Neal C.

Buying my first wakeboard - what to get?

Hello,

I'd like to get into wakeboarding and I know nothing about what to purchase. I'm a snow skier, but know nothing about water sports. I did a brief search on buying wakeboards such as size per weight, etc. but it's daunting. My girlfriend and I would like to both wakeboard, I assume I'll need two wakeboards or can we share one with our weights differing? What do I need for the boots/bindings (whatever it is) and are they universal or do I need also one for her and one for me? Any suggestions on what to get and how all this works would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Both my wife and I ride Liquid Force Witness. I think hers is a 130 or 132 and mine a 136. A great board for learning and progressing to advanced tricks. We've both ridden others; none we've liked nearly as well. Don't buy a cheapie, you'll regret it. Try to test several if possible. Some shops will let you.

I have a CWB 142 cm board with Seven hinged bindings. My board is no longer manufactured but is the equivalent of this year's Absolute and is specifically a beginner-intermediate board. Comes with two sets of fins - one is a deep fin to help keep the board stable while you learn, and later you can replace with the shallower fin to allow for tricks.

The hinged bindings are very easy to get on and off on the swim platform or in the water. This works fine for me (5'11) and my 3 sons who are roughly the same height but is a bit long for my wife (5'7). She probably could handle the board but the other factor is the spacing of the bindings - a bit too wide for her making it hard for her to maneuver. If we bought her a dedicated board, we'd probably go with a 130 or 132.

Agree with Futzin' - don't go cheap. This time of year there are lots of sales going on as the big box sporting goods stores try to clear for fall merchandise so you stand a chance of getting a good board at a good price. They won't do the try-and-buy, though - if you have access to a specialty shop or a boat dealership on the water that also stocks a lot of gear, they might allow some test runs, or better yet have a used board that works for you that you can pick up at a good price.

Just discovered on my board yesterday that I have a gash and slight peel up of aluminum bottom surface on my trusty old CWB so looks like I'll be shopping right there with you....

I'd go with "continuous rocker" vs. "three stage rocker".

Buying a board/binding combo is usually cheaper; although I bought my board as a blank because it's an excellent all around board. I figured to buy once; so far, so good. Same with my slalom ski.

PICT0984.jpg

Thanks all. I only want to buy once so I prefer to get it right the first time, regardless of cost as it's cheaper than buying wrong twice.

I have a CWB Kink with the velcro boots (I forget the name of the boot). I have ridden the CWB Faction as well but felt the Kink was more forgiving and easier to learn on. My wife uses my board with no problem.

Go to your local wakeboarding shop, they will fit your bindings, and select the appropriate board....alternatively, get a "learning" board for you two to share initially - and later can be used for the groms who don't know how to wakeboard! :)