I have a 2008 190 SSI with a 4.3 220hp Volvo Penta, with a 4 blade 19" 14.25" prop. I want to increase the low end performance to get on plane easier and quicker. Would changing the prop to a 17" (or even lower) SIGNIFICANTLY improve the low end performance. I'm OK loosing some top end performance. With 4 or 5 adults on the boat, it is hard to get on plane (even with 2 of them in the bow). Would this create any issues or overload the engine? Would a stainless prop make much difference. Any suggestions or experiences from others who have the same boat?

I wouldn't do anything until verifying what your WOT is with what you've got. If your current prop is not ideal, you may find keeping same pitch but going 4 blade gets you to the right WOT. Gotta have that baseline established first...

Thanks... My current prop is a 4 blade & came from the factory that way. Not sure what establishing the baseline would do, as the current prop is no working well. It works well with a light load, but poorly with 4 or 5 adults, so I have to do something.

Thanks... My current prop is a 4 blade & came from the factory that way. Not sure what establishing the baseline would do, as the current prop is no working well. It works well with a light load, but poorly with 4 or 5 adults, so I have to do something.

Oopsie - read too fast and without my cheaters so missed your original reference to having a 4 blade.... But the main point for checking your current speed at WOT is to have a point of reference as you look to change out to get better performance for what you want to do. Go ahead and see what those numbers are and post here and perhaps a few of us could make a decent recommendation.

If you do determine that a new prop is needed, then a High Five five blade prop will do what you want. It will cost you a bit of top end. A 17" or 18" pitch four blade may work as well without losing much on the top end. Especially if your WOT is lowish now with what you have.

You'll need to know your recommended max rpm range for your engine per Volvo Penta. I'm guessing it's around 4800. Purely guessing though. It's prolly in your owner's manuel, or Shepard (forum member) can tell you, or good old Google.

What happens if you are on plane at about 3600 rpms and suddenly cut the wheel to 1 side as if avoiding a log or person in front of you ? Does the prop blow out instantly ?

5 blades CAN & DO HAVE LESS PROP AREA in at least 1 well known prop company. I was told that by the company tech department. These web site generalized information statements need to be checked out before spending money on them.

I went to a maximum gripping prop on the 186 & 5.0L. I was told by every prop company I am way over doing the anti blowout concern. WRONG !

I went from 52 mph clean bottom @ 4700 rpms to 4400 4500 at W O T & 45 mph. ABSOLUTLY impossible to loose bite in a fast whipping of the wheel or trimming to any trim angle. I leave the trim angle at any position & the top speed does not change at all now. GPS speed.

I now love the frigging boat. :)

I used a company that allowed prop changing until I got the right pitch. There is obviously 0 slippage with the prop at any speed or trim angle.

The boat has almost 0 bow rise & is on plane in 1 to 2 seconds. The prop is SEVERLY raked & cupped.

Forgot to mention this fact. very grippy props ARE SEVERE in slowing the boat down from WOT speeds. It can start to slide me a little bit forward on the seat initially.

Bow wander is gone. & ther is NO jumping left or right in forward or reverse during docking. Dam the prop is good.

A power tech PTC4 ...14.25 X 17 4 blade S S Started with a 21" P & at a idle slammed to full throttle ? It almost stalled the engine. The stock 3 blade Aluminum Would simply blow out in 1 to 2 seconds.

I could or should go to a 15 P to get up to 4700 upper revl limit when alone. Not worth it anymore. As so many friends can not board or have died.

The prop actually looks defective with the long raked fins going forward & the small curved hooks on the blade tips.

If you saw it in a pile of others ? You would say it is crap & damaged. That odd.

As a side note. The boat now banks into any turn with almost no rpm drop . A W O T turn can almost force air out of my lungs.

CAREFULLY work up to the faster quick turns to port & starboard. Not all boats will tolerate high speed turns safely. Make sure no one is standing at a panic turn. The down G force could drop them straight down to the deck. Testing by you alone IS required.

I also have a Wander Fin on the drive. Helps docking & bow wander greatly.