Denny

Windlass

91 posts in this topic

There were a few threads on the subject with install pictures ... just search the forums. I have linked to one of them to show windlass switch up/down situation ... Hatem might remember that one. The install can be full of challenges as Denny can attest ... installing the windlass is one, running the wires from bow to stern (power) and to helm (controls) is another.

FWIW ...

The windlass needs to be very securely mounted to a solid base. The rode generates a lot of pull force when you try to set the anchor and the best way to do it is to back the boat so the anchor bites the bottom. When you take the anchor up, again pull force, the windlass needs to get the anchor out from the bottom and then ... mud, weeds, some other surprises add to the anchor/rode weight and drag.

Once anchor is set, you need a cleat nearby to either tie the nylon part of the rode directly to it, or use a nylon snubber on all chain rode and tie it to the cleat. Never stay on anchor for extended period or overnight with windlass directly holding the rode ... can be done but not good for the windlass and not really secure.

Anchor is STUCK SOLIDLY in the bottom after ridding out the storm. Motor gears are jammed hopelessly. Do you have a knife to cut the line if necessary?

With a winch I always run out 5 to 7 times the depth on even 4 ' waves. 1 squall the winds were screeching so high in 30 feet, that I let out 290' 0f the 300' of line.

It eliminated all the yanks from each wave. The boat just sat still on the closely spaced waves. I almost felt safe for the several hours.

Hatem: Your boating on the North Shore with a bow rider. Take the ladder out, chances are you will never use it unless your on a lake. Do you hate me yet?

Hate who?! Are you kidding me? You are kidding lol. I'm so psyched there's another local guy on this board all that's missing is the proverbial "hey, we gotta hook-up sometime"! Heck 3/4 of the folk around here are from New Jersey and I am NOT a Jets fan. :D Go Pats! The next substantial group is Canadian then you have the southerners, Texas, Florida, Alabama and the Carolinas. Not too many New Englanders especially ones that are less than 1/2 hour drive away so no, hardly, bro. Quite the opposite and I am a newbie so I appreciate any advice from anyone, even Yankee fans. :D

As far as the ladder is concerned, if it needs to go to make sure the windlass works, I might consider it but just the other day we were in the water and we came up the bow ladder it was awesome. Plus there's a few spots (Cranes Beach, Deer Island and whenever we take her to the Cape) I know I'll be beaching her once my confidence grows enough to do that so the bow ladder will be a necessity. It's actually the windlass that might have to be secondary to the bow ladder, to tell the truth. But if I can have the best of both worlds.....yes. I'm still going to pan it out and see if it can be done. Not giving up just yet. Only bit of adversity will be cutting into the fiberglass. Might have to consider a heavy duty sedative before attempting that lol.

You will need about 20 to 25' of 1/4" chain and about 150' of line. Rule of thumb, 5 to 1 rode. So 20' of water = 100' of rode. What happens if a storm hits, more rode will be needed.

I've been meaning to measure how long the line is but keep forgetting it. I think it's 100' because we were in 65' of water last weekend and dropped anchor but it never really grabbed. We were up close to one of the Nahant islands and decided to chill a bit, dropped the anchor and tried to get it to bite but it wouldn't do it all the way. So I just left it (since the waters were super calm) and kept an eye on the island. In the 3 hours we were anchored we must've drifted 'away' from the island ever so slowly by about 1/4 mile. So I learned something pretty interesting that you can pretty much get a half-$^& anchoring! lol :D

There were a few threads on the subject with install pictures ... just search the forums. I have linked to one of them to show windlass switch up/down situation ... Hatem might remember that one. The install can be full of challenges as Denny can attest ... installing the windlass is one, running the wires from bow to stern (power) and to helm (controls) is another.

Yes sir, I do remember. That was excellent information you gave out on the trim tabs operation and their correlation with the way the windlass is set-up. http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=26706&hl=

I was inside the helm cabinet the other day and it's a straight shot from bow to stern on starboard side. On portside, once I got into the engine bay and looked down the side I could almost see all the way to the bow area. Just a matter of snaking the wires and clipping them so it shouldn't bee too bad.

Hey , I got some photo's today. There is one change in one of my priviest posts, it was not reinforced with metal. I did it with 3/4 in. black Starboard in one sheet, sorry for the senior moment. Click on the first one and it will get you to the rest of them. Denny

0809141647_zps6f95e83b.jpg

If you go to the Lewmar website, the are many videos on this. As to getting rid of the ladder, I get it. But it all about what you want in a boat. As Richard stated, you must cleat off your rode. Don't let the windless take the load.

