drewm3i

New owner of a gorgeous teal and gold 2130ss

I have had good luck with 3M " Extra Cut" to buff out gelcoat.

brick

Thanks Drew. If you look closely, we share the same hull.

Yep same hull and only a slightly different top cap.

I think the boat gods HATE me and never want me on the water. Here is the latest dilemma: well the mechanic told me that the carb would be done by Friday. Well todays Friday and apparently the shop closed early today and is closed until Tuesday. I put in a bunch of calls today and never got an answer. So, I drove by the shop and it was all closed up. This is after I spent 10 hours the last two day, scrubbing every inch of the boat and painting the motor to get it ready for this weekend. Also, I think now is a decent time to tell you guys about my regal story. Long story short, my fiance and I decided we wanted a boat, so we began looking and came across what looked to be a great deal. It was a 20' Regal with a running 5.7 and alpha one with a wakeboard tower and dual axle trailer for $2 herds of deer. The seats were all torn up and the gelcoat was faded, but we figured we would fix it all since the motor was great. Anyways, we did a lot of motor work and the motor ran great on our one and only voyage about two months after the purchase. However, the transom had a leak and we later found out it was completely rotted as was the rear stringers. Oh well it wasn't too big a deal because the motor, drive, trim pump, transom assembly, wakeboard tower, and dual axle trailer were all worth way more than what we paid! So, this is when we began looking at the chap 1930ss and 2130ss to put our motor and drive in. Well we found an amazing boat problem was it was 10 hours away. Well, we looked at it while on vacation in Alabama and bought it on the spot. We picked it up two weeks later (complications here too of course lol) and began work on it. This saga has dragged on for nearly four months now and I have one 4 hour boat ride and a lot of time, effort, and cash spent (for us) to show for it lol. We have missed: memorial day, my fiances bday, our vacation to the florida keys, the fourth of july, my birthday, and now it seems labor day. Oh well I guess such is life. And especially B.O.A.T.ing! Thanks for letting me vent my frustration! I can't even begin to put a price on the hours I've logged this summer working on the boat and the funny thing is, once I FINALLY get to take her out, it will ALL be worth it!

Dang, bummer. How long does it take to rebuild a carburetor? I thought Merc was easy to get the parts for? :D Just kidding.

At least your season still has a long way to go down in SFLA. But still, that's pretty sleazy to tell you the carb will be ready by Friday and then screw on you like that. At least answer the phone! Hang in there, Drew.

If your gel coat is a little faded, I would wash it, use 3m compound/finishing material (it's a mix of both in a black bottle with a purple label), wash it afain, and then wax it. Use a buffer for the compound and wax. Just be careful not to buff to hard. I think it's funny how our "admirals" care so much about our boats lol. They care more about little bumps and bruises than we do and I don't know about you, but I care a lot about them too!

It's not really faded, it's ok for the most part. It just has these certain spots here and there. Can't see them here and you have to look closely and at the right angle and lighting to see them. Next spring I'll give her a good buffing of some sorts.

Not as gleaming as Futzi's 220ssi look at that sheen on his boat. It'll give you a headache! :)

Well at least college football is on today! But yeah, its just a marine 4 bbl quadrajet. It is not Yamaha specific at all. I have used a Volvo impeller, merc water pump, merc manifolds/riser, and generic universal parts ala spark plugs. All of the Yamaha parts are available from capt Ken and online anyways!

Don't loose faith, you'll get out eventually. On the bright side, you can boat most of the year in Florida. Around here I'll have to start thinking about winter in about a month.

