capitalst

About to order a new 330 Signature. Is the 377's worth it???

I'm trying to decided between the 350 MAG and the 377 MAG engines for the 330 Signature. Its a 9k difference and I'm not sure if I would really see the extra power unless I did WOT. Would the 377 help planing and would I get an extra 1 or 2 MPH during cruising speed? Let me know your thoughts.

The key is doing mostly cruising would i gain anything as far as more MPH. I don't do that much WOT driving given I have my children on the boat. I would be interested in a few more MPH's at cruising speeds. If I won't gain anything with the 377 in that area it wouldn't be worth the 9k upgrade.

I love the 330 and that is the model I have my eyes on when I pull the trigger!

I often wondered why you don't see more boat in the size area running two small Yanmar diesel's! I noticed that there's was an option to go to the D3 Volvo if I remember correctly? That engine looks to be on shaky ground as far as its track record. Yanmar has a great reputation and yes I know they're pricey but you hardly ever see them, with the exception of the odd Sea Ray. Too Bad!!

To answer your question, I think 9k seems like a lot to pay for that extra power. If it was 9k to go to diesel power, I'd be all over it!...I know it would be more. The 377 Mag doesn't look like a huge step up in power or anything, especially if the 350 Mag will do just fine? 9K does buy a lot of fuel! One other thing, I'd really doubt that you would see any of that back when you go to resell.

The 377MAG has more torque, which will get you up and moving. May allow you to swing a higher pitch prop, which will help your cruise speed and mph.

brick

Found this on a serach

377 MAG

Custom-built exclusively by MerCruiser in Stillwater, Oklahoma, this 320 HP powerhouse uses a longer stroke and a special roller tappet camshaft to create extra torque. What that means for the boater is better acceleration and quicker planing, particularly for heavier boats. The 377 MAG features a forged crankshaft and special pistons for the ultimate in durability. It is available with a variety of robust Bravo drive options. Like all our V8 Bravo Multi-Port Injection (MPI) sterndrive models, the 377 MAG is also available with optional Digital Throttle & Shift (DTS). DTS eliminates cable maintenance and provides consistent silky-smooth shifting

The 377 MAG is a sweet motor. Wish I had it in my 220SSi. If the upgrade cost is $9K total, go for it. I thought it was about that much for each motor...

brick

Twin D3-200's and cruise around getting 500 miles per fillup.

Twin diesels is the way to go. Less maintenance, lower GPH, higher MPG and less problems.

At WOT twin D3-200's won't be as fast as twin 377's obviously, but you're looking at around 14 GPH at cruise. Or around 22gph with the 377's.

own a 2012 330 with the volvo twin 300 horse motors. As faras I am concerned I have plenty of power and no problem getting on plane. If I run the boat at 33 to 34 Hundred rpm I can usually make it from Delran n.j. to ocean city New jersey on one tank full of gas. Love the volvo drives I have Absolutly no corrosion problems with them,can not say the same about the mercruiser drives that I had On My other Boat.

No I had A 2002 260 sea Ray sundancer with the 260 engine and Brovo 3 Drive. Had to change the lower unit three times Due to severe corrosion Issues.I even went so far as to add A second mercathode system to the boat to No avail. When I pull the new boat in the fall after a shot of pressure wash and cleaner they still look brand new.

Diesels have gobs of torque at VERY low rpms. can weigh a lot when installed. Still the best low to ideal cr uise speed motor .

Gas has gobs of hp at high rpms.

Cruisers love torque. Diesel or gas.

Read up on some "boat test" mph / gallons per mile test with a boat similar to yours. They have MANY rpm testing points listed always.

No I had A 2002 260 sea Ray sundancer with the 260 engine and Brovo 3 Drive. Had to change the lower unit three times Due to severe corrosion Issues.I even went so far as to add A second mercathode system to the boat to No avail. When I pull the new boat in the fall after a shot of pressure wash and cleaner they still look brand new.

Well, that was your problem. Using drives not made for salt in salt water. You can't say Mercruiser drives are bad when you were using non-salt rated drives in salt water and they corroded. Of course they corroded. Go with OceanX or Seacore and never look back.

The THT web site gets those same complaints about only a LITTLE running in salt water. But forget about the boat SITTING in salt water.

Good wake up call Ric.

Capitalist

Take the full load of friends plus 3 extra to count as food, drink, & gear anchors etc............Test rides in both boats...Then you know which satisfies your needs & noise levels..

I have never considered saving gas money in any boat. Nor do I give a hoot about resale value if the boat is not what I really want to enjoy. Buy for pleasure. :)

I agree with Brick. V 8 in a 186 SSI is necessary. When you need to run for ANY nearby dock in a sudden strong squall.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to test both the 350 MAG and the 377 MAG side by side. So clearly from what I read the fact that I'm spending this much already whats another 9k. I guess go big or go home is the name of the game.

I doubt you will regret the larger motors. Either way, you are getting an awesome boat!

brick

The great thing about a bigger engine ? Is it still comes with a throttle.

The noise levels are lower in MOST bigger engines. Only because they are working with less effort. Cruiser logic.

I went with the 8.2 Mag HO on my 285 ssx and am glad I did. Like it was said further up, nobody complains they bought too much power. This weekend with full tanks of water and gas, 6 people and a lot of gear, It was a good 15 seconds to plane. Very happy I went with the big torque option.

2 to 4 people MAXIMUM in the boat ?

2 cylinders would allow off plane cruising in maximum comfort.

I might be looking at this a little differently. Going by the engine option list, I would go with 350 Mag with AXIUS, but ONLY if it could be specially ordered with the SeaCore package. Twin 300 hp is decent for that hull - at this point I would be thinking of docking ease, corrosion protection, and resale potential, even if you plan on keeping the boat for years.

The code is already written on the 350 Mag engines for that hull, so there is no logical reason IMHO why SeaCore couldn't be installed with zero issues on the AXIUS 350 Mag engines..

If AXIUS is NOT important to you, but power is, than I would get the boat with 377 Mag power, but ONLY if it could be specially ordered with SeaCore.

As far as I'm concerned, SeaCore and OceanX should be standard equipment on this model. Just my viewpoint sir.

Problem is where i boat water levels are low and AXIUS won't work. The water level near the docks are even lower and drives need to be trimmed halfway which from what i've read AXIUS won't work unless drives are all the way down. I was going to get a bow thruster instead.