Sign in to follow this  
Misplacedyankee

New owner of 264 Xtreme - a few questions...

Hello all. Long time boat owner, but new to brand and first time buying a new boat. I just got a 264 Xtreme with all the bells and whistles. Great boat. Almost 7 hours now on her. A few questions:

Dual battery usage - what is your best practice here. My #1 battery seems to always go dead on the water. I read the manual and ran on #1, partied on #2 and then flip back to #1 and it won't start the boat. What am I missing? #1 though for some reason always starts the boat when I first take her out.

Garmin - Is this supposed to be hooked up to the engine for information - when I go to that page it never seems to show the details, just blank guages.

Main gauge - 50% of the time its fuzzed out. If I restart a few times it comes on and works. I know boats are quirky, but curious if this is common. I will make a warranty claim on this one.

Thanks all for any help.

I have never had a battery go down while out on the water and I use my switch just as you indicated you do. I suspect bad battery(s) or alternator not charging as it should. My Garmin is only capable of Navigation and bottom transducing, cant help you there. My Smart guage has gremlins too, it works, but can be quirky. If the boat is still under warranty I wold take the boat in and let the dealership take care of these items for you.

Start and run on Battery one. Switch to battery two for anchoring, as it sets aside a fully charged battery #1 for restart. When you are ready to pull anchor, switch back to battery #1. In position1 both battery one and two charge. In position two, only battery two charges. Position "Both" is never used unless you find yourself with two very low batteries and you think you might get one last get you home start by combining both batteries. The battery isolator is a diode trio (electrical check valve) that enables your alternator to charge both batteries at a time, without them having any influence on each other. This is handy as a charged battery could otherwise drain into a dead one. Never switch the battery selector switch with the engine running as it is tough on both the alternator integral regulator, and your engine's ECM.

W

Sounds like battery 1 &2 are reversed on the switch positions ?

Or you have a bad new battery.

Wingnut..thanks for your input. I was wondering about the 3 way switch operation..Learn something new all the time. Cyclops..I am puzzled by your question if 1 and 2 batts are reversed on the cables...how would that make a difference?? Lastly the 2 SMALL HERD s[ent at autozone for a hydrometer might help...spec gravity??? chk both batterys and see if there is a difference.

Thanks all. Some great info. Wingnut - thats exacty what I was doing. I had them load tested and turns out battery #1 was bad and I got it replaced. Hopefully that solves all the electrical gremlins as well as all seems good now with the guages, will really test it this weekend out on the water.

Start and run on Battery one. Switch to battery two for anchoring, as it sets aside a fully charged battery #1 for restart. When you are ready to pull anchor, switch back to battery #1. In position1 both battery one and two charge. In position two, only battery two charges. Position "Both" is never used unless you find yourself with two very low batteries and you think you might get one last get you home start by combining both batteries. The battery isolator is a diode trio (electrical check valve) that enables your alternator to charge both batteries at a time, without them having any influence on each other. This is handy as a charged battery could otherwise drain into a dead one. Never switch the battery selector switch with the engine running as it is tough on both the alternator integral regulator, and your engine's ECM.

W

Bingo.

So I have 4 batteries on mine (yes, I am that kind of guy). Two interstate and two optima. For some reason they wire one each per bank. Not really sure why. My old boat was two interstate on 1 for house and two optima on bank 2 for crank. Oh well, they tell me this is better. Exactly as Wingnut has described. I had to get towed back one night after some hard partying at Party Cove and it was not pleasant. I had guests on the boat. On the Garmin, is your boat NEMA 2000 compliant? The new Volvo 6.0's are which is what is required to talk to the Garmin.

On a side note and not to thread jack, but my winter project is to get a larger flat panel Garmin and have a custom dash fabricated into which it will set. I am going to get rid of my gauges (as many as I can) and use the Garmin to run the boat. Still in the research phase.

GET A SECOND HOIST ON THE ENGINE HATCH COMPARTMENT IF CRAPARRAL HAS NOT ALREADY STARTED DOING IT. Mine came with one hoist/jack and a piston slave on the other side and after about 5 times of operation the piston/slave ripped out of the fiberglass it was screwed (not bolted because that would cost a few extra cents).

Other than that enjoy, great ship.

On a side note and not to thread jack, but my winter project is to get a larger flat panel Garmin and have a custom dash fabricated into which it will set. I am going to get rid of my gauges (as many as I can) and use the Garmin to run the boat. Still in the research phase.

Very cool project. Can't wait to see how that turns out.