Sign in to follow this  
Knot Today

Why is the 257ssx so expensive

Well boats are made from fiberglass, fiberglass comes from oil, crude oil is about 107.00 a barral.

Thats the difference between an olded design verses a new one.

When I was shopping a few months ago and was at the dealer, they didn't have a Sunesta in stock and only had the 257 ssx and the 277 ssx and the difference between the two was only in the LOA and beam. 277ssx was 2ft longer and only 6" wider but once you physically compared the two, that slight difference in size was VERY obvious. Perhaps that has something to do with it because the difference in cost was approximately 1/5th. Either way, they're absolute beauties!

AZ260SSI - that was my first thought too, but I'm having a hard time coming up with things that are standard on the 257, that are not on the 264. Nicer dash. Pull out drawers in the ski locker. Two power lounge seats instead of one. The slick movable, 3 position port side bench seat. Those alone don't seam to add up.

A while back I did a rant @ why I thought the 257 was the best 25' BR of the class ( forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=26127&hl=formula ). Perhaps Chap figures they do as well, and since Cobalt is still a good bit more, they can charge that much more for it.

I do know it went up a lot in base costs btwn 2013 & 2014 as I started looking at 2013 and wasn't ready to pull the trigger. By the time I was ready I had a very unpleasant surprise - to be fair, the guy did say the increase it was coming.

My guess is that Chaparral prices to the market, and they can simply charge more for some boats.

brick

Because people pay it, that's why. Don't think for a second that it costs that much to make. The H20 lineup is about as close to not insanely overprice as you can get. The 225hp Mercruiser V6 costs $6000 complete at their price with sterndrive. Trailer about a grand. So out of a 26k boat, you're looking at around 19k left. Costs around $2000 make the complete hull. Another couple hundred for interior. Couple hundred for the electronics. They're still making a good 10-12k on per boat. Or about 50% of it's MSRP. Boats like what you're asking about have markups in the 300% range.

There's a lot of money spent in R&D and design though. The mold to make an 18ft H20 bottom hull costs around 30k to make just in parts, and they don't last very long. Then you have all the molds for the upper half, interior, etc. To produce that one 18ft H20 boat there's over 100k in templates and molds that a team of designers and engineers spent a year or 2 designing. There's easily well over a million it took to put that boat on the market, and in it's 5-8 year lifespan til redesign the overall profit to Chaparral won't keep the lights on. They're just selling them to get people to want bigger ones in 3-5 years.

It does?

Well, it takes oil to heat the glass to make the fiberglass mat. It takes oil to make the resins. OIl to transport the materials from factory to end user.

Marine Products Corp ( parent company of Chaparral) currently has an Operating Margin of 8.25%. Gross Margin is in the 18% range. This is solid, respectable performance, but there are many industries that substantially outperform these numbers.

So it comes down to the fact that boats are low volume/high unit cost luxury products.

Ya gotta pay to play!

brick

Factory captains exhaust, some sort of wood flooring, multiple seating arrangement options, lots more stainless and the list goes on. There is going to be a higher margin on a boat that sells less though. Sunesta being such a popular boat, Chaparral needs to stay ahead of the pack and keep adding features while keeping prices in line with the competition.

Sunesta is a great do it all boat for most of the boaters out there.

SSX is refined for the the niche boaters.

I personally would like to see some of the SSx features on the Sunesta line (such as the sliding ski locker drawers) but that would require a redesign under the cockpit floor.

R & D costs a lot, and the SSx line is the Cobalt series competitor.

Why is it that the toys I like a lot, such as a Ducati Diavel or 257 SSx, have a higher pain threshold for price vs. other offerings? Must be because they know I want them...

Well, If I'm going to pay Cobalt prices for a boat, I'm going to buy a Cobalt

Well, If I'm going to pay Cobalt prices for a boat, I'm going to buy a Cobalt

Agree with that. Don't pay Cobalt prices.

It's like buying one of those wannabe luxury cars like Infinity. Just no. If you want a Mercedes you buy a Mercedes. You don't buy the cheap clone that costs the same, because in the end you're still just driving around a crappy Nissan.

I personally would like to see some of the SSx features on the Sunesta line (such as the sliding ski locker drawers) but that would require a redesign under the cockpit floor.

R & D costs a lot, and the SSx line is the Cobalt series competitor.

Why is it that the toys I like a lot, such as a Ducati Diavel or 257 SSx, have a higher pain threshold for price vs. other offerings? Must be because they know I want them...

Patience my friend, I'm almost ready to trade up.

Personally, although I'm a bit biased, I prefer my 2012 267 SSX to the 257 SSX because it has a better cockpit layout and is a bit longer. To replace my 267 with a comparable layout I would have to go with the 277 which is bigger but also more costly. When I purchased my 267 SSX 2 1/2 years ago it was priced comparably with Sea Ray 250 SLX and Formula or Cobalt when the dealer discount on the latter 2 was taken into consideration. Formula and Cobalt had much higher list prices than either Chap or Sea Ray but offered 20% to 25% discounts off list versus Chap or Sea Ray which were around 15% or so. Bottom line is Chap met the competition back then and I assume has continued to do so.

And that's a gorgeous boat, Bob. You got the best of all worlds in that one platform with all the different colors (especially the red bimini top) with the black R-arch and the graphics. But what's really special I think, is the continuous windshield with no vertical, corner bar. I have the same thing on my 276 and that's been something several people have commented about. They also said they couldn't imagine how costly it would be to get that round, continuous glass replaced if God forbid it was ever broken.

The new ones don't have that continuous windshield. Too bad, but they are beautiful and very stylish looking boats.

That continuous windshield is what steered the Admiral to pick the SSX over the Sunesta which is what I originally leaning towards.

And that's a gorgeous boat, Bob...

+1 Love the carbon series in Red on the 267. 35 years from now it will still be a great looking boat.