williamsrt

2013 264 Xtreme 8.2l engine smoked 53 hours total

Hi All,

Well the boat is back home and out of the shop. I ran it today with no issues and everything is back to normal. There was no cracked block or head gasket issues. They pulled the 8.2 engine out of the boat and put in a new starter, new impeller, changed the oil and new oil filter, and put the engine back into the boat. Total deer 1350... What I did find funny was they were able to pull the following from the computer...Just still amazes me how much they can see.

0-699 rpm 23h 19min idle and trolling

700-1499 rpm 8h 57min more of the same

1500-1999 rpm 2h 13min tubing

2000-2499 rpm 3h 30min tubing

2500-3499 rpm 8h 30min majority of tubing

3500-3999 rpm 2h 16min cruising

4000-4599 rpm 2h 3 min crusing

4600-4999 rpm 2h 6 min going really fast

5150-5150+ rpm 0 hr 0 min

V/r

Randall

Hi All,

Well the boat is back home and out of the shop. I ran it today with no issues and everything is back to normal. There was no cracked block or head gasket issues. They pulled the 8.2 engine out of the boat and put in a new starter, new impeller, changed the oil and new oil filter, and put the engine back into the boat. Total deer 1350... What I did find funny was they were able to pull the following from the computer...Just still amazes me how much they can see.

0-699 rpm 23h 19min idle and trolling

700-1499 rpm 8h 57min more of the same

1500-1999 rpm 2h 13min tubing

2000-2499 rpm 3h 30min tubing

2500-3499 rpm 8h 30min majority of tubing

3500-3999 rpm 2h 16min cruising

4000-4599 rpm 2h 3 min crusing

4600-4999 rpm 2h 6 min going really fast

5150-5150+ rpm 0 hr 0 min

V/r

Randall

My much beloved 454 MAG had one bad habit, and that was hydro-locking. Happened 3 times over the course of 16 years. We always acted immediately to get the water out, replace oil, impeller (which was usually the initial failing part), etc... and it always ran great afterwards so I hope the same good fortune for you.

Also, if you were amazed that they could pull that data you may get a kick out of this. I downloaded 2 different pedometer apps on my smart phone (iPhone in my case). Both immediately showed me my steps, by day, for the last week. And they were identical. I was a little taken aback. You mean YOU, my trusted companion, the device my wife get jealous of, have been spying on me? Then I got a text with cool youtube link and got over it. Anyhow, the device is recording my steps (and I'm sure many other forms of data, like speed, location, direction,...) and storing it for some period (in this case a week), and it does so regardless of whether of not I download apps that read that data and make it visible to me. No wonder the cops want to be able to look at you're phone. I have no plans to commit grand larceny, but if I ever do, it won't be with an iPhone in my pocket.

Again, good luck with your engine.

Great News!!!

I still don't understand how leaving the drains open caused the engine to hydro lock and get water in the oil? Can someone please explain that to me?

Just to add my .02 and headache history..

Just after purchasing my 2011 Sunesta 264 with the 8.2 Merc, I had it in my driveway with the muffs streaming water in the out drive. Started it up and shortly thereafter heard alarms that I thought were due to the depth alarm going off since I was in my driveway (old boat used to do this).. Well, ended up cooking the impeller..repair shop at my marina stated they HAD to pull the engine to change impellers,,$800 bucks..put boat back in water, to the lake..rough water day with waves lapping at the stern..engine freezes on start up..locked up. Burnt up starter/solenoid trying to turn frozen engine over. Pulled boat.. Mechanic found shredded/burned rubber exhaust flap pieces in exhaust.. which allowed the reflux of water back into cylinders/oil. Starter replaced, exhaust flaps replaced...so...about $2000 bucks later, boat runs great.

Wingnut,

Second question can I remove the valve stem in the flush out port so I don't have to worry about the green nipples ever being under pressure? Then when it becomes winter again put the valve stem back in and flush the system out? The boat is only used in fresh water. Or will removing the valve cause water to be push up the small air tubes?

Thanks, Randall

All the auto drain fittings are on the discharge side of the raw water pump except for the one on the pump tower. If you are worried about a repeat performance then remove the 1/8" actuator hoses and forget them. No water will come out as they are on the other side of the drain valve diaphragms. Your a fresh water boat and the only time I would use the drain system is for winterization. If the valve did not seal then it's either defective, of some debris got lodged in them. Don't use the system. I do a tap water flush in the fall on muffs to get some engine heat in her before the end of season oil change. That's the only time I use the drain system, before introducing the antifreeze. W

Randall,

Glad to see you're back in the water and didn't sustain anymore damage than what you described. I'm sure you're glad to get back on the water to enjoy your great 264! I probably do overkill but replace my impeller every 2 years and have some buying ours in '09. The last time I pulled the impeller after 2 seasons and nearly 100 hours it looked nearly new when I laid it side by side with the new one.

Rod

Wingnut,

How do you measure your raw water discharge pressure I saw you mentioned in a post?

I have a 8.1L Volvo.

Thanks,

Rod

Some hydrolocked engines at near idle take repeated lockings. Member had a rebuilt engine do it many times. Then they bought & installed the higher risers & no more lockups. Some people do get more lucky. Was 6 to 7 years ago.

Turns out they were trying to save money by using the old short risers. The newer engines had cam timing overlap. Old engines did not have that cam overlap timing.