Knot Today

Thinking of Buying. Need Some Input Please

i currently own a 2007 crownline 210ls....had it for 4 years and love it...but its getting a little tight when kids start bringing friends and such....

been looking at the 244 sunseta...looks like a great boat....

it seems to me that chaparral has had some quality control issues with cust. service and boat quality by some of the boards and reviews i have read

not really sure what i want to get...well i really want a cobalt but who are we kidding here...

wife REALLY likes the wake tower bimini combo set up...as do i...

could any of you shed some light on chaparral as a company and cust service dealings you have had...

why should i choose a chap over ...say bryant, another crownline, sea ray etc..

thank you in advance for the input

Joe

I would not expect any boat to be completely trouble free over it's lifetime.

I just bought a new Chap in May and I've been very, very happy with it. This is my 3rd Chap since 1995, and I've had good, long ownership experiences.

Also, whatever brand you get, get it from a good dealer who you believe will help you when you need it.

Good luck.

I am on my 4th Chaparral, over 20 plus years. I have had great luck with my boats, and super service from my dealer (Huggins Outboard). Find a good dealer, and welcome to the Chap family.

brick

A good dealer is the key.. where are you located? And then maybe some will PM you with good suggestions or not where to go

My wife and chose the 246 SSi WT over the 244 mainly because of cockpit seating arrangement. We had similar situation as you - outgrew the 20' runabout after 3 boys + friends was too much.

Not knocking the 244 - it's a great boat, just wasn't the one for us.

Wrt concerns about quality, etc you have read on this forum. I'd say half are legit concerns where the owner has reasonable expectations, the boat had some sloppy workmanship, the dealer wasn't attentive, etc. The other half appear to me to be unrealistic expectations of first time buyers and/or first time new boat buyers who would be complaining no matter who the builder was.

I can say this: I've found one or two issues on my boat that probably shouldn't have left the factory. The dealer fixed no questions asked. I am happy with my Chaparral and would go buy another one without hesitation from my local dealer. I would inspect it and would likely have a punch list, but I wouldn't have any serious reservations. Every winter I go to the boat shows and have my flirtations with the Cobalts but I always conclude that the delta cost is just not worth it, and I can't see any real comparison between the Crownlines, Regals, and Four Winns. And they all have their complaints about quality issues as well. I'm speaking of the sportboat lines such as SSi, SSX, and Sunesta. I don't have any experience with cruisers so I can't comment on the Sigs.

We love our 244 Xtreme. Yes, a few things needed attention and in one case, some re-engineering (bow cushion filler brace), but 100% pleased with our boat. As the others said, I think it's unrealistic to expect any boat to be 100% right at any moment in time, including new. Toyotas, yes, but with non-mass-produced items such as boats, expect a few glitches.

I'll tell you one thing, I've never, ever, owned something that turns as many heads and gets as many compliments as our 244. And, I've owned some pretty nice things over the years! Seriously, when we boat at Tahoe and stop at a dock, kids, teens, adults all comment on what a beautiful boat it is. Chap just seemed to get the design right.

Chaparral is a great brand. Yes Cobalt is better, but Chaparral is actually better than Crownline. Chaparrals have deeper, more stable hulls and are very heavy, solid boats. You can't go wrong with a Chaparral.

The truth about buying a boat ?

Millions are made every year all around the world.

Only a small percentage of people have real pieces of new crap.

The rest of us get minor easily repaired boats.

What is most important ? BE LUCKY !! I have not EVER in 76 years been unlucky in anything in life. No one collects complete accurate data on the happy people.

Almost forgot. NEVER NEVER buy a toy that has a wonderful fan club. Their interests could be miles removed from yours.

ALWAYS pick & buy what object holds your interest the most. You can tolerate & stay with anything that you really like at first sight.

The odds of staying with a reliable & ugly looking WW II tugboat are extremely low & pure agony.

Buy what YOU admire. Even if only 95% of the owners are happy.

You will probably become another one of them.

Enjoy whatever you want visually. ...........................Remember...........No luck.............no happiness.

Can only add my .02. Coming from a 2008 crownline 19ss to the 244 sunesta. While I loved both boats you cant believe the difference in ride quality and room. I use the boat more now cause it feels safer, sits higher in the water, and has a lot more room. I have had it now for 3 years problem free. Loved the corownline, but I dont think you can even compare these boats to each other. Good luck

I'm on season 7 with my 256SSi and I have had 0 issues with my boat. Quality is great, fit and finish is above avg. and the service I have received and continue to receive from my dealer has been perfect.

I have owned 2 crownlines, a 23 & 25 foot cuddie. They are a very good boat! My problem was, the 2 dealers close by dropped the line when CL was bought out.

