chetcpo

Update on my 2012 H20 19 Sport vinyl issue...

67 posts in this topic

I posted here about a year ago about my 2012 Chap H20 19 Sport's vinyl developing reddish/pinkish colored spots all over it. That thread was for whatever reason deleted after a few days. Well I'm happy to say that after over a year of complaining about it and being blown off by both my local dealer and Chaparral, they replaced my entire interior this spring. Dealer said Chaparral had admitted having problems with vinyl discoloration from a supplier they no longer used. Persistance pays off eventually I guess, and I'm a happy camper now.

I also had to have the radio replaced, apart from that everything is going well with 70 hours on the clock.

Thanks to everyone who gave me input on that long forgotten thread. Here's a picture of the 2006 World's Strongest Man wakeboarding behind my H20 for your troubles.

post-22345-0-47764300-1406735448_thumb.j

6ft 6in. and 375 competition weight, I would be worried too. I wonder who would win in a tug-o-war against your boat?

6ft 6in. and 375 competition weight, I would be worried too. I wonder who would win in a tug-o-war against your boat?

I'll see if I can get him to stand on the bank with a ski rope and we'll see lol. In the water though my boat wins every time even with the lowly carbed V6 it yanks him right up. As you can see in that pic there's five of us in the boat and him out back. Mighty carbed 4.3 Mercruiser!

22 minutes ago, Rip5 said:

Touchy topic around here. Noticed several deleted "old" threads about this topic.

Seems the thread about this issue from just a few days ago has been deleted.  This tells me that Chap is actively monitoring the forum, not stepping in to help, but deleting some of the posts in which people are having trouble with newer boats.  I think they could learn a lot from some of the manufacturers over at THT.  I expect this thread to be deleted soon.   It seems Chap doesn't want to own up to the vinyl problem.

Glad to hear.  I had a little pink and they replaced under warranty.  I hope it doesn't happen to the entire boat.  I use a vinyl protectant but we'll see how it goes.  

16 minutes ago, crvtt771 said:

Seems the thread about this issue from just a few days ago has been deleted.  This tells me that Chap is actively monitoring the forum, not stepping in to help, but deleting some of the posts in which people are having trouble with newer boats.  I think they could learn a lot from some of the manufacturers over at THT.  I expect this thread to be deleted soon.   It seems Chap doesn't want to own up to the vinyl problem.

I agree. Less publicity about problems that are not isolated, less public knowledge for potential buyers.

Several of the brand specific message boards do not even allow a post to show on the forum, until

it is reviewed by the administrator. If the post does not shed a favorable light on the brand, it never even gets posted.

Glad Chap is a bit less restrictive, but it ruins the history of the issues being deleted, and could be a valuable learning tool for new buyers.

Oh well, it's their sandbox, and we have to play by their rules.

The really sad thing is they did not make the defective Vinyl. Still some one is eating thousands of material & labor hours  & fitting the work into the schedule.

2 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

The really sad thing is they did not make the defective Vinyl. Still some one is eating thousands of material & laborhours  & fitting the work into the schedule.

It's not just the vinyl, it's the entire H20 line that has issues.

We are trying to help this customer with his 2012 boat.   The discoloration issue is totally different than what he has.  Some manner of product has removed the UV protection and extracted the plasticizer from his interior. It is likely a common cleaning product.  It is not a defect in the material.  Perhaps not the customer, but someone has cleaned the interior after it left the factory with something other than mild dish soap and water.  Common kitchen and bathroom cleaners are effective at cleaning, but can eternally ruin the vinyl. Certain protectants, bleach, baking soda and petroleum distillates are also in the group of cleaners that harm the material. 

29 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

It's not just the vinyl, it's the entire H20 line that has issues.

I understand that the H20 is an entry boat, but there have been alot of owners on here, including myself,  that has had no problems at all. 

The thread probably should not have been deleted however there were several personal attacks in there that should have been removed.  There is no need to get so personal you wish harm on someone.

25 minutes ago, psmorris said:

I understand that the H20 is an entry boat, but there have been alot of owners on here, including myself,  that has had no problems at all. 

I had a 1972 Chevy Vega that we had no problems with at all. Other Vega owners, not so fortunate.....

I am lucky as heck. I cleaned spider poop With Fantastic, 409 & full strength bleach hundreds of times. No problems. White plastic seats.

1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

I am lucky as heck. I cleaned spider poop With Fantastic, 409 & full strength bleach hundreds of times. No problems. White plastic seats.

+1, I've used degreasers, magic erasers, etc. No problems if you reapply protectant.

4 hours ago, crvtt771 said:

I'm thinking the thread that was deleted yesterday was probably done due to the death wishes being posted by one individual towards chap employees.

3 hours ago, psmorris said:

I think you and I are the only ones who actually like our H20's and don't think of them as entry level.  In fact, to most, Chap has a good name.  No offense to the cruiser owners, those aren't for me right now.  I like the versatility of the ski and fish and it's perfect for what I use it for.  I work 3 jobs and only have time to take short trips etc.  Some day, I'll go much bigger but in the next few years I might go with the 23 suncoast.  We'll see.  Glad you're enjoying it.    

33 minutes ago, NEMMAS03 said:

I think you and I are the only ones who actually like our H20's and don't think of them as entry level.  In fact, to most, Chap has a good name.  No offense to the cruiser owners, those aren't for me right now.  I like the versatility of the ski and fish and it's perfect for what I use it for.  I work 3 jobs and only have time to take short trips etc.  Some day, I'll go much bigger but in the next few years I might go with the 23 suncoast.  We'll see.  Glad you're enjoying it.    

Not true!!! I love my H2O too - exactly what I need and no problems with it thus far, although short ownership though- only 1 season. I could've gotten a cruiser or a bigger boat but we never take multi day trips, and never will - H2O is perfect for what we need.

There are a lot of other folks that like the H20 at least around here.  My dealer easily sells them at a ratio of 3:1 in the chap lineup.

5 hours ago, NEMMAS03 said:

Thanks. I agree. It's exactly what we need right now and plus it fits right in a 12 x 30 storage unit we have for the winter. I think the vega comment was really unfair, as anything you buy whether costing $10000 or $1,000,000 can be a lemon . So far no trouble out of ours and the fit and finish are just fine. 

we use the bio cleen cleaner and protectant so far out seat look new and we use the boat every weekend in 2 seasons we have 97hours on our h2o no real issues boat appears well built so far so good