rzrbckchap

Best time to Sell

For those who have sold. Would anyone have any thoughts about when is the best time to sell? I know we are going into the cooler months and I wanted to get a sense around people's experience.

Cheers!

rzrbckchap

Spring to early summer is usually the best time to sell, as the weather is getting better and people get the itch to go boating.

Boats have been selling slow in our area all summer, as it's been very cool & rainy.

Spring to summer there are more buyers. After Labor day, when you are looking at an upcoming winter bill, so are the buyers.

If you get an offer a little on the low side, factor in your winter cost and 5-10% or so depreciation for a model year older boat in the spring.

A lot of times, your first offer is your best.

Spring to summer there are more buyers. After Labor day, when you are looking at an upcoming winter bill, so are the buyers.

If you get an offer a little on the low side, factor in your winter cost and 5-10% or so depreciation for a model year older boat in the spring.

A lot of times, your first offer is your best.

+1 -- exactly what I did back in Sept '11 when I sold my first boat, a Tahoe Q6 Sport. There were 4 others same or one year model older than mine all for sale within 100 miles so I had competition. Most of my responses were patient bargain hunters and I was a bit of a distressed seller so I didn't have the luxury of waiting until spring when I assumed prices might tick back up a bit.

I factored in 7 months of storage at $125/mo, insurance, winterizing, etc and made myself feel a little better about the ultimate selling price. The model year issue probably was the winner for me - my boat was one year newer than the two other closest boats who were listing for the same price, so keep that in mind...

LESSON LEARNED - the buyer of my boat was planning on storing at his lake house on a lift and had no plans to keep the trailer. So, he talked me down to my rock bottom price, then went and sold the trailer for 1500 deer. I probably could have withheld the trailer from the deal and sold it myself had I known what his plans were. Might make sense to ask what the buyer is planning on doing if you have a trailer in the deal as well.

Best time to sell? Right before it needs a big repair. :scratchchin:

Best time to sell? Right before it needs a big repair. :scratchchin:

+1 -- kind of like a mysterious, intermittent, un-reproduceable engine starting problem...... ;)

+1 -- kind of like a mysterious, intermittent, un-reproduceable engine starting problem...... ;)

Got it. Took me a minute, but I got it. :hehe:

The Realtor in me thinks if you are buying and selling at the same time does it matter? If it's the best time to sell then it's not the best time to buy.

That being said, a broker I worked with said in the Chicago area, things get really busy after the boat show in mid-January.

The Realtor in me thinks if you are buying and selling at the same time does it matter? If it's the best time to sell then it's not the best time to buy.

That being said, a broker I worked with said in the Chicago area, things get really busy after the boat show in mid-January.

Like anyone wouldn't guess. We would like to sell after Labor Day for anyone looking and that way we wouldn't have to deal with the process of winterization, and warehouse storage.

We will post to Boat Trader and Craigslist to see if we can get any takers. My new pet project and time has been spent planning/building a custom home and the boat has yet to push past 25hrs this summer.

No issues with the boat, not that kind of character. Considering a move over to a Boston Whaler Dauntless 270, I like the layout and it is conducive to being family friendly and on the plus side it's a bonus to my diving and fishing hobbies.