jeffreydc

Salesman blowing smoke up my Butt?

I was just joking that you we're "In Denial". It was meant in good humor, but if I have seriously offended you I apologize. That was not my intention, and I'm sorry.

I over reacted... Some times it is hard to tell what someone is getting at reading over the internet. In person I would of seen it as a joke...

I over reacted... Some times it is hard to tell what someone is getting at reading over the internet. In person I would of seen it as a joke...

It's cool.

Wow, that's the first time THAT has ever happened here...... :mandancing:

As for wakeboarding, if you are pro and want perfect wake, think about MasterCraft, Malibu, Moomba, etc. No Chaparral.

Other than that, any boat will be good. My 180 3.0L perfectly tows my friend and me (190lbs + 250lbs) at the same time without effort.

gallery_631_695_57947.jpg

As for wakeboarding, if you are pro and want perfect wake, think about MasterCraft, Malibu, Moomba, etc. No Chaparral.

Other than that, any boat will be good. My 180 3.0L perfectly tows my friend and me (190lbs + 250lbs) at the same time without effort.

I loved your carpet resto thread! It may come in handy some day when I want to do my boat (It doesn't even remotely need it yet)

Anyways, if he wanted a wakeboard boat, I doubt he'd think that he could take it 50 miles offshore in the Gulf. Those little "plowers" aren't good for anything except making a big wake and getting beat up by Jet Ski wake that goes by lol

Agree fully. If you want a pure waterspouts boat go elsewhere from an I/O. Period. If you want a multitasking boat then these are good boats but have all around limitations.

I just spent a few minutes catching up on this thread. As a 264 Volvo 6.0 owner I can tell you the boat is a rocket out of the holeshot. Planes very quickly and will trim down very well and plow through decent chop - it gets very windy from the south in lakes around Dallas with no hills to speak of to block it. I will get into a but of a tussle with a jet boat or another smaller boat and just trim down the drive and then the tabs and the boat will plow through the chop with modest speed loss. I cannot see how a 257 lighter and shorter would be better offshore unless the hull design is dramatically different. There is definitely less freeboard on the 264 versus my 276SSX. There is also much more under deck storage amidship.

As for the Volvo 380, my only regret was not waiting for the 420 version. It is a great motor - so far. No issues at all - there was a recall that I received in the mail and brought the boat in - fixed. If you are going into salt get a closed loop sea core. Look at used boat ads. "Never been in salt water." is very prominent in boats being advertised along the costs and in Florida. Respective of everyone's opinion, I agree with going for the most horsepower. You will never say, boy I regret getting the big motor. Just be judicious on the throttle when running and you won't burn as much fuel. If anyone can figure out how to practically do that, please let me know because every time I am out there I pretend I am in the cockpit of an airplane with my hand on the throttle of two GE90's spooled and ready to launch me down the runway.

Get what you are comfortable with, you will likely have to travel for a used boat because there are not too many on the market - especially this time of year. Be patient, there will always be more boats on the market and Chaparral is still churning them out.

Just caught up on this very cool thread myself. I'll be curious as to what you end up buying. Good luck! :)

Just be judicious on the throttle when running and you won't burn as much fuel. If anyone can figure out how to practically do that, please let me know because every time I am out there I pretend I am in the cockpit of an airplane with my hand on the throttle of two GE90's spooled and ready to launch me down the runway.

+ 1

JeffreyDC - hearing the Volvo is an awesome engine. I think I know which 2013 264 used with the Volvo 380 you were talking about. It was located in Louisiana and was in some brackish water but mostly freshwater. Asking price was $65k which was a great price.

Given the Volvo is a GM L96 engine with VVT, I would take that over the big block Merc. The Merc weighs about 300lbs more than the Volvo. Both have closed cooling.

I have the old '03 version of that 264 (the 263) and I have had virtually problem free performance from my Merc 350MPI 300hp engine. When loaded, however, I do wish I had a bit more power out of the hole. So can't recommend the 5.7L on the 264 unless you won't be doing much skiing or will rarely have more than 4 people in the boat.

Just my two cents.

Anyone have a read on what a good, like new, used 264 with the Volvo 6.0L should go for these days?