pointblankster

Boat Size on Lake Livingston?

10 posts in this topic

HI, I'm a 2 year owner of a house on Lake Livingston and we're looking for a Chaparral. I'm fairly familiar with the lower end of the lake and have been considering somthing like a used 236, 256, and even a 276 ssi.

Livingston can get pretty rough so I'd like to go as large as possible (love the 276), but I'm concerned about the draft and launching a large boat. Anyone have any experience with something in that size range on the lake?

Thanks in advance....

Personally, I will not put my Chap, even a lower end Chap as mine is on Lake Livingston for the amount of stumps all over that lake and full size trees floating toward the Dam. Great fishing lake. I would go pontoon for Livingston. That said, I am terrified of stumps. Some of my best fishing trips have been on Livingston and Trinity River. White Oak creek you can compete with the gators for your catch.

Two local lakes are Conroe and Somerville. I live just about the same travel time from each. Yes both have areas with stumps, but at least you can know where they are. I have been on livingston my whole life as well, if you know the lake, ****you may be fine****, but those stumps are just under the surface everywhere. And don't go north of the bridge and get out of the channel.

just wondering, because i work in Kingwood, right off Lake Houston. I have never put in on it though. we boat in Clear Lake and the Galveston Bay area.

Been on Lake Houston once in an aluminum boat. Can't speak much for it. Only it has never appealed to me for pleasure. If you live close, maybe for a boating fix, but only becouse I quarter know Livingston, I would go there before Houston. For anyone in our region, I highly suggest making the trip to Lake Whitney. You can see your prop clear as day in full down position. And only 3 hours from my house well strapped, tires check, bearings greased, and hammered down

Two local lakes are Conroe and Somerville. I live just about the same travel time from each. Yes both have areas with stumps, but at least you can know where they are. I have been on livingston my whole life as well, if you know the lake, ****you may be fine****, but those stumps are just under the surface everywhere. And don't go north of the bridge and get out of the channel.

Yeah, we would be staying south of the 190 bridge. Our neighbors all have bowriders in the 19-24 foot range and use them successfully - they know the areas to avoid. We plan on mainly making runs to Pine Island, Wet Deck, Buster's, etc. This may be a dumb question, but when boats are on plane does the draft vary much depending on the size? Isn't the prop the deepest part regardless?

I live in Summerwood & go to Lake Houston on a regular basis (Its maybe 10 minutes from my driveway to the launch ramp in Duessen park). Having said that, Lake Houston really isn't a bad lake for boating. There are some shallow areas certainly, & I've accidentally given my prop a clay-bar treatment more than once. (always comes out nice & shiny!). However its good for towables & skiing as well as knee/wakeboarding; just floating & swimming, or just giving the kids a joy ride. Thanks for the word about Livingston. I haven't been there, but thought about giving it a go one of these days. Haven't been out on Clear lake or Galveston Bay yet, but plan to this summer.

I spent a large part of the late 70's and early 80's boating on Livingston. My best friend's parents had a house up there (Waterwood) and we were there almost every weekend. We'd ski early in the morning and late in the afternoon!  Back then I thought their 18' tri-hull  I/O was the nicest boat in the world.  I remember the stumps, but we knew where to avoid.  FOND MEMORIES!!!