onesaintsfan

Fuel Tank Cleaning

So ...... once I get the old fuel and water out of my fuel tank, and I have removed and cleaned the pickup tube, and removed the fuel level sender, how do you guys suggest I clean the fuel tank?

I presume you fear you have some sort of sludge buildup? What did the stuff you pumped out look like? I was thinking you only had a water problem, but maybe I lost track...

If you do, I've heard of pure gasoline, acetone, and weak acids for cleaning out car fuel tanks. I have also heard that sometimes multiple treatments are necessary. I do know that one element of cleaning out any fuel tank is the ability to inspect it before refilling. I am not sure if all the suggested cleaners apply for both aluminum and plastic tanks.

What are you trying to get out? Based on that would determine what to use. Be VERY careful at this point. You have a container full of fumes. It is at its most unstable point and can blow up with any spark.

Ditto on " the most dangerous time". It would be best to consult with someone in this field rather than a boat forum. Do a search. There are products made for coating the inside of car and motorcycle gas tanks. They also give the procedures for preparing to do any work on a tank. Gasoline will burn,Gas vapors will explode !

You will need a miniature inspection camera with a light on it.

Any tank of explosive fumes can be made safe with the exhaust air on a vacuum cleaner & the hose moved to that discharge fitting.

Start the vacuum cleaner with the OUTSIDE WIND blowing fumes away from the tank openings. With the blast of air from the hose blowing. Connect it to a opening I hold it for about 2 minutes. Stop the vacuum & Duct Tape it in place. That works fine for any tank with 2 openings.

A single opening tank requires the use of a smaller plastic pipe. I use electrical PVC pipe & duct tape to get it blowing inside of the tank.

Some risk always to venting any tanks...........I leave the vacuum running for a hour. Or until there are zero fumes. It is Russian Roulette with any fuel tank.

Accidents DO HAPPEN. Be very carefull if up play with a gas tank.

I did it the chicken way........... I started the vacuum cleaner by PLUGGING the LONG extension cord into a wall outlet inside of the building. The vacuum was already turned on with no power to it.

I would try this with a 1/4 tank of fresh fuel. And a new 10 micron filter on your water separator. This stuff is suppose to clean the tank while you operate the boat. It will probably clog up the filter so have a second on hand to replace the first. It's available at West Marine.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/star-brite--enzyme-formula-fuel-tank-cleaner-64-oz--5617840

I agree with the cautions expressed here. You seem to be moving way past a simple "water in the fuel tank" issue.

If you need more than a drain and refuel procedure, pay the money and take it to a pro.

Failure...... new fuel filter, plugs, cap,, rotor, fuel tamk pumped out, fresh fuel and heet added..... same problem remains

What is the problem you are trying to fix.

Ethanol fuels clean sludge. E10 is the best thing you can use in there to safely clean the crap put.

I had a 5.0 Merc with similar problem as yours. I don't believe in replacing parts without a good diagnostic first but I read your post and I did the same things as you have done. I had my carb rebuilt and it fixed the long cranking problem finally. It was about 150 clams for a marine rebuild. Check out http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/marine/twobarrelmerc.aspx

Sludge loaded gasoline is a nightmare to D I Y trouble shooters.. I have seen O B guys & techs replace every part on the out side of the engine trying to cure a sludged up fuel system. It IS VERY sneaky in many cases. Different gas stations . GOOD gas station gets new owner & gets crappy fuel to save costs.

Leaking tanks with E fuel & a high water table. .......................They REALLY ARE OUT TO GET US. :)

I would not use the vacuum cleaner method. The vacuum cleaner creates static electricity and can cause a spark. Any fine metal particles left in the Vacuum or hose and hurled could cause a spark. The electric Vacuum motor is also not spark protected

Last year two young men working in a boat, on a fuel tank,on a lift were severly burned. A vacuum was found in the boat.

A warning was issued several years ago by OSS race sanctioning body at our race site about grounding fuel fills because of a static electricity caused expolsion.

My reasons.

I had a 5.0 Merc with similar problem as yours. I don't believe in replacing parts without a good diagnostic first but I read your post and I did the same things as you have done. I had my carb rebuilt and it fixed the long cranking problem finally. It was about 150 clams for a marine rebuild. Check out http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/marine/twobarrelmerc.aspx

Bought a rebuild kit and electric choke conversion from national. Plan to install in a few weeks. They also do rebuilding and sell rebuilt carbs for a very reasonable price.

FINALLY! Thank You Jesus.

Got the carb back from Mississippi Marine in Brookhaven. They went through it and cleaned it. They said the only thing they say wrong was a couple of larger pieces of trash floating around in it. of course when they cleaned the passages in the carb they stated something could have blown out they did not see but all in all the carb looked good.

So, took it back home, installed in and fired her up. She purrs like a kitten now. Only had to play with the idle adjustment a little but now she is fine.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and help!

SHE IS FIXED !

Like some of the others I'm not certain what you are trying to do. If you are looking to reseal the tank you could try what I have used in my muscle cars. Go to: http://www.por15.com

Then go to fuel system restoration. I have used many of the POR products and they all work well.