Hatem, if you really want to get tighter. I can invite you to my Club. That's another reason why I was trying to find out if your a member of Palmers. A lot of clubs will exchange privileges. Next weekend I am busy, but PM and we can get together.

Sounds good, Iggy. Thanks. Being my first season I'm just getting my feet wet, slowly, so to speak. This winter I'll get all my ducks in a row and be totally prepared for next season including joining any clubs or finding a slip, maybe even getting a lift, too. Hard to believe that there's something to look forward to in February, now, boat show at the Expo Center lol. Usually it's just the superbowl, super cold and snow and another birthday to remind me of how old I'm getting!

Anyway, don't think windlass is gonna happen now and in the end, so what if ya gotta spend a little bit of elbow grease?! It ain't the end of the world, tendinitis and all. Things could be much worst. :)

(Did you photograph the process of installing that windless anchor? Would love to hear anything regarding the installation process.)

Hatem, thanks for the kind words, and great story. When I was at a marina in Montreal, Ca. they would take physically challenged people out sailing, and used that same set up to put them and their chair on the boat

I was too busy and deep in thought trying to make it all come together to even to think about pictures, besides at that time I had a cell phone that didn't take pic's. ( I do now ) The hard part was laying on my back with my arms stretched over my into the locker putting it all together by feel, because there was no room in there for my head and my hands at the same time, so I looked and felt and looked and felt. There was no template, just phone calls to the manufacture getting all kinds of measurements to make sure that I even had enough room to install it. I also had to run heavy gauge wire back to the battery and their wire kit to the helm for the switch. Now that I have a picture taking cell phone I will get some pic's of the under side and post them. Thanks for your interest, Denny.

Thanks, Denny, I think Iggy is on to something and when I was looking at one of the Chaparral boat videos, I noticed some of the windlass they install are Lewmars which Iggy mentioned and I'm looking at the size of the chain they use on the 307ssx and it's less than half the size of the one I currently have on my anchor. It's might be small enough to fit into one of those existing (or new, center) slots on the locker door.

Hate who?! Are you kidding me? You are kidding lol. I'm so psyched there's another local guy on this board all that's missing is the proverbial "hey, we gotta hook-up sometime"! Heck 3/4 of the folk around here are from New Jersey and I am NOT a Jets fan. :D Go Pats! The next substantial group is Canadian then you have the southerners, Texas, Florida, Alabama and the Carolinas. Not too many New Englanders especially ones that are less than 1/2 hour drive away so no, hardly, bro. Quite the opposite and I am a newbie so I appreciate any advice from anyone, even Yankee fans. :D

As far as the ladder is concerned, if it needs to go to make sure the windlass works, I might consider it but just the other day we were in the water and we came up the bow ladder it was awesome. Plus there's a few spots (Cranes Beach, Deer Island and whenever we take her to the Cape) I know I'll be beaching her once my confidence grows enough to do that so the bow ladder will be a necessity. It's actually the windlass that might have to be secondary to the bow ladder, to tell the truth. But if I can have the best of both worlds.....yes. I'm still going to pan it out and see if it can be done. Not giving up just yet. Only bit of adversity will be cutting into the fiberglass. Might have to consider a heavy duty sedative before attempting that lol.

I've been meaning to measure how long the line is but keep forgetting it. I think it's 100' because we were in 65' of water last weekend and dropped anchor but it never really grabbed. We were up close to one of the Nahant islands and decided to chill a bit, dropped the anchor and tried to get it to bite but it wouldn't do it all the way. So I just left it (since the waters were super calm) and kept an eye on the island. In the 3 hours we were anchored we must've drifted 'away' from the island ever so slowly by about 1/4 mile. So I learned something pretty interesting that you can pretty much get a half-$^& anchoring! lol :D

Personal, I would not beach it. Remember, we have 12 foot tides and you don't want to suck up sand into your impeller. Or hit anything!

Personal, I would not beach it. Remember, we have 12 foot tides and you don't want to suck up sand into your impeller. Or hit anything!

