Bed liner type coating

There is a product called Zyrex which I guess you could call bed liner like. I had lots of bottom damage when I bought my boat so needing a new bottom paint, I had Zyrex done. It is supposed to last 10 years, give you more speed, better mpg, and only require a power wash when you pull boat out at end of year. I am obviously in my first year, so most of these claims I cannot verify. It is not cheap stuff, so the durability item is them one I'm most interested in.

I think he wants to remove it correct? If that is the case, from what I read it's either a torch to heat it up and a chisel to scrape tit off. Or bead blast it. Either are not good for fiberglass.

Might be better to have a new layer of fiberglass on top of it.

Got any pics?

Lol, yes I want it off. I missed an "f". Funny how I never missed them on my report card. Anyway, the boat was in salt water all of its life so I understand why it's there. The color has faded a lot and the gel coat has oxidized. The gel coat is going to buff out nice but I can't do anything to this coating so I was going to try to remove it.

• 4 years later...
On 7/12/2014 at 12:47 PM, brick said:

If it is bottom paint, then you may be better off to apply a new coat. Once a boat has bottom paint, you can't (easily) go back...

brick

A whole lot easier to paint over it if it will stick.

On 7/12/2014 at 1:47 PM, brick said:

If it is bottom paint, then you may be better off to apply a new coat. Once a boat has bottom paint, you can't (easily) go back...

brick

+1 When I first got my boat it had black Pettit on it. the people that did it, did a poor job of prepping it, so I decided to remove it.I used a DA with 80 grit sand paper, so I would not ruin the gel-coat (that is a body shop tool for feather and sanding paint). It was one long and dirty job. If the product that is on there now is not peeling and is adhering. I would do like brick says, repaint it with the same product, or another bottom paint.  Denny. 

• 1 year later...

Well, after 1 season of Zyrex I am impressed. The boat seemed to plane quicker and "probably" somewhat better fuel consumption. (We don't spend too much time up on plane)

When the boat came out a little washing with soap and water made the bottom look just like it did when the bottom was new last spring.

On 7/12/2014 at 1:47 PM, brick said:

brick

+1, way more trouble than its worth. Coat it with Petit Vivid white.