Hey guys here's the update:

So yesterday I got the carb back from the guy. He only charged 100 deer and seemed to do a good job (albeit it took longer than expected). I hooked the carb up (gaskets, choke, throttle body, etc.) and tried to run it. The motor was turning over, but it was really slow and the speed would speed up then slow down, speed up slow down. I figured the battery was dead, so I hooked up a jump box and gave it a try. No go. So, I took the battery out of the boat and charged it overnight. I hook it up and today, same thing: motor turns over (faster) but still too slow to start. So, decided to hook up jumper cables from my car to the boat. I let it charge for a few minutes and then gave it a go. It was STILL turning over slowly. I called my buddy and he was at a loss but told me to check the electrical. I found a few things that were concerning. First, the main circuit breaker fuse was LOOSE!!! I fixed that and then tightened and re-seated the wiring harness and voila! The motor turned over faster! At this point, I start pumping the throttle to prime the carb with fuel. After a number of tries over a few minutes, the engine begins to start. It initially runs and then sputters out, but nonetheless I had it running for about 15 minutes!

Some random observations/questions:

1. The motor would only stay running in idle. Everytime I would increase rpms the motor would lose power and die. I am chalking it up to bad gas and plan to add some fresh gas tomorrow. I am almost certain my tank/ intake has some water/varnish in it.

2. After I ran it for 15 minutes I turned it off and couldn't get it to start again. Thoughts?

3. While I was trying to start it, the black wire on the battery was RED hot. It would literally turn orange from the heat at times. I tried to space out my cranks to not overheat anything (and it seems to have worked), but is this normal? All the connections were tight and secure. I don't know if it had to do with the jumper cables or not.

4. The motor ran cool which was good to see because before I did all the work to it, it was overheating from numerous clogs and issues. These seem to be all resolved with my new hoses, tstat, tstat housing, manifolds/risers, impeller, etc.

5. Oil pressure was good too!

6. My idle was very fast and needs adjustment. I was idling at about 1200 rpm. I need to be around 600-800 rpm. Anyone know where the screw is on a quadrajet?

Anyways, I hope to get out soon. I would love some feedback. I posted two videos of todays action on my bucket, so check it out and let me know what ya think!

I would be concerned about the wires heating up that hot. How long were you cranking? Also, since the boat sat so long I would recommend checking all connections from the battery to the starter. Hit the connectors with a fine sand paper or green scrubby, make them shine. There might be some corrosion on the connections and causing high resistance. Sounds like the ground might be corroded somewhere and cuasing it to heat up.

The other thing I do when I break any heavy electrical connections (battery terminals, starter, etc) is clean them, and I add a very thin layer of marine grease on both sides of the connector then tighten them up.

I would be concerned about the wires heating up that hot. How long were you cranking? Also, since the boat sat so long I would recommend checking all connections from the battery to the starter. Hit the connectors with a fine sand paper or green scrubby, make them shine. There might be some corrosion on the connections and causing high resistance. Sounds like the ground might be corroded somewhere and cuasing it to heat up.

The other thing I do when I break any heavy electrical connections (battery terminals, starter, etc) is clean them, and I add a very thin layer of marine grease on both sides of the connector then tighten them up.

I was cranking periodically for a good 30-40 minutes. I took breaks, adjusted things, etc. My electrical contacts were pretty corroded before I got the carb back, so I sprayed some battery terminal cleaner on them which cut down on the green corrosion. I will follow the wires back and take a look. My boat also doesn't have a perko switch if that means anything.

Hey guys! It seems I've ironed out the rest of my issues. I cleaned all the electrical up and sprayed the starter ground with battery terminal cleaner and that fixed the heat while cranking. I tuned the idle mixture screw on the carb to lower my idle speed from about 1300 rpm to 750 rpm. I have no leaks. The engine is staying cool. I ran the motor for about an hour and a half. Goes in and out of gear smoothly. Revs are responsive. Doesn't stall in idle. Sounds great at higher rpms (2000-3500). Every time I turned it off, it started right back up. It seems I am all ready for my test run! I will get out some day this week hopefully. Anways, I uploaded a few more videos of the motor idling at the proper rpm!

You must be ripe and ready. You've been at it for quite some time I sure hope when you finally get her out there this week that you have a good, smooth and great day. You deserve it after all this hard and patient and careful step by step process.

Good luck!

