'm 32, single. Have a 215 SSI with A/C (added).

Would I ever consider owning a 265? No way. Horrible boat for it's size. Sleeping space isn't really any bigger than my 215. No sunpad. Total waste of space. Bathroom only fits children. I'm 6'2 and have room to stretch out in my cabin. I can sit up in the v-berth without ever hitting my head.

I'm actually putting mine up forsale to buy a Monterey 214FSC just signed the broker paperwork. Smaller cabin, but the outside seating is so much better with the sunpad. To buy a cuddy past the 22-23ft mark is a waste of money. Just buy a cruiser. You'll be pissed that you didn't.

If I were to buy a dream boat, this would be it. Yes, it's cuddy/bowrider hybrid.

http://www.fourwinns.com/overview/H290

Would I ever consider owning a 265? No way. Horrible boat for it's size. Sleeping space isn't really any bigger than my 215. No sunpad. Total waste of space. Bathroom only fits children. I'm 6'2 and have room to stretch out in my cabin. I can sit up in the v-berth without ever hitting my head.

I'm actually putting mine up forsale to buy a Monterey 214FSC just signed the broker paperwork. Smaller cabin, but the outside seating is so much better with the sunpad. To buy a cuddy past the 22-23ft mark is a waste of money. Just buy a cruiser. You'll be pissed that you didn't.

If I were to buy a dream boat, this would be it. Yes, it's cuddy/bowrider hybrid.

Climbing back down the ladder?? At least your were able to see the top. I hope you enjoy your Monterey. :boating:

Chaparral are one of the best made boats out there.... But the designs are 10 years behind. Sometimes you have to downgrade to upgrade. Seat layout means more to me than hull construction.

Have you ever ridden in a 265. If so we are going to have to agree to disagree. I had no issues with the bathroom and I am 6'2" 270. You are not going to be able to comfortably do the mornin business, but for number 1 it is just fine.

The seating works great when you have a large crew. Sun pads are nice for laying around I suppose , but you need seats to cruise.

Men don't need a head to do #1 on a boat. That's what the swim platform is for. Seriously?

Well when your floating a couple yards off Navy pier or you anchored out in downtown peoria watching concerts with 40 other boats, it is bad form to wiz off your swim platform. I guess you could go for a swim, but you may become prop wash, so yea seriously, not everyone goes boating in bfe.