Sign in to follow this  
TexasPilot71

First night on the hook - lessons learned (long)

The last batch of pics of the 250 from the side and the fireworks, can't see them. They aren't showing up for me, anyway. One of those photos was a really nice side shot of the 250 sitting in really calm waters. I wonder if any other members can see them?

Anyway, I asked about the size because I wasn't sure if having a cabin made a difference. It seems the cabin hulls are taller than the bowriders, you get like a bulky effect and with the OAL it looks fabulous. I was seriously considering a cabin because I figured it would be a blast to spend the night on the boat but got talked out of it for the reason that you sacrifice bow, seating space for something you might do only 2 or 3 times a year, spend the night sleeping on board. At least that was the premise for choosing the bowrider from the people who explained that. To me, it was a bit of that but also being able to trailer it would more likely be easier. But the more I'm doing this the more I'm thinking a cabined boat would certainly have been a blast and quite possibly a future upgrade. The other difference is that your kids are much younger than mine, so for you it's a much, much better choice no doubt about it. Like Keith said, that smile on your son's face is worth every penny and then some! :)

I was docking yesterday in 20mph winds with a pretty strong current and it was a (insert worst possible expletive) and it's funny you mentioned embarrassing - because every person on and around the ramp was staring at us (it's not difficult to see we're super newbies) which added to the stress level exponentially! Plus every other boat was smaller, either a fishing or ski boat that was coming out of water and not a 29ft Chaparral! So the beauty and size of the boat added to the viewing pleasure of more people! They wanted to see some newbie guy with his fancy boat in this wind give them a fun show LOL! Jerks. It took me 3 attempts but I've developed this exercise in my mind where I keep telling myself, for all the deer and effort I put into this set-up, these people can laugh all they want at my newbieness and it works cuz once I settled into my zone and focus, I didn't care. The 2nd time I came in I was a little off with the trailer so decided to do it again and the 3rd time I was off even more (lol) but still went in anyway because there wasn't going to be a 4th time. Once it was wenched and tied off and we pulled outta there, all was good but it was a harrowing experience. That size boat is definitely a challenge to recover more so than launch. I'm sure gravity has a lot to do with it. So I was interested in your opinion about the size of the Signature to compare. I think trailering it more frequently would be a little tougher more so because of the beam (which is 1ft more) than the OAL. The height is also much greater, I think.

^^ Ooops, sorry, you're right those pics were in that other thread you started.

Great looking boat and great thread! We are planning for our first weekend trip over Labor Day, headed to Capt Hirams with some canal neighbors. We are seriously excited about this trip. Reading your post has given me some more ideas to prepare for. Thanks!

Glad to hear! Post a report (with pics) and have fun! We're hoping to stay out again over the holiday weekend. Will be my third night on the hook!

Names: Take Off, Blue Skies, Blue Yonder, Landing Gear, Flaps Down, Wet Hangar, Grounded, Main Gear, My Other Rudder is Dry. Ok, I'll quit now, that was fun!!! Sweet boat and great post!

Names: Take Off, Blue Skies, Blue Yonder, Landing Gear, Flaps Down, Wet Hangar, Grounded, Main Gear, My Other Rudder is Dry. Ok, I'll quit now, that was fun!!! Sweet boat and great post!

Haha! Good stuff, thanks!

We love life on the hook on Texoma. We have our favorite coves to sleep in.

One thing the that was hard to get used to is trusting your anchor. Our boat has a plow type anchor and the more pull

on the anchor the deeper the plow goes. Even when the wind changes at night and our boat swings 180 degrees our anchor has always held.

On the anchor alarm always set anchor first let the boat adjust to the wind and then set alarm and allow for the amount of road you have out on the anchor.

We like our small trips on the lake leaving on thursday evening and returning on sunday to our marina with no food left over.

My wife has gotten real good at meal planning for our trips.

Its getting to be the time of the years we really enjoy being on the lake after the Labor Day weekend temps start coming down and the boating crowd goes home. Just a few fishermen to contend with.

Grilling some steaks ,chill watching some movies, open the hatch and sleep the nite away.

Love the Fall…... :banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2:

We love life on the hook on Texoma. We have our favorite coves to sleep in.

One thing the that was hard to get used to is trusting your anchor. Our boat has a plow type anchor and the more pull

on the anchor the deeper the plow goes. Even when the wind changes at night and our boat swings 180 degrees our anchor has always held.

On the anchor alarm always set anchor first let the boat adjust to the wind and then set alarm and allow for the amount of road you have out on the anchor.

We like our small trips on the lake leaving on thursday evening and returning on sunday to our marina with no food left over.

My wife has gotten real good at meal planning for our trips.

Its getting to be the time of the years we really enjoy being on the lake after the Labor Day weekend temps start coming down and the boating crowd goes home. Just a few fishermen to contend with.

Grilling some steaks ,chill watching some movies, open the hatch and sleep the nite away.

Love the Fall... :banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2:

l

Hmm, may have to come join you in the fall!

And my apologies for bumping an old thread. Was trying to redirect the photo links without "bumping" the thread, but now this forum isn't allowing editing it seems. This broken forum software (or whatever it is) is getting a little ridiculous.

And my apologies for bumping an old thread. Was trying to redirect the photo links without "bumping" the thread, but now this forum isn't allowing editing it seems. This broken forum software (or whatever it is) is getting a little ridiculous.

Maybe if Chap sells a bunch of those Vortexes this year they'll buy the Webbie a new set of BBS tools.....

Never understood what the big deal was about bumping an older thread, if the reason is valid. If the thread contains good information about a topic then why open a new one when people can just read that thread and get caught up immediately. Never made sense to me.

This is a good thread of your boating experiences anyway, TP, so keep it going with new stuff, why not?