Sign in to follow this  
TRIPC

Drive line gear lube VANISHED

Ok guys. I have a 2008 310 Sig. Twin 5.0 Mpi with bravo 3. Just got the boat serviced in may and everything was tip top. I haven't been to the boat in about a month. I live in Texas and it's been hot. I get out to boat today. Checked things over. Look at both gear lube reservoirs and they are both dry. I pulled the top and there is a small amount of sludge in both. Could the heat have something to do with it. Or could I have a leak of some sort. Any idea how to get the sludge out of the bottom of the reseviors.

Can't explain the lack of lube........I know that it is normal to need to add fluid after replacing, but certainly not the entire contents of the res. Maybe whoever did the replacement did it wrong? You fill from the bottom of the drive till it comes out the vent, then after closing the vent, fill till it enters the reservoir (cap off the reservoir of course!), then top it off after removing filler tube and replacing filler plug screw. Now some times it can be difficult to reinstall the plug especially with drive fluid pouring out!!! I feel you need to go slow injecting the lube to allow it to fill and settle as you go-not very hard as the lube is so thick anyway and goes in slow. Only other solution is leak out side of boat in water (did you change the small gaskets on both the fill and vent screws??), or in the bilge. I had to tighten hose clamp under res once on mine because it developed a slow drip. I have a friend that had developed small holes in the body of the drives from corrosion (corrosion being a common issue with the bravo3) and he was adding the full amount of the res per day!!! He also noticed an oil sheen around his boat. He was able to get full replacement drives under warranty!!

As far as cleaning the bottom of the res, I shove an absorbent cloth in there and use a screw driver to push it around to absorb the gunk. This I do every year at the end of the season A mute point if your drive is empty tho.......I would make sure you have oil in them first. Good luck!!

If you don't see any gear oil in the bilge, or a rainbow slick outside the boat, I think you simply had an air void drives from when the drives last had the gear oil changed. If everything looks fine, clean the gear oil reservoir as best you can of sludge. When you remove the caps for the reservoir, ensure the flat rubber gasket seal found on the underside of the cap is in place in the cap when the cap is re-installed.

Personally I have found the most reliable way to avoid air voids when changing the gear oil for an Alpha 1 Gen II or a Bravo drive is to do the following:

1. drain the gear oil completely

2. clean the reservoir bottle of accumulated sludge. If time is not an issue, the gear oil reservoir can be removed from the boat, and then cleaned thoroughly. After cleaning, I like to use compressed air to help further remove any residual cleaning agent or sludge. If time is an issue, then cleaning the oil reservoir with shop towels and something to allow the shop towel to move around the inside bottom of the reservoir will help. Access through the small cap opening will limit how much sludge can be reached.

3. add new gear oil to the drive and reservoir. Typically after draining the gear oil and cleaning the reservoir, I ensure the cap is removed from the reservoir, and then pressure fill the drive. Once the gear oil can be seen at the top drain plug in the drive, I install that drain plug and washer seal, and then slowly continue to pressure fill the drive until I can see gear oil starting to enter the gear oil reservoir. As soon as I see oil coming into the reservoir, I stop pressure filling. Gear oil will continue to come up into the reservoir for a time. Remove the device filling the drive with gear oil, and install the bottom drain plug and washer seal.

4. add gear oil as needed to bring the oil reservoir up to the proper fill line.

If it was my boat, I would go back to the servicing dealer, have them pull the boat and check the fluid levels in the drives. It might be that they filled them from the top hole, causing an air pocket, or they forgot the O ring gasket on the fill plug and the oil has all drained out. Do not run the drives until you know they have oil in them. That would be a very expensive fix.

brick

The chance of both units leaking and going completely dry at the same time is low. The servicing dealer drained and refilled them but didn't run them. The manual says "New installations may require as much as 470 mL (16 fl oz) of gear lube added to the monitor bottle during the breakā€‘in period (20 hours of running time)." This can also apply to regular draining and refills.

Went to boat today. Filled both reserviors with gear lube. Took the boat out. Went a few miles at 4000rpm. All is running good. Stop to hang out and check fluid. All looked good. Still holding the fill line. Went back to the dock and all is fine UNTIL . I turn to park the boat down my area of the marina. My port engine gear lube alarm goes off. I park the boat and check the reservior and it's bone dry. The Starboard looked ok but the port was empty. No oil in bilge. A slight rainbow on the water but couldn't tell if it was oil.

What to do now. What could it be and why would at 1st in would be on both drives

At this point you have a choice. Fill the bottle, and do the same run again, or get the boat looked at.

I think they forgot the O ring or didn't tighten the fill screw.

brick

Let's hope so. I hate to pull the boat out of water for a loose plug. But I guess it will be on there dime. It sucks if they messed up on both drives

I would not run the drives until the issue is resolved. You appear to be loosing drive oil very quickly, which would result in catastrophic failure.

brick