I'll tell ya what really stinks for us up here......labor day is 2 weeks away!!! That just plain stinks! We need to move to Florida or Texas or something, Ig, now that we're seasoned boaters lol :D. Bad enough I bought the boat in early July so I barely am going to get 2 months enjoyment out of it and then we gotta deal with winter BLEGH! At least the boat show is in February lol. Maybe we'll get a decent September this year but the way this summer has gone, I doubt it. Typically we average 14 days of 90F or above, this year we had 4 - 5! Windlass might have to be one of the winter projects along with the 12 other mods I'm thinking of. How come summer went by exceptionally quickly this year? Oh yeah, bought a boat! :)

I generlly pull my boat around Oct 15th. And let me tell you, I get it. Have you read my PM.

I generlly pull my boat around Oct 15th. And let me tell you, I get it. Have you read my PM.

That date seems to be the general consensus around here.

Just replied, Iggy.

After having the anchor snagged in a lobster line the last time out, I'm seriously considering one of these, now.

Might have to lose the bow ladder after all. That was very difficult trying to lift the anchor and the lobster trap line high enough to drop the anchor off the line. Took 2 tries for it to free up and after that my son and I had to sit down for a few minutes just to recover!

I think I can put the one right on the top of the bow and carve out a half--round slot in the bottom of the door for the chain and rode to slide in and out of. Then mount the windlass motor on the inner platform or somewhere inside. I think it'll work.

Poor man's anchor retrieval system. Easy to install, cheap and works.

Jim Buoy Anchor Trip Line with Marker Buoy

Includes Floating Orange Marker With 100 Feet Of Line

Weather-Resistant Line Has 800 Lb Breaking Strength

post-12330-0-22303200-1408732671_thumb.j

I just looked that up and read how it works, it's brilliant! That would've saved me a ton of grief with that lobster line entanglement.

You can pull the anchor from another direction other than the anchor line itself which means you can pull it out from being stuck almost anywhere. Well worth the 50 deer. Thanks, Big Fun.

Just ordered that and looking forward to using it. Didn't realize that if you're anchoring in less than 100ft of water, you tie off the left over footage of line onto that orange buoy itself so that it floats as vertical as can be to the anchor marking it's exact location. I thought maybe you just let it float wherever and retrieve it when you're ready but tying it off taught is better. You know where the anchor is and it's better to keep the buoy from moving around and getting caught in something.

It doesn't solve the elbow grease problem but it looks like it'll help with unhooking the anchor for sure.

Just ordered that and looking forward to using it. Didn't realize that if you're anchoring in less than 100ft of water, you tie off the left over footage of line onto that orange buoy itself so that it floats as vertical as can be to the anchor marking it's exact location. I thought maybe you just let it float wherever and retrieve it when you're ready but tying it off taught is better. You know where the anchor is and it's better to keep the buoy from moving around and getting caught in something.

It doesn't solve the elbow grease problem but it looks like it'll help with unhooking the anchor for sure.

800lbs is not the strong. More so if you get into a storm.

It's really just a helper to unstick the anchor I think. It would be tricky to use it with a windlass. Maybe mount it on the anchor so that once it hits the water it unravels and floats away. Then tie off the slack so it's vertical.

It's really just a helper to unstick the anchor I think. It would be tricky to use it with a windlass. Maybe mount it on the anchor so that once it hits the water it unravels and floats away. Then tie off the slack so it's vertical.

Ok, never used one.

Anyone have the entire line on their anchor out of chain and no nylon at all? If so, how's that working out for you?

I ask because even on a windlass you run the risk of scraping the line on the hull when you're anchored and the boat is moving a bit and if it's all chain, then you're gouging the heck out of the hull, no?

I saw that as an option on another boat company that's offering it on one of their new boats and it made me think that's not really a good thing because of that exact reason.

And the chain wasn't wrapped in molded plastic, either.

All chain is really the way to go. But on boats like ours, it is not practical. The main point is the wight!! It just gets too heavy and pull your bow down. You should have about 30' of 1/4 or 3/8s chain and about 150' of 1/2" line,

Mine is 8ft of 3/8 chain and 90+ft of nylon line. Most of the time we're in those 40'-95' waters off of Marblehead and have to get to shallower water just to be able to anchor. Another item on the winter mod list, longer anchor line. That list is growing rapidly.

First off the motor is what holds the anchor road tight when the anchor is deployed, so that really needs to be securely mounted. And how much line you will be using, will determine how deep your anchor locker will be. And yes I did put mine in . I already had a front storage area that I was able to turn into a locker. I did have to get rid of my combination bow light and put on two individual ones, which was a bonus, because I had always wished that they were separate. Even though my deck is solid, I still put 2 large thick metal plates under the motor and bow roller. I did all the work, and I sill had about $1400 in it, which included having the anchor chrome plated.