Bought it new in 2002. Never had a problem or saw the dealer. Told the wife to give me a Viking burial in it.

Last couple of years Cobalt has slipped & is like Boston Whalers. Pricing as if they were as good as many years ago. Very dated & wet riders.

Chaps have DEEP bows & hulls to ride out storm waves much higher . Been there a couple of times in my Chap. Other 2 would be filled by repeated waves.

Anything newer than what you have now, I would go with Chaparral over Crownline. CL quality has waned and they are no longer as stable company wise as they once were. Not too crazy about the Bryant styling. Cobalts are still very nice but............$$$. I would not overlook the Regals, though.

I`m on my second used Chap in 4 years. Liked my first so much, I bought another. No major issues other than routine mechanical upkeep. We get alot of compliments on our 264, just about everytime we take her out. No boat is flawless and you will always have something that needs correction, but I will hold my Chap up against just about anything else.

Cobalts are very nice and high quality however, IMHO, they are ugly and the layouts aren't that great. I have checked out the new R5, R7, A25, A28, etc. and they just don't do anything for me. I really like the new Monterey SS series boats as the best looking along with Chaparral. My buddy has a Regal 2500 and it's OK but even he will say my Chap is much nicer. The best claim to fame for the Regal is the Fast-Trac hull. They are definitely faster with less power

I love my 246SSI

300 hrs and counting

I have had some small issues

but I would buy another again

Check out the dealer first

Get the dual prop set up

Anything newer than what you have now, I would go with Chaparral over Crownline. CL quality has waned and they are no longer as stable company wise as they once were. Not too crazy about the Bryant styling. Cobalts are still very nice but............$$$. I would not overlook the Regals, though.

Old Regals are crappy build quality (I just picked one up for parts and it had rotted away, only a 1996 too), but the new Regals are nice and even have composite stringers! If I were buying an older boat, I'd only look for a Chaparral, but if I were looking for a new one, I would consider Regal as well.

I'll tell you one thing, I've never, ever, owned something that turns as many heads and gets as many compliments as our 244. And, I've owned some pretty nice things over the years! Seriously, when we boat at Tahoe and stop at a dock, kids, teens, adults all comment on what a beautiful boat it is. Chap just seemed to get the design right.

+ 1

When others see our Chap they are blown away. And I (we) really enjoy the boat. It excels in so many ways. Sometimes when quality is discussed it can focus in on just defects. However, there's another aspect - the quality of the product when everything is working.

- how desirable is the product?

- what are the quality of materials?

- how much do you enjoy your time using the product?

I've had Toyotas that have been great and trouble free. My BMW's and Audi's over the years have not been as good in that regard. But if it's a nice day, guess which one I prefer driving.

Old Regals are crappy build quality (I just picked one up for parts and it had rotted away, only a 1996 too), but the new Regals are nice and even have composite stringers! If I were buying an older boat, I'd only look for a Chaparral, but if I were looking for a new one, I would consider Regal as well.

I agree about the Regals. I've seen some older ones that havent held up at all. Mid 2000s or later are much better. And those late 90s models with the weird windshield with that side arch? What were they thinking?

I agree about the Regals. I've seen some older ones that havent held up at all. Mid 2000s or later are much better. And those late 90s models with the weird windshield with that side arch? What were they thinking?

They look like space ships lol! So silly looking on a boat that's supposed to be sporty. I just picked up a mint condition Chaparral 2130ss that is in immaculate condition. It is so solid and has been well maintained. The boat is 20 years old, but no one would guess it! The new Regals are great though and have very little wood, so they hold up. Unlike Chaparral, most manufacturers used inferior wood in the 80's-late 90's, where as Chaparral used the high quality pressure treated XL plywood. That's why I was only looking for a Chaparral.

I'm pretty new to the Chaparral, but have had occasion to really tear into it due to its previous owner's complete lack of mechanical ability or willingness to maintain it properly I have found at every turn areas where they could have shortcut but didn't. Quality materials throughout very well thought out plans and I believe they invest much more heaviliy in hull design than many other brands. I don't have any personal experience with Cobalt or Crownline - I used to have neighbors with a Crownline and they liked it but had to tinker with it a lot. My point is - this Chap was abused since 2003, and it really hasn't been too major to get it back to becoming a dependable, efficient, powerful boat. A lot of boats bought new and well maintained will last a long time. A lot of boats, if left neglected, rarely if ever can be brought back to their true selves. Its a testament to Chap quality I was able to bring it back. (you can tell I'm sold on the boat). Good luck - either brand you picked will likely serve you well - but it will take a lot to tear me away from my Chap - unless its to upgrade to a bigger one.