e-Xtreme

Out with the carpet, in with full Sea Dek

The family made the unanimous decision: we're done with the wet carpeting.on our boat. We have Sea Dek on the swim platform and it's performed wonderfully, so spending the $$ and converting the entire boat, including the anchor/front swim ladder area, over to faux teak Sea Dek.

It won't be inexpensive, but I'm looking forward to being able to hose down the boat to clean it, rather than spending an hour pulling, cleaning, drying and reinstalling carpeting. I'm getting too old for that nonsense.

Hmmm, what to do with the old carpeting? Decent shape, 244.

This has crossed my mind a lot as the backing on mine is pretty much shot. It makes a mess just trying to put it in.

I'm just not sure I have the style of boat where it would look good... anyone have pix out there? Most I see are cuddies or cursers.

A lot of people I boat with took out carpet and the snaps. I just don't like how you can see every bit of dirt / foot print on the floor. Not to mention it's slick.

I'll be following this one.... :popcorn::popcorn:

For my boat they unfortunately don't have a pattern so I'll have to supply the template. Shouldn't be too difficult, as we have the carpet to pattern from.

Thought I'd mention this: along with the Sea Dek, my plan is to install a wash-down pump. Toss the intake hose over the side and pull out one of those new compact hoses. Doritos, gravel and sand won't stand a chance.

I saved my old carpet. The holes for the snaps in the deck are still there filled with silicon. If the sea dek wears out then I can always put the carpet back in. Of course wearing out the seadek does require me to actually use the boat.....

Pretty sure we are going with Sea Dek on the inside as well. I will probably upgrade the helm section to a "helm pad" instead since I stand when driving.

Remember to leave the cut out's for the hinges on the floor hatches. The carpet is not cut out for that.

Also get the mylar from tap plastic's or a art supply store. Then when you send it in I noticed that they gave me a 19 deer template kit discount to the original cost.

i took my carpet out, since the backing has began turning into dust. it gets black stuff everywhere. I tried coating it with that rubber spray, but it didnt do so well, and took a lot to do it. Mine isnt slick at all. it is textured, although stepping on the snaps can hurt a little.

The family made the unanimous decision: we're done with the wet carpeting.on our boat. We have Sea Dek on the swim platform and it's performed wonderfully, so spending the $$ and converting the entire boat, including the anchor/front swim ladder area, over to faux teak Sea Dek.

It won't be inexpensive, but I'm looking forward to being able to hose down the boat to clean it, rather than spending an hour pulling, cleaning, drying and reinstalling carpeting. I'm getting too old for that nonsense.

Hmmm, what to do with the old carpeting? Decent shape, 244.

Do you have a cost estimate? I have considered it but man that stuff is precious.

Sea Dek said $700-$1500, but nothing firm until I supply the templates. I suspect it will be at the high end, if not more, due to the size of the boat and the fact that we'll use faux teak (30% up charge) to match the Sea Dek already installed on the swim platform, which was $500+ for just the swim platform.

Jason, thanks for the reminder regarding the hinges and also to use locally-sourced mylar. This is definitely a winter project -- still haven't unpacked from the big expedition!

Sea Dek said $700-$1500, but nothing firm until I supply the templates. I suspect it will be at the high end, if not more, due to the size of the boat and the fact that we'll use faux teak (30% up charge) to match the Sea Dek already installed on the swim platform, which was $500+ for just the swim platform.

Look at it this way.. you can maybe sell your carpet to recoup some of that cost and for me needing new carpet I would be looking at ~1,000 anyways.