superchel

270 battery problem

Our 270 batteries keep getting week. We turn off all switches before putting it in a dry dock rack, but when we get back the next weekend, the blower may come on, but she won't start with out a jump. We are afraid to take it out on the Bay and turn it off for fear it won't restart. Any ideas?

How old are the batteries? Maybe its time for new ones. Do you keep them charged up? Have you cleaned all the connections?

I am assuming you have a Signature 270 which is a cruiser. If so, you have a lot of accessories that are still running that you need to turn off. Example, your refrigerator needs to be turned off inside the unit (round knob in the back of the frig until it clicks). They run off AC and DC. Also you have your CO detector, Mercathode and radio memory all drawing power from your battery EVEN with the batteries turned off.

We diligently turn off all switches every single time. Some of the batteries were replaced just last week. It does start when we turn on the third 'emergency' switch. Fridge is off unless under shore power. Unhooked CO detector ( That is another thing..it started going off randomly...a friend who knows boats said it is an indicator of low battery-- has anyone else heard this) They are moving the bilge pump and radio lines to 'the other side' of the switch?

We diligently turn off all switches every single time. Some of the batteries were replaced just last week. It does start when we turn on the third 'emergency' switch. Fridge is off unless under shore power. Unhooked CO detector ( That is another thing..it started going off randomly...a friend who knows boats said it is an indicator of low battery-- has anyone else heard this) They are moving the bilge pump and radio lines to 'the other side' of the switch?

Power should always be on for the pumps. What else is connected to the batteries other than radio, pumps & co2.

Will your dry storage facility allow you to operate a battery trickle charger? If not, is there enough light to operate a solar panel charger? We store our 270 on an outdoor lift and use a solar trickle charger.

My recommendation is to leave everything alone. It will help you in the long run for resale (new owner will not have to figure out what you did)

And use a battery disconnect switch like this.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/hella-marine--battery-disconnect-switch-replacement-key--192049

It took me a few days to hunt down and fix the wiring kludges the previous owner did on my boat to "fix" things. There is nothing wrong with how the boat is wired, if something isn't working right fix the problem, don't bypass it just to $%&# off the next owner and make them spend hours fixing it correctly.

Do we know it the dock powered charger / chargers are operating correctly ?

Do we know if the engine alternator is charging correctly ?

Has anyone checked the water level in each batteries cells ? After a charging ? Or in your case. Before charging. They could be out of water.

Tested each cell with a Hygrometer ? It checks a cells charge chemically.

Lot of tests to be done before DIY experts rewire the world needlessly.

Our 270 batteries keep getting week. We turn off all switches before putting it in a dry dock rack, but when we get back the next weekend, the blower may come on, but she won't start with out a jump. We are afraid to take it out on the Bay and turn it off for fear it won't restart. Any ideas?

In any electrical problem like this, its easy (and expensive) to shotgun approach it. What you need to do is invest in an inexpensive Digital MultiMeter which can read at least 2 amps (preferably a 2 amp and 10 amp scale). Turn off all battery switches. Remove the negative battery cable from all batteries. Connect the multimeter in series with the negative of one battery and the "main" negative battery cable (the one which is not jumpering the rest of them). And read the meter. I don't know what the spec is for your boat, but if you're recording much more than a 25mA current flow, its excessive. From the way you describe it, to be draining batteries like yours is its likely more like a 2amp or more draw. If it's not, try any other negative cables and try the same test from the other batteries to see if/where the current drain is occuring. Once you've found it and can measure it, start disconnecting things. And listen - if the bilge pump is running, bingo, you've found it (I had an issue where the forward pump was running once - could barely hear it). Your alternator could be internally leaking because of a faulty diode - disconnect the positive cable from it and see if the current drops. Disconnect your stereo. Keep trying the things which could/'should be connected "hot" till you discover the source.

And as others have said, DO NOT let them rewire your bilge pump! It is your last hope of keeping the boat afloat should a bellows or other "between you and the water" fitting fail!

I am assuming you have a Signature 270 which is a cruiser. If so, you have a lot of accessories that are still running that you need to turn off. Example, your refrigerator needs to be turned off inside the unit (round knob in the back of the frig until it clicks). They run off AC and DC. Also you have your CO detector, Mercathode and radio memory all drawing power from your battery EVEN with the batteries turned off.

+1 ... some devices/equipment bypass main battery switches for one reason or another. Disconnect the battery cables before storing the boat.

If the problem persist you might want to look at the alternator/regulator and/or battery charger situation. How are your batteries charged and maintained when the boat is not in storage?

BTW, I've heard this as well ... the CO detectors are power hogs, and complain first when the batteries are low.

Yep to above! I am sure were ever you bought the batteries, they could do a load test on it. New batteries can go bad too.