I'm not sure how well it will work, but the 2nd picture that Hatem posted, seems to be the one that will keep the boats integrity and still have use of your bow ladder. You will need to check and see if the ladder will clear the anchor when it is let down. Go on line and check out the pros and cons about that style, anything is doable. If this is an absolute need, you will figure out a way to make it work. Please keep us posted. Good luck, Denny.

Denny, you've convinced me to go with Anchorlift to buy everything I need for my windlass setup except for the anchor roller and bow plate. The one I wanted pictured above which goes on the Chap 277ssx is not one that Anchorlift makes and the only way to find it was to go through Joe at Cecil Marine and he was able to get that to me. However, he's understaffed over there and has a lot on his plate that he can't even look up the exact Lewmar anchor to go with that Lewmar roller which is too bad because I wanted to match the exact one. However, since you had opened up this thread and posted the link to the Anchorlift site, I got in touch with them and told them what I wanted to do and the gentleman from Norway, Roy Ilrod was only too happy to help me with each part number and everything I need except the wiring harness since he wasn't sure what I needed. He recommended a different looking plow anchor that looks like this :Holding%20Pro%2015.jpg

But I told him I didn't like that style of plow anchor and preferred the standard one also in highly polished stainless steel and I'm sure he's going to accommodate me since he's been unbelievably helpful and willing to get me exactly what I need.

RSA10.jpg

So I wanted to thank you for opening up this thread last year around this time, maybe a bit later but here's a question for you:

Could you put out or lay out as much information as possible on the wiring? How did you connect the witches to the breakers and how do you tap power off of the battery? If you had to install a breaker (which I'm sure you did), how did you power that breaker from the battery? Which battery did you use, probably one of the house banks? What types of wires did you use? What was the wiring diagram you went by and did you have helm and bow switches?

I know I'm asking a lot but would appreciate any help if you feel like giving it out, especially the wiring schematic.

Thanks.

Mine is 8ft of 3/8 chain and 90+ft of nylon line. Most of the time we're in those 40'-95' waters off of Marblehead and have to get to shallower water just to be able to anchor. Another item on the winter mod list, longer anchor line. That list is growing rapidly.

You need more chain and more line!!

Denny, you've convinced me to go with Anchorlift to buy everything I need for my windlass setup except for the anchor roller and bow plate. The one I wanted pictured above which goes on the Chap 277ssx is not one that Anchorlift makes and the only way to find it was to go through Joe at Cecil Marine and he was able to get that to me. However, he's understaffed over there and has a lot on his plate that he can't even look up the exact Lewmar anchor to go with that Lewmar roller which is too bad because I wanted to match the exact one. However, since you had opened up this thread and posted the link to the Anchorlift site, I got in touch with them and told them what I wanted to do and the gentleman from Norway, Roy Ilrod was only too happy to help me with each part number and everything I need except the wiring harness since he wasn't sure what I needed. He recommended a different looking plow anchor that looks like this :Holding%20Pro%2015.jpg

But I told him I didn't like that style of plow anchor and preferred the standard one also in highly polished stainless steel and I'm sure he's going to accommodate me since he's been unbelievably helpful and willing to get me exactly what I need.

RSA10.jpg

So I wanted to thank you for opening up this thread last year around this time, maybe a bit later but here's a question for you:

Could you put out or lay out as much information as possible on the wiring? How did you connect the witches to the breakers and how do you tap power off of the battery? If you had to install a breaker (which I'm sure you did), how did you power that breaker from the battery? Which battery did you use, probably one of the house banks? What types of wires did you use? What was the wiring diagram you went by and did you have helm and bow switches?

I know I'm asking a lot but would appreciate any help if you feel like giving it out, especially the wiring schematic.

Thanks.

Fortress makes a great anchor! http://fortressanchors.com/

About 3 years ago off Great Brewster a storm hit. 60mph winds with 3 foot waves. I was in 12 feet of water with 4 other boats around me. One hit the rocks, one ran ashore and the other had to power up because he was dragging. His anchor has not holding. I had a FX-11 Fortress, 30' of chain and 180' of line to make a 210 ft rode. My boat slipped about 100' in 25 mins in all of this. I had the engine running the hole time just in case.

I will not leave the dock without it!