New chap. Vs. Used chap

Any advise on this. I got lucky on my current boat lady bought extended warranty. Like your thoughts. Like to get in on the back end of a 2014 model. But my dealer has zero. I can find one in CA or NY in a 2014. And pay shipping or buy 2015. Any advice. Thanks

I struggled with the same problem and ended up buying a relatively new, used boat with low hours so I feel I lucked out pretty good. If you can buy a new one, then I say go for it. Make sure you budget for a trailer, sales tax and insurance. If you buy used then chances are you're buying the trailer with it so sometimes that's also a benefit which it was in my case. But there's nothing like buying a new toy and if it's affordable for you, that's the way I would go.

A used VIRGIN is always better. Problems are HOPEFULLY corrected. Extras are added. Optional electronics are in. It is cleaner than some dealer supposedly " prepped " boat.

Sure a better used boat can be had.

But the opposite can be true.

Boat was already crashed. Stains from lotions. Scratches from rings. Doors pulled out of alignment. Unsafe lines & anchors..........Need to check for roaches & ants & mosquitoes in bilge. What working toilet ?

Feeling lucky enough to not get a jerkoffs boat ?

Life comes down to luck. Or you would be dead or on a I V in a bed now

I didn't know any better as a newbie and bought a new Sunesta 264 with a 5 year warranty promotion thrown in. Also got a great rebate from Chap because I bought in mid-July. Never owning a boat before I am happy that I went with new. The dealer was great and threw in many extras including slip space for the season.

Take a test drive regardless of new or used. If you buy used - I would ask for maintenance records to ensure it's been maintained properly. If you buy new - it's better to buy local IMO - develop a good relationship with your local dealer for follow-on maintenance.

If you can afford it and are gonna own for awhile new is the way I'd go. I have bought three new Chaps in four years. In sure I took a bath somehow but I don't care; great boats, terrific service from Nichols Marine, the many compliments on my 327 and carefree boating have made its value to me.

Lightly used is the only way to go for me. Both new boats of mine had many QC issues that were very annoying, not to mention that buying new wastes a lot of depreciation dollars the day you take delivery. Let the first owner take the financial hit and the QC hit, then swoop in and take his toy for half the price and half the headaches he had.

If you would have asked before I bought this boat I would have said new if you can do it. My old boat had one issue and it was small, loved that boat. This boat has been a completely different story and wishing I had not bought new.

I bought new and installed a lift. My boat still looks new. When I sell it I'll know better if it was worth it. I plan to sell in a few years and maybe buy a little bigger, however this is the right size for my wife and I to handle right now. We had very few manufacture issues. All little stuff I could have fixed myself if I didn't have a warranty. I have friends that only buy used and spend a more time working on them than I do. Having said that new or used there is always something to fix on them.

I bought new and installed a lift. My boat still looks new. When I sell it I'll know better if it was worth it. I plan to sell in a few years and maybe buy a little bigger, however this is the right size for my wife and I to handle right now. We had very few manufacture issues. All little stuff I could have fixed myself if I didn't have a warranty. I have friends that only buy used and spend a more time working on them than I do. Having said that new or used there is always something to fix on them.

That's one #$^% of a lift!

My two cents... I'd let the other guy take the bath on new boat. Nothing like a new boat I'm sure but look around you can find what you want for way less $$. Then take that money and put more extras on the boat or get a lift.

Buying new comes with a whole new set of problems. Make sure that wherever you are going to keep the boat there is a dealer nearby who will do warranty service on the boat? Also make sure that they will work on any evc problems you may have if you have the volvo penta system. A lot of dealers will not work on these boats because they tell me that the cost of upgrading their equipment is prohibitive because of the lack of new boat sales. Also any boat built after 2009 will come equipped with catalitic converters which involves another whole set of problems, I E changing four internal anods one on each side of the converter. I was told that they have to be changed every season or you take the chance of eating a piece of one and could end up with a costly overheat problem that would cost a lot of deer to repair.

+1 on making sure you are close to a dealer. My boat has spent about a month in the shop and several trips to the dealer. Also make sure you trust the service dept. and get to know them. They will be key if you have to get Chaparral involved.

Most things in life are relitive.

What can you afford and what are you willing to give up or forgo in order to buy that used boat. Is it the color or engine that you wanted? Does it have the cockpit or other options that you've been looking for? How much if any of the warranty is left?

Are the hours acceptable and can you trust who the previous owner was….if you even have that knowledge?

Yes, some things in life are worth buying used. A boat with a favorable survey being offered by a motivated seller at the end of the season is definitely a good find.

Have to say that this would fall under a case by case basis.

Most things in life are relitive.

What can you afford and what are you willing to give up or forgo in order to buy that used boat. Is it the color or engine that you wanted? Does it have the cockpit or other options that you've been looking for? How much if any of the warranty is left?

Are the hours acceptable and can you trust who the previous owner was….if you even have that knowledge?

Yes, some things in life are worth buying used. A boat with a favorable survey being offered by a motivated seller at the end of the season is definitely a good find.

+1 Well put.

I have bought both my boats (2) used, less than 100 hours on both. This one at the end of the season from a motivated seller.

It'll take while to find it, take your time to find the right one for you.

I buy my boats and cars new. I don't like buying someone else's problems.

brick

Yes Sir buddy. My first boat was brand new, didn't give me any problems what so ever. My 2nd and current boat, my Chap was bought with 28 hours on it and has been nothing but headaches. I surely bought someone else's problem. I'll never buy used again.