Well guys!!! Friday was the day! The admiral and I got her out for about 5 hours and had a blast. Overall it was a successful day with some hiccups, but the boat hadn't seen the water in 11 years, so of course there were going to be issues. We cruised up and down the ICW from Juno down to Palm Beach Gardens. I didn't want to go too far in case we needed a tow or something.

Some of my issues:

-After doing some research, I have determined I need a new fuel pump (I already ordered a new one). The boat starts hard and every time I got the engine above 3,200 rpms it would bog down and lose power. I also noticed some fuel/sludge dripping (slowly) from near the pump/ water sep. I believe it is the pump since the filter is tight and brand new. The pump is about 100 deer and will be an easy swap. I wasn't worried about the tiny amount of fuel (I know it can blow and I'm always VERY cautious) because I was also leaking a little water from a loose hose clamp near the raw water pump. I monitored the situation the whole way and kept the dog house off most of the ride. I never smelled fuel, but rather a few drips of varnish from that old, leaky pump.

-Also, after swapping the thermostat housing (Yamaha) with a Merc one, I wasn't getting any reading from my temp gauge. I will play with it and convert it to how the Merc housing is set up and see if this resolves my issue. The engine ran at a good temp and I monitored the situation by feeling the temp of the manifolds, risers, and thermostat every few minutes.

-My speedo didn't work.

-My depth finder almost gave me a heart attack lol. It seemed like it worked most of the time, but it would jump around and go from 10+ ft. to under 5 ft. randomly. It also quit working the last 30 minutes of our journey.

-I broke down once (after attempting to shift to neutral) and couldn't get the motor started again for 20 minutes. I think this is fuel pump related after doing some research.

-I noticed while flushing out the motor that only about half of my gauges were backlit. Why was this? Is it an issue with my wiring, or is this common for the 95' 2130ss?

-I was shocked that my trim senders actually worked! Go Yamaha!!!

-No bellows leaks! After 20 years...speaks to the quality of Yamaha again!

-Every time I shifted out of gear and into neutral while docking my motor cut off. Again, I think this is also fuel pump/fuel related, but I sped up the idle on my carb to help alleviate this issue and will test it next time.

Overall it was a blast! This boat rides great and handles waves relatively well. I can't wait to work through these issues so I can work on upgrading my boat instead!

Excellent! Looking really good. That teal color reminds me of vintage cars from the 50's.

Going through your pics and I'm astonished to see things like this!

WP_20140810_002_zps76ea8861.jpg

I forget but did you ever have the motor completely out? I don't think so because you were asking about the motor mounts IIRC so probably not. The reason I ask is because that would've been a good time to blast it and put a nice, fresh coat of paint on it and it'll look brand spanking new like pretty much the rest of the boat. But you can still do that with the motor in, just a little harder. But the boat and the interior and the upholstery is in really great shape.

That helm is pretty cool too. Looks like some type of walnut burl or something similar. What are you thinking of getting for a GPS? What about the other upgrades you're thinking of?

Nope motor was never out and I did put three coats of rustoleum on the motor as best as I could.

I honestly I can't believe that : 1) found a boat this old in this great of shape and 2) paid what I did for this boat!

With pictures like that you just got to understand that this boat has never seen fresh water. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing it's just in a salt water environment you have to thoroughly flush out the motor and replace manifolds/risers every 3-5 years. When I picked this beauty up, everything including the fuel water sep was original! LOL the PO paid for indoor storage and never used the boat except for maybe 20-25 times in 20 years based on their logs.

As for upgrades: I thought about a gps, but just don't see the boat. I am getting an android so I can have the gps app and that will be good enough for me! Currently my boat only has two speakers and no battery cut off switch. I am going to rectify that and put in four speakers+sub and dual batteries with a cut off switch. After that I am definitely going to add sea dek or something like it and then possibly docking lights. In a few years I may add SS one-piece manifolds/risers and a true through hull exhaust.

If the motor dies while shifting out of gear I would look into the shift interrupter settings along with your idle speed and idle mixture.

If the motor dies while shifting out of gear I would look into the shift interrupter settings along with your idle speed and idle mixtur

Will do!