Sign in to follow this  
ZiggyCanDoo

New to Chaparral, questions about my 2004 215 SSi

Just purchased a 2004 215 SSi, and while waiting for a new fuel pump I'm looking for some basic maintenance info. Manual wouldn't download, so if anyone can help with some info I'd appreciate it. Would like to replace all of the fluids.

5.0 liter engine, what oil is best?

SX outdrive. What gear oil?

Any recommendations for PS fluid & hydraulic oil?

Other recommendations in general?

Would like to take the stock 14-1/2 x 19 prop off and keep as a spare. Is there a SS performance prop that works all-around for this boat?

Thanks for the help.

For my 2007 215SSI, the recommended oil in my mercruiser book is 25W 40 synthetic blend, My alpha 1 drive calls for 2 quarts of quicksilver high performance gear oil, unless water has gotten into the PS and hydraulic oil, my book says it doesn't need to be changed but it calls for quicksilver power trim and steering fluid. I am currently out of town for a couple of weeks but would be glad to scan my book for you when I get back home.

Search for Volvo Penta Parts....online parts store has all the Maintenance parts, select your engine and drive.

Gear Oil - GL-5 SAE75W-90 (need a pump and an adaptor fitting - also O-rings)

Engine - Full Synthetic SAE10W-40

Thanks for the help. Reasoning behind changing all fluids is because of the unknown history behind the boat. If I know I've put all of the corect fluids in, then I feel a little more at ease. Maybe a little too OCD? :)

I tried at least 5 different props. I LOVE the Vensura 14.5x19. Also install smart tabs, it needs it badly. It's not even optional.

As far as oils go, just follow factory recommendation.

Just purchased a 2004 215 SSi, and while waiting for a new fuel pump I'm looking for some basic maintenance info. Manual wouldn't download, so if anyone can help with some info I'd appreciate it. Would like to replace all of the fluids.

5.0 liter engine, what oil is best?

SX outdrive. What gear oil?

Any recommendations for PS fluid & hydraulic oil?

Other recommendations in general?

Would like to take the stock 14-1/2 x 19 prop off and keep as a spare. Is there a SS performance prop that works all-around for this boat?

Thanks for the help.

Your Volvo drive has cone clutches, so either Merc HP lube, or Volvo gear oil is required. Do not use automotive lubes as they are loaded with demulsifiers which separate oil from water, and marine gear lubes use emulsifiers which allow oil and water to mix just in case you develop a leak. Little different approach as this additive provides some basic water/oil mix lubrication to the entire out drive until an owner discovers that he has a problem. The Volvo and Merc lubes also contain a friction modifier that causes the cone clutches to lock-up fully during engagement.

Engine oil, go with Mobil-1 15w-50, as you can get it at Walmart in 5 quart containers pretty cheap.

W

I have a Mercruiser 5.0 220hp engine. I cruise at 3000rpms around 28mph and top speed 45ish. Hauls around and gets on plane instantly with 6 full sized adults on board with just half throttle. Wasn't like that when I got the boat!

Propeller brand does not care what brand outdrive you have. I can honestly tell you from trying 5+ props (3 and 4 blade aluminum and SS) the best propeller for the 215 SSI is the Vensura with medium sized PVS inserts. Also smart tab model # SX9510-80. They fix the issue that all cuddy cabins have: Too much passenger weight on the stern with none in the bow. Your top speed will go up 2-3 mph and your time to plane will go from having to use full throttle and staring at the sky for a minute to using half throttle and never any crazy bow lift.

I've spent the last 6 months testing and tuning this, so enjoy my hard work :)

You won't need smart tabs, unless you add 1,500lbs. of mod's in weight to your 215, like someone has.

I only added a total of 150 pounds of weight to my boat (two batteries, inverter, A/C).

I do plan on adding a 2nd battery and an inverter. Won't need AC this far north ;)

I had an 18 ft Maria years ago. Had to add hydraulic trim tabs for wake boarding. Huge improvement. I'll get some hours on this boat before making any decisions on tabs.

I had the Merc 5.0 260 HP w Alpha Drive on my 2004 204 SSI - bought a Solas 4 blade stainless steel prop - best thing i ever did. Get a better hole shot - no cavitation - holds the plane at lower speeds.

If you can - try testing out the prop before you buy.