What would you guys recommend to put into my console? The parts guide refers to a Garmin 530 (no longer available). I don't fish and have zero desire to start but it would be nice to know if my kids were jumping into a tree minefield. I am looking for something that will get me from point A to point B without much thought. It will probably never see the coast and spend most of the time in the Midwest lakes.

I realize everyone has a favorite but I'm looking for something to remember where the rope swings, bathrooms, and other funness.

Thanks in advance!

I just purchased a Garmin 536 for mine and like it. Granted it`s not something that I use every time out as we tend to stay in famaliar waters, but it has come in handy after dark and on new large lakes that we visit occasionally. It was easy to install, did it myself, but dont forget to purchase the optional mounting kit.

If you are looking to fill the hole in the dash, then some Garmin model will probably be the way to go. Most of the nicer Garmin/Lowrance units I have looked at recently are combo GPS and fishfinders and my boat is most definitely NOT for fishing.

Based on what you are indicating your need is, why not just go with a 7" Android tablet like a Samsung or something with Navionics loaded on it? There are a plethora of surface mounts from Ram, Arkon, and SeaSucker that work great and don't look bad. I have saved routes, saved locations, etc saved on my Navionics app and the whole thing was a little over 300 deer...

If you want a dedicated GPS that fits the hole properly, than go with a 500 series Garmin, but put a decent version in such as a 546s, 526s, etc. Might even be able to use a 537xs.

Installing a thru hull transducer is not hard, just ensure you have access. I normally placed them directly opposite the factory transducer.

NOTE: ensure you get a thru hull transducer with a 20 degree offset to better match the hull.

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=25897

I like it. I looked it up and with the transducer, mounting, protective gear, etc... and it comes in reasonable. Would you DIY the through hull transducer yourself or just play it safe and have it done?

I opted to go without the tansducer. I dont fish from my boat and really didnt see a need for it. I personally would be fearful about me drilling a hole through my hull. If I chose the transducer, I personally would probabally elect to have a